Chapter 1: Memories Bring Meetings

Chapter 1: Memories Bring Meetings

A Chapter by Not Here
"

A new student enters Lucasta's class

"

LUCASTA ~

I swear today will be as dull as every other. The only good thing about today was that Mr. Bezlin was late yet again, which gives me some time to space out. I stared out the window, for once I was happy that my desk was right next to it. I stared outside, ignoring the before-class gossip and whispers. But then, an unpleasant thought came to mind.
 

It was an image of me, as a little girl with Gelfna, the pyromancer who had raised me as a child after my biological parents abandoned me as a baby. I remember how she looked, her black braided hair and dark brown skin. I even remembered the wiseness that always appeared on her face. And the 'worried' look on her face that day I spoke with her.


"Auntie Gelfna?" I called to her like the helpless child I was. My voice was shaking, I felt as if I could barely speak.


Gelfna was sitting in her favourite armchair as I sat on her lap. She looked down at me and said, "What is it, child?"


I looked down in embarrassment, not sure whether or not to ask. But, I did anyway. "Do . . . I have parents?" It was the single question that came to mind.


She smiled weakly, "Of course you do. Everyone has got parents."


"The
n, where are mine?" a pleading look clouded my eyes. I was so confused.


Gelfna's face was solemn. "I don't really know."


Now I was on the verge of tears. "Why don't they want me Auntie?"


"I'm sure they wanted you . . . but perhaps they could not keep you," she looked me in the eyes, as I replied, "W-why not?"


She pulled me into an embrace as my sorrow-filled tears rolled down my cheeks. "Th
at, my child, I do not know. I am sure they had their reasons." As I sobbed in her arms, she silently added, loud enough for me to hear, "But I shall always be there for you."


Those were all lies. Everything she said was a lie. My parents had no reason to abandon me. They just did. They don't love me nor do they give a damn about me. She also lied about that last thing. She would never be there for me. She never was.


The mere thought of that had me blinking back tears. I hated when this happened, especially during class. I could not show anyone weakness. Luckily I was facing the window and no one could see me in my pathetic condition. As I returned to my former expressionless state, I heard the door creak open. Mr. Bezlin had arrived.


 "Hello, class!" he greeted cheerily. A humongous grin was plastered on his face, it seemed permanent in some way.


"Good morning Mr. Bezlin," was our automatic and very much zombie-like response.


Mr. Bezlin ignored our uninterested tone of voice and continued, "Well, today we have a new student! Please make him feel very welcome!"


A boy emerged from Mr. Bezlin's side and stood at the front of the class. I never even noticed him come in here. Guess I just wasn't paying much attention. He was quite tall, maybe a head or two taller than me. His hair was messy, but not in a bad way, and jet black in colour. His indigo eyes showed that he was almost as bored as I was. ALMOST.


"Hey," he greeted nonchalantly. "My name's Damien.


The instant he finished his introduction, a series of girlish squeals filled the room.


"Kyaa! He's so hot!"


"I know! One of us should totally ask him out!"


"I hope he sits next to me!!"


I tried ignore it, but they were so freakin' loud. And they were almost all the way at the other side of the
room. The fangirl screams continued until Mr. Bezlin finally decided to stop it. Thank God. "Now, now, everyone settle down!" he said. "Now, Damien, you can sit . . ."


He trailed off, searching for a place for him to sit. I already knew what was coming next. Every single girl in the room, but me started to scream in Mr. Bezlin's direction trying to get him to let the new dude sit beside them. Hopefully I won't get stuck with him.


". . . beside Miss Elaryne."


There goes that hope. My last name is Elaryne. Ugh. The new guy nodded and headed in the direction of the seat beside me. As he walked I could hear murmurs arise from all around me.


"Oh my gosh! Lucasta's so lucky!"


"Yeah, but it's such a waste. Lucasta barely talks to anyone."


"I know! He'd feel so much more welcome sitting anywhere else."


"Yet another of Mr. Bezlin's careless mistakes."


"C'mon, cut her some slack, she's been through a lot."


"Humph."


My hands balled up  into fists. Of course, what they were saying was true.  I do barely talk to anyone, he would feel better sitting anywhere else, and I had been through a lot. But I hate when people talk about me like that. None of that makes a difference. I am who I am.


He arrived at the seat next to him and I didn't care in the least. I heard Mr. Bezlin announce that we were going to be reviewing algebra. Although it was mandetory for learning the proper trajectory for magic attacks, I didn't bother paying attention. I still remembered the review. No point in listening to more boring rambling. I returned my attention to the window next to my seat and was about to start spacing out again, until I heard an annoying voice interrupt my 'me time.'


"Hey, you're name was Elaryne, right? Nice to meet you."


It was the newb. I'd rather not bother to say his name. Actually, now that I think about it, I don't even remember his intro. I suppressed a sigh and turned around, irritated, though I'm sure no one noticed. I sent him a warning glare, not my strongest, but enough to most likely let him know not to talk to me.


He looked taken aback by my reaction and I turned away, pleased with myself. Suddenly I heard Mr. Bezlin's voice.


"Miss Elaryne, would you care to answer the question on the board?"


I looked at the equation written messily on the board. It was quite simple, really. "n=427," I answered quickly before returning to my view outside. He nodded, "Correct."


I didn't listen to the rest. He already made me answer a question and he usually only picks a student once during a lesson. Soon math was over and we were going to our next class: Chemistry. For us it was basically for learning about potions and other substances required to work certain magics. It was much more interesting than Mathematics. The only problem was that we absolutely had to work with a partner. I sighed at the thought.


Mr. Bezlin dismissed us and I walked out of class, holding my textbooks for next class along with me. Hopefully that guy wouldn't be in my next class. And hopefully that hope wouldn't end up like my last.


 



© 2009 Not Here


Author's Note

Not Here
Sorry if this was boring.
I couldn't think of any mathematical equations. My bad.
If there are any spelling or grammatical errors, please tell me.
And I like having constructive criticism and suggestions for improvement.

Oh and yeah, in Lucasta's world, they have almost all the same subjects as us, but for different reasons as you could probably/possibly tell from this chapter.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

141 Views
Added on June 6, 2009
Last Updated on June 8, 2009


Author

Not Here
Not Here

The Cupboard Under the Stairs



About
Hello! Well, I'm really not sure what to say so I'll just do the basics: N a m e : - Not telling ;) But just call me Binbin A g e : - Old enough to get an account on this thing legally wi.. more..

Writing