Chapter 2: An Explosive Start

Chapter 2: An Explosive Start

A Chapter by Not Here
"

Damien discovers just how cold Lucasta can be.

"

DAMIEN ~
 

That girl's pretty weird. All I did was try to make friends with her and she glares at me. Seriously, what'd I do? I think the teacher called her Elaryne, though it sounds more like a last name than a first to me. Oh well. I gathered my books and shoved them into my backpack, slinging it over one shoulder. I soon noticed that I wasn't the only one in the room. Across my seat was a girl with dark blonde hair and brown eyes. She was quite a bit shorter than me, but heck, so were a lot of girls.


I strode over to where she was and tapped her on the shoulder. "Hey," I said, getting her attention. "Do you know anything about that girl? The one that sits beside me?"


A look of realization crossed her face. She must know what I'm talking about. "Oh you mean Lucasta?" she asked.


So that was her name. Lucasta. I nodded as she continued. "Well, I don't know much about her, no one does, really. All I know is that she doesn't trust anyone. She rarely ever talks to anyone in the first place."


"Why doesn't she trust anyone?"


"I'm not sure . . ." she paused. "I know that she lives on her own and doesn't have any parents but I don't exactly know what would make her not trust anyone."


"I see," I said, before quickly adding, "Thanks anyway, I gotta get to Chemistry now."


"Chemistry?" she repeated as a 'yeah' escaped my lips. "Lucasta's in that class."


Interesting. I gave her my thanks and rushed out the door towards Chemistry, which apparently was just down the hall. So Lucasta doesn't trust anyone . . . it wouldn't hurt to try and befriend her, would it? When I arrived at the door of my next class, I checked the time. 9:35. Class started 10 minutes ago. I'm not that late am I?


I opened the door to see that the class was pretty much almost full. Everyone was sitting in partners. Well, everyone except for Lucasta. The teacher noticed me come in -probably from the unusually loud creaking noise from the door- and said, "Ah. Damien. You're late."


My bad. "I'll let it pass since it's your first day. Well, you may take a seat beside Lucasta," he announced.


I didn't really mind, but Lucasta looked annoyed. Almost immediately after the teacher (whose name was apparently Mrs. Lydan) finished speaking, Lucasta shot up from her seat and said, "No way is he sitting beside me."


Mrs. Lydan sighed. "Now, Lucasta, the seat next to you is the only one available."


"He can sit on the floor for all I care."


I was amazed at her coldness. I know she doesn't trust anyone but it was just a seat. Mrs. Lydan seemed surprised at her as well. "That is not the way we treat our classmates. Especially if they're new."


Ah, the being new excuse. Heard it several times. Lucasta didn't seem to let it go. "You shouldn't favour him just because he's the new kid. It's prejudice."


"Well, either way you shouldn't treat anyone like this. Everyone deserves some respect, so how can you expect any if you don't respect others?"


A glare formed on her face. I'm don't think you're supposed to do that to a teacher, but nonetheless, Lucasta replied, "I don't expect any respect from anyone. 'Cause I'm not giving any."


"Lucasta, I really don't understand why you won't trust anyone. Not even the teachers!"


"Of course you don't understand me. No one does," she stated bluntly.


Everyone was watching the whole argument closely. I wonder why not even the teachers know anything about her. Mrs. Lyden didn't seem surprised by her statement, but didn't seem to have anything to counter it. Instead she sighed once again and said, "I''m sure you have your reasons but can you please just let him sit there? We've already wasted 15 more minutes of class."


Whoa, 15 minutes already? I never knew they fought that long. Lucasta was staring long and hard at her before she groaned. "Whatever."


Mrs. Lyden smiled brightly and replied, "I'll take that as a yes. Now Damien, go take your seat so we can start today's lesson."


I didn't bother saying anything in response and just walked over to the seat next to Lucasta. She wasn't even looking my way. Her eyes were staring at the front of the classroom, her chin resting on her hand. I looked at her like that for a while and she didn't seem to notice. Then I felt a bit awkward and turned my attentionback to Mrs. Lyden.


"First, we'll start off by learning how to make an illusion potion," she pronounced. She pulled a table over toward her, with an assortment of bottles and substances atop it. She then added, "We'll start off with a mild one, as to make a strong one, all you need is a greater extent of concentration and better ingredients."


Illusion potions were quite common. Basic, too. Usually around the streets you'd see random people using milder potions to make illusions like sparkles and talking animals. Not very many people are able to use the more powerful ones.


"Now, with your partner, pour 50mL of meraal into your beaker. Then add a dash of pixie dust and a drop of soleryn oil."


Meraal was a clear substance that is usually used for potions involving wind manipulation. Soleryn oil is the oil collected by the fire faeries every summer solstice. It's really rare but even a minute amount is quite powerful. We did as told, Lucasta sending me glares as she added in the pixie dust and soleryn oil. I still don't get how she can hate me this much when she barely knows me.


Mrs. Lyden gave us more instructions which we followed without any trouble aside from Lucasta's stubborness on deciding who does what. Finally we were down to the last few ingredients: a naiad's tear, a dried wrelian herb and 25mL of kalrin, a substance that can cause problems if too much is added. I've never done anything bad with it so I'm not sure what the consequences are, but I heard their not that bad.


We did fine with the naiad's tear and dried wrelian herb, but when we got to the kalrin, we had a few problems. Lucasta and I were pulling the test tube containing the kalrin back and forth between us.


"Let me do it!" I shouted at her.


"But I got it first!"


"So what? Stop being so stubborn!"


"Just let go!"


"No!"


"LET GO!"


Her voice was booming by now; I was surprised she hadn't disturbed anyone in the class. She was sending unusually strong glares in my direction. I sighed and gave in. It doesn't really matter who does it. I shoved the test tube back at her and looked away, in Mrs. Lyden's direction. Suddenly I heard Lucasta talk. Her voice still sounded annoyed as she said, "Here you can do it. I don't want to anymore"


I shot her a confused look, but then she got even more annoyed and snapped, "What?"


Shaking my head, I was just about to pour the kalrin. But then Mrs. Lyden interrupted and said, "Now that most of you are done, you can all start the process of creating your illusion."


I quickly poured 25mL from the test tube and saw it bubble. I know that's not supposed to happen. I turned to Lucasta who was snickering and probably already concentrating on the illusion. I saw the bubbling liquid rise higher and higher until it reached the top of the beaker and . . .


BOOM!


The contents of the beaker exploded; right in my face, no less. All over my shirt, and partially on my face, was the illusion potion. At first I thought that very thing was an illusion until I saw the flutter of random objects in the air. That was the illusion. I sighed and wiped off the potion as everyone around me gaped; Lucasta looking
like she was trying her hardest not to laugh.


When I looked up I saw that guy from behind us go up to Mrs. Lyden and whisper something in her ear. Her eyes widened in slight horror as she yelled, "Lucasta! Why in the world would you do something like that?"


Lucasta smirked in victory as Mrs. Lyden added, "Detention, young lady! Right now!"


Her smirk was still in place as she marched out the door, toward the Principal's office, I presume. I still don't get it though! What'd she do to make that thing explode. Then I turned around and asked the guy behind me. He was partner's with the dude who told on Lucasta. "Hey, do you know what Lucasta did to make the potion explode?"


He nodded and replied, "Yeah. She put in the kalrin and then gave it to you and when you poured more in..."


I stopped him. I could see where that would go. That girl must seriously hate me if she'll risk getting a detention just for my humiliation. "Damien, go to the washroom and clean yourself up."


I did as I was told and marched out the door. This was gonna be one hell of a day.

 



© 2009 Not Here


Author's Note

Not Here
This chapter took a while to write..
Thinking of the ingredients for the potion was haaaard.
Any complaints?
Questions?
Suggestions?
Review please!

Oh and if this is rushed at all like my other stories, let me know.


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Not really, it's actually going a bit slower than most of your other stories. Umm... when are you going to start writing Discover Something New? Because... I'm waiting... and so are people who I will not name, but you know who they are... but others don't HAHAHA!! I'm evil... Anyways, I wonder what happened to Lucasta's mom, but you won't answer that anyways...

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

119 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on June 9, 2009
Last Updated on June 10, 2009


Author

Not Here
Not Here

The Cupboard Under the Stairs



About
Hello! Well, I'm really not sure what to say so I'll just do the basics: N a m e : - Not telling ;) But just call me Binbin A g e : - Old enough to get an account on this thing legally wi.. more..

Writing