The Art of Woo

The Art of Woo

A Poem by Kelly Scheppers

The Art of Woo

photography by / Stefan Beutler

 

 

I was never a pearl kind of girl.

Always wore jeans

with holes in the knees.

                                      I’m not beyond giving flowers to.                                      

Give me a man who still can woo.

 


© 2023 Kelly Scheppers


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Yes, I believe we're supposed to "pitch" it, yes? Sounds much like a game of horseshoes from that perspective. (laughing) But I think in that instance the connotation means more like a salesman's "pitch" and the lady just has to hope it's not "snake-oil" he's selling. (smile) Oh, I just read the most delightful O. Henry story about a filthy rich English suitor who falls in love with a perfume counter girl in a local New Jersey mall. He courts her and she will never let him come to her home because she lives in a crumbling flat with her five siblings and her mother. They go on several dates and he decides to propose marriage. He tells her that he can't live without her. He promises her they will see the world; the glories of the majestic Alps, the dunes of the Saharan desert, the tropical jungles of the Amazon, they will sample foreign and exquisite cuisine and ride in gondolas down streets made of water! She goes back to her job at the perfume counter the next day and gets questioned by her best friend (another counter girl). Her friend asks how her relationship with the "rich dude" is going. The simple counter girl wrinkles her nose and says, "He's not a contender anymore. I found out what sort of fake he was!" Her friend is sort of flummoxed. She asks, how? The salesgirl replies, Well, he finally popped the question and you'll never believe where he wanted to go our honeymoon, he wanted to take me to Coney Island! Maybe it's best to love the simple things in life, then. since we never know wherein a pearl or priceless ruby of life may lay, disguised as a common garnet. I enjoyed the read!

Posted 1 Year Ago


Kelly Scheppers

1 Year Ago

Enjoyed reading your story, Fabian. So glad my poem resonated with you! Thank you.
Fabian G. Franklin

1 Year Ago

Well, it's actually O. Henry's story but I wanted to share a brief outline of it for my point's sake.. read more
Kelly Scheppers

1 Year Ago

I think pearls are beautiful on the right woman, just like a red lipstick. I love pink, Too!

4
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

481 Views
31 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 16, 2023
Last Updated on March 16, 2023

Author

Kelly Scheppers
Kelly Scheppers

San Diego, CA



About
I was never a pearl kind of girl... always wore jeans with holes in the knees. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Change Change

A Poem by Soren


Slant Slant

A Poem by DIVYA