God's House

God's House

A Poem by Kelly Scheppers

God’s House

 

 

some things from the past

live in memory forever,

like classic Chevrolets

and old churches.

 

i came upon an old church

while living in California

its windows were boarded up

fissures could be seen in the walls

and its foundation

wildflowers and leaves

littered the path to the concrete steps

 

but it was the steeple

that gave affirmation

to the antiquity that stood  before me,

that this was once God’s house

 

where every Sunday

a congregation would meet

with rosaries in hand

where a pipe organ could be heard

playing hymns of salvation,

giving praise to the Lord.

 

there i stood with my Starbuck’s in hand

on the very ground it was built, in 1897

now in severe decay awaiting demolition,

it was a pale configuration

of what used to be.

 

where a congregation would meet

every Sunday

“…in the name of the Father,

the Son and the Holy Spirit…”

 

where a steeple on high

gave firm affirmation

that this was God’s house.










 

 

© 2023 Kelly Scheppers


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

There is something so special about any old building, but especially a church. The lives it has lives seen, the lives it has affected. The comfort it has provided to those in need. The prayers it has offered to those seeking guidance. The happy union it has given to those couples marrying. The promise of life eternal to those who departed. Old or not, there is something very special about a church or any place of worship.
Take care - Dave

Posted 6 Months Ago


Kelly Scheppers

6 Months Ago

Thank you, Dave! Good to see you. Hope you have a wonderful day!
Dave

5 Months Ago

It's good to be back and to see you here.
Take care - Dave
wow deep some people have no respect for God but yes his house is where we can find peace no matter what religion you believe in. thank you for sharing.

Posted 6 Months Ago


Kelly Scheppers

6 Months Ago

Thank you!
Kelly,
I found a similar church down some isolated country road. There was a wrought iron fence enveloped by vines, a sanctuary clad in clapboard that showed only scattered flecks of white paint. The pointed windows are still intact. Most intriguing of all was the cemetery. It was only by walking through a young forest that had grown up to the walls was there any hint. After maybe fifteen minutes, I had found about thirty grave stones some legible, some not, all askew from roots and minor vandalism. Like you, when I stood at the doorway I could hear the refrains of old hymns... "Rock of ages, cleft for me, let me hide myself in thee..."


Posted 6 Months Ago


Kelly Scheppers

6 Months Ago

Vol, what a fabulous review. You really should put this down in a poem! Thank you for your kindnes.. read more
This is fascinating. I read this just after listening to Critique of the Week with Tim Green editor of Rattle poetry magazine and one of his most important areas of emphasis was write like you speak-and you did that perfectly.
Excellent work

Winston

Posted 6 Months Ago


Kelly Scheppers

6 Months Ago

I am deeply flattered. Thank you, Winston!
I love old churches and graveyards for some reason.
Here in Windsor we have the oldest Catholic church west of Montreal. It fell into disrepair but there is a concerted effort underway to restore it.

Being a Baptist ( with catholic relatives ) I envy the fact that that religion has all the best stories.


Posted 6 Months Ago


Kelly Scheppers

6 Months Ago

Thanks, Ted. Old churches and graveyards...I'm right with you!
So many of our beautiful churches are no longer in use. Vanishing congregations. The buildings have become homes, galleries or even taken over by other religions. I find this sorrowful. Your God’s House allowed me to pause and reflect on times when I was a regular church goer and why I now attend only once in a while. Your writing is always a treat to visit Kelly. All good wishes.

Chris

Posted 6 Months Ago


Kelly Scheppers

6 Months Ago

Thank you most kindly, Chris. I hope you're having a lovely fall there in Berkshire!
Chris Shaw

6 Months Ago

It has been warm and beautiful for a while. Sadly the rain and winds have set in this weekend. Hope .. read more
Kelly, I really loved this. Not only is it eloquently written it gives one the feeling of being in the presence of much higher ground. It’s sad when old buildings, especially churches, are torn down. It seems that it should almost be reveled as sacred ground. Perhaps another will takes its place but definitely without the same soulful presence. Just beautiful my friend.

Posted 6 Months Ago


Kelly Scheppers

6 Months Ago

So wonderful to have your presence here, with all you are preoccupied with. Please know you and Abb.. read more
All material things pass, including buildings, both sacred and profane. What matters is the spirits that once gathered there to affirm life.

Posted 6 Months Ago


Kelly Scheppers

6 Months Ago

Eloquently said, John. Thank you!
Immediately I thought of an old Catholic Jesuit mission called Sao Miguel that had been burned out by the Indians in the 1500's that I visited years ago. I walked its ledges and slept in its grave yard that night. This too was once a place of worship as well as death and suffering. A most interesting poem.

Posted 6 Months Ago


Kelly Scheppers

6 Months Ago

A most profound review, Soren. Thank you!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

732 Views
32 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on October 14, 2023
Last Updated on October 14, 2023

Author

Kelly Scheppers
Kelly Scheppers

San Diego, CA



About
I was never a pearl kind of girl... always wore jeans with holes in the knees. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Slant Slant

A Poem by DIVYA