Fifty Million Tonnes: Chapter 2

Fifty Million Tonnes: Chapter 2

A Chapter by MrRobato

Sebastion woke to a knocking.

He struggled over to the door, and turned the cold handle to reveal a courier with an impatient look plastered across his face. He dropped a small letter into sebastion's hands and trudged off in the the direction he had come from.

Sebastion hastily broke the seal and read, his eyes darting. When he had finished reading, he said aloud "Well, it's only two weeks I guess."

He unfolded the map inside and realised he had to walk across half of the ship. Specifically to the calculus department. He frowned. He changed his clothes and spun his goggles around his finger before putting them on. Then he started walking.

His pace was brisk, but not brisk enough. As he reached the door that was his destination somebody inside must have heard his boots because the door opened before he reached it.

 

"You're late" said the ugliest face sebastion had ever seen. "I'm going to be your boss for these two weeks" He boomed.

 

"Yes sir" Sebastion said quietly.

 

"That's yes Mr Utterson" His voice demanded.

 

He and Utterson walked through several rooms until they reached the Calculus mainframe. The punchclock Sebastion's was supposed to replace was removed with ease. Sebastion's own punchclock was inserted and the old one was tossed in his general direction. "Have some parts, kid" Uttered Utterson.

 

Sebastion had been observing his movements for quite a while now. He could already tell that all of this was a procedure; it had been done before. Mr Utterson obviously found this task very boring.

Whilst Sebastion had been elsewhere, Mr Utterson had materialised behind him. A quick clip round the ear from him and Sebastion was back in his place.

 

"Do you know what this machine does, Sebastion?" Mr Utterson whispered to him.

"No Sir" Replied Sebation.

 

"You see each of these punchclocks?" He explained. "Each of these punchcards are a programme. So the punchclocks run any of these punchcards, and theres so many punchclocks that many can be run at the same time. Everything on this ship is controlled from this very room"

 

Sebation marvelled at the room and rememvered that one of his machines were part of this, the running of the ship. A feeling of acomplishment weighed him down.

 

"And less than ten rooms away is the veiwing deck where you can see the entire ship" Said Mr Utterson as he could tell Sebastion was intruiged. "Although when you see it for the first time you will be blown away with awe. The only thing you will be able to do is to stare"

 

As Mr Utterson walked in that general direction, Sebastion followed him. When they entered the viewing room Utterson flicked a switch.

 

And he was right....

 

All Sebastion could do was stare.



© 2013 MrRobato


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

219 Views
Added on September 19, 2013
Last Updated on November 22, 2013


Author

MrRobato
MrRobato

Leeds, United Kingdom



About
Hi, I'm 15 and love writing short stories. Only recently did I discover how much I enjoy reading after reading Wool by Hugh Howey. It's one of my favourite books alongside the traveller by John Twelve.. more..

Writing