Chapter 4. you broke rule number 3

Chapter 4. you broke rule number 3

A Chapter by Nick

Chapter 4

            I pulled one of my fake cigs from my coat pocket ad put it in my mouth; I placed the lighters flame near the end of my fake cigarette pretending to light it. I began walking down the tunnel again. After a few moments my phone started vibrating.

            “No way! I get bars all the way down here?” I said opening my phone

            “Hello?” I said

            “Number seven it’s me Mr.0. New rule your next elimination must be with fire. That is all” he hung up before I could respond

            “A*s” I muffled a fake cigarette in my mouth.

As I continued though the tunnel I noticed the change in color of the walls from a dark navy blue to a bloody crimson I began walking faster.

            “That’s…..not creepy”

            I turned left in the tunnel and continued walking. The cold stone wall had changed into a strange furry red carpet like it was being sucked in. As I got closer to the end I could smell the wonderful aroma of spaghetti and meatballs. It smelled delicious. I finally reached a black wall with a ladder leading up to another hatch. When I reached the top I opened it up only to find myself in an old bar; the doors were boarded shut from the outside and the stools were upside down on the floor, tables folded up put against a wall. The bar itself was covered in plastic and the back door was off its hinges. I got up put the hatch down and locked it. I looked around. There was dust and cobwebs everywhere. I walked over to the doors and tried opening them anyway.

            “Guess I gotta do this the hard way” I walked over to the tall pane windows.

            I took off my overcoat and began wrapping it around my hand when I wrapped all of it I pulled my fist back and punched the window with all my might. It fell out whole, like in one big piece. I looked like an Idiot. I stepped out and put my jacket back on; on a whim I glanced up at the sign for the bar. The sign was tilted and damaged but none the less I found my self shocked.

            “n-no way………” I couldn’t believe it. The bar I had just walked out from with its dust and webs that had been shut down and condemned. It was called Cosa Nostra. I nearly s**t myself.

I looked around and tried to figure what this was. Why had the prosperous bar that had seemed so lively been shut down and become so old in a single night. This was more then just creepy, we past creepy a long time ago, this was bad. Not scold your child bad more like Godzilla doing your mother bad. There is only one reason you would make a new bar look old or vice versa. I ran out of the alleyway and bumped into an old man.

“Excuse me sir can you tell me how long that bar has been closed?” I asked pointing directly at Cosa Nostra

“Around ten years I think” he said his scuffled mustache bouncing around his lip

“Thanks…..”

I walked over to the bar and stared at it; something wasn’t right and it made my leg hurt. That’s another thing, since the age of fifteen I’ve had leg pains whenever I got nervous or stressed. It’s why I normally go for walks in the morning. I walked out the alley into the hustling streets of New York. Cars passed and lights changed. I looked for ten minutes trying to figure out how to get to the hotel. Why do I always get lost? I thought in my head. So I began walking around the city hoping id find our hotel. It was around twelve when my phone vibrated with the alert update flashing on the screen. When I opened it up the shield for number four faded black. One down already? I hoped it wasn’t the girl then got mad at myself for hoping so. Right after that I got a call from fish. He was pissed.

“Where the hell are you? I heard the guard say the guy at the restaurant got away with a hostage!”

“Long story, I’ll explain when we meet up at the hotel.”

“Yeah you will!”

“What did you tell the cops?”

There was a long pause over the phone. I regretted asking the question.

“The truth” fish finally answered “Detective Byrne wants a word with you. Immediately.”

“S**t! Fish call this number again in two minutes!” I hung up.

I pressed the center button on my cell phone.

“This is AIME how can I help-“

“AIME did anyone try to track my call a moment ago?”

“Yes a Detective Byrne did”

“He’s good. I need you to stop him from tracking my phone.”

“Done. Anything else?”

“No that’s it thank you.”

“For the record number seven, please refrain from interrupting me its very rude.” She said very sassy like almost like she was hurt. I hung up right as fish started calling again.

“OK go”

“What was that about?” he asked

“That detective’s smart, he was tracking my phone” I started walking faster

“Who cares you need to talk to him dude and how did you know he was tracking your phone?” I heard Matt say over the phone

“Matt’s right how’d you-” I interrupted him

“Did he give you a number?”

“No he wants you to go see him at the police station.”

“Man, he’s really good” I said “fine I’ll call him”

“With what number?”

“What ever his cell number is!” I said grinning “ok meet me at the hotel but look out for a tail and anybody watching the hotel. Get my stuff and call me we’ll figure something out from there.”

“Wait Nick!-“I hung up and pushed the center button on my phone.

“This is AIME how can I be of service?”

“I need NYPD detective Keegan Byrne’s location and his cell phone number saved to speed dial number three.” I said walking across the street.

“Done and done may you have luck stalking the police.”

“Yeah….thanks” I said as AIME hung up. As I moved the phone away from my ear the screen flipped to portrait angle and began showing my location and Byrne’s he was a block north of me at a restaurant. I turned around and began running. As I got closer to the restaurant I passed a clothing store. I walked backwards a few steps and went inside. No doubt by now the police had my description. I decided I needed a new wardrobe. I left the store with black dress pants and shoes with a white sports jacket just my size and a white newer version of the fedora with a black gothic style cross on the side of it. It was only then that I realized the only money I had was the phone and I hadn’t figured out how to use it yet. The lady at the pay register said I could swipe my credit card at the scanner. So I did exactly what Mr.0 said I needed to do I waved my phone past the scanner. The lady was in astonishment as the phone paid the $170 in full. I continued towards the restaurant and noticed it’s an outside café type deal where you sit outside and drink coffee while you wait for your food. Lucky I thought as the waitress seated me a few tables away from Keegan. I pulled out my phone. Pulled a newspaper from under the chair and pressed three on my phone. It began ringing.

“Hello?” he said finishing a sip from his coffee.

“Fish said you needed to talk to me” he straightened himself in his chair and began surveying the area. I ducked back to reading the newspaper.

“why don’t you put that newspaper down I can tell that’s you in the white hat.”

            S**t how did he

“Your friend Brett said you had a liking for fedoras.

“Alright I’m coming over there.” I put the paper back closed my phone and walked over to the table.

“So what do you want?” I asked

“Just the truth” he said

“YOU CAN’T HANDLE THE TRUTH!” I slammed my hand on the table

“this isn’t a movie kid” he said

I leaned back in my chair “I thought it was funny."

“So what happened?” Det. Byrne asked

“Honestly I don’t know, one minute I’m eating breakfast the next, there’s a gun in my face.”

“noticed something moving on his shirt it was a small red dot”

S**T! Thinking fast I stood up, bad idea

“why are you standing?” he asked I looked at him and grinned

“your gonna wanna call an ambulance” there was a loud CRACK-BOOM as I flipped over the table onto the floor

“S**t!” I heard Byrne say as he flung the table up and ducked under it with his arm bleeding, he had been grazed. I was lying on my side as Byrne pulled me behind the table with him I looked down there was a large whole in my chest where my heart should have been. But it didn’t hurt. Everything went silent Byrne was yelling into the phone. People were screaming and yelling and shortly after everything faded black.



© 2011 Nick


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

lol I laughed at the "You can't handle the truth part"

I'm loving where this story is headed...Action, Mystery a credit card type phone...What more could you ask for?

Makes me want to get a fedora

Posted 12 Years Ago


You definitely believe in keeping the action moving.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

205 Views
2 Reviews
Added on March 5, 2011
Last Updated on March 8, 2011


Author

Nick
Nick

Cleveland, OH



Writing
The Game The Game

A Book by Nick


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Nick