1) A Day Like Any Other

1) A Day Like Any Other

A Chapter by Jock Engelman

            ‘GET UP!’ screamed a voice from somewhere nearby. ‘GET UP YA UNGRATEFUL LITTLE B*****D!’ came the same voice while a pair of hands grabbed the boy and lifted him off a mouldy mattress shaking him awake.

‘LET GO OF ME!’ bellowed back the boy.

‘WHY DID YA TAKE ALL O’ ME BOOZE?’ the man yelled.

‘I DIDN’T TOUCH YA BOOZE!’ the boy replied.

The man threw the boy over the mouldy mattress and turned stupidly to leave room, leaving him sprawled on the floor.

As the boy tried to recover from this wakeup call, he remembered what day it was " Monday, and that meant that he was supposed to be going back to school after the summer break. He rubbed his eyes, thinking about what it would be like to have a father who wasn’t blind drunk all of the time. The boy’s name was Jonathan Green, but everyone called him “Jono”. Those who hated him called him “Jono The Psycho”.

Jono was seventeen, on the verge of turning eighteen. His birthday on the 13th of February always leaves him feeling depressed and flat. He knows that no one ever does anything to mark the occasion.

But almost nothing infuriated Jono more than how his parents treated him! Even on his birthday his father, Darren Green, won’t stop beating him up.

While his father is Anglo Saxon, his mother, Alkina Green is an Aboriginal descendent. While his mother is less aggressive than his father, she finds herself forced into prostitution in order to make ends meet: Darren Green seems to drink away all their money so that there is none left for food or any other necessities. In any case, Jono prefers his father’s beatings to his mother’s ongoing neglect. Anything’s better than being treated like you’re invisible, right?

Jono groaned slightly as he pushed himself off the ground, staggered a little, and began to walk towards a tall cracked mirror that was leaning against the wall. Jono looked into it. Staring back was a boy with shaggy, black, shoulder-length hair. His fringe covered his eye and the entire right-side of his face, all the way past his bearded, pointed chin. Large but narrowed steel-grey eyes gave him a look of cold hatred mixed with anger and his small hooked nose was slightly crooked where it had once been broken. Jono’s smile was broad and white with big, white teeth and generous lips. He rarely smiled. He rarely had anything to smile about.

The tall well-built guy in the mirror was six-foot-and-one-inch tall and fit because, without a driver’s licence he had to walk or run wherever he wanted to go. His parents had never taken him anywhere he had wanted to go. His heavy biceps and sculpted six-pack were the result of serious weight training, which aided him in brawls and petty crimes. As young as he is, Jono already had several tattoos. ‘Blood Type: O’ was announced inside his upper left forearm. His left elbow was covered with a spider web design. A more complicated design of snakes intertwining with a dagger was on his upper right arm. In addition, Jono had acquired a number of body piercings: studs adorned his left ear, right eyebrow and left nostril while a silver labret decorated the indentation between his lower lip and chin.

Jono lifted his head from his hands to look at his watch.

Better get movin’ for school, he thought. He raced over to the old scrubbed and rotting chest of drawers and pulled out some boxers, baggy torn denim short jeans, pair of shin high socks, baggy black   t-shirt with white, red and green skulls on it, and a baggy black and red hoodie with white skulls cascading down the sleeves and back with the words “JONO GREEN” written in green letters. Jono threw these clothes on the floor as he went then when he was finished choosing clothes, he slammed the chest of drawers shut and quickly got changed. He picked up his shoplifted skateboard and his schoolbag and climbed out of his window and onto the lawn.



© 2012 Jock Engelman


Author's Note

Jock Engelman
(i have been rewriting my book, as i lost pretty much all of my works in a powersurge during a back up, [so my back up got damaged with my original])
I am open to cover designs.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is a really interesting chapter i like to see what you're going top do with this

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

130 Views
1 Review
Added on April 4, 2012
Last Updated on April 4, 2012


Author

Jock Engelman
Jock Engelman

Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia



About
I am a guy who has gone through a lot over the years, i have many illnesses which i manage quite well. But i am still riddled with many demons. I was bullied for many years, so now i use my years of t.. more..

Writing