2) The New Kid

2) The New Kid

A Chapter by Jock Engelman

Jono’s school combined junior and senior students from Year Seven through to Year Twelve, he was in Year Eleven. Just as Jono rolled through the gates, the school bell rang.

‘Get off of that thing!’ ordered a teacher, ‘NOW GREEN!’ Jono got off skateboard without replying. He pulled out his timetable and checked what class he had next when �" BAM! He had walked into Veronica Frix, the girl that he had had a crush on last year.

Veronica is a cute girl with long sleek brunette hair, large green eyes, small pointed nose, and olive skin. At five-foot-eight inches, she had a slim figure with nice long legs, small hands and perfectly shaped breasts. Veronica was wearing black volleys with fluoro pink laces, a short blue denim skirt, a tightly fitted sky blue singlet top and an unzipped black jacket.

‘Oh, sorry Jono,’ Veronica said, blushing pink, ‘I didn’t mean to... er, you know walk into you.’

Jono opened his mouth but no sound came out so he closed it again. She is so beautiful, He thought.

‘Are you okay?’ Veronica said, looking worried.

‘Er- What? Yeah I’m okay,’ stuttered Jono.

‘Are you sure?’ she said soothingly, touching his shoulder.

‘Ah!’ Jono breathed, he pulled his shoulder away, holding it gingerly.

‘What’s wrong with your shoulder?’ said Veronica, while nervously removing the sleeve of his jacket. Jono allowed her to see the heavily-bruised shoulder, the bruises now three days old and starting to go a blueish-green.

Veronica just stared at him with a gaping mouth and a look of horror on her face.

‘Who-? Did your dad do this to you?’ she whispered.

Jono said nothing but looked away as Veronica tried to look in his face.

‘Are you sure that you are okay?’ she said unconvinced.

‘Yes...’ Jono lied, tears now beginning to build while Veronica continued to try to make eye contact with him.

‘I’ve got to go...’ he muttered quietly, pulled his sleeve back on his shoulder and then looked down at the timetable, ‘...to History!’ And he hurried passed her.

‘Well... Okay... Bye’ Veronica called nervously. People had begun to stare as Jono barged his way through the crowd toward his admin classroom.

Why do I have to be such an idiot every time I talk to her? Jono thought to himself.

After his admin class, Jono began to go straight to his double History lesson, groaning at the thought of an hour and a half of listening to a teacher talking about Ancient Egypt or the Romans. But when he arrived at his classroom and walked inside he found someone sitting in his seat. Jono hadn’t ever seen this boy before. As he walked over, the boy looked up at him.

‘Oi! What are you doin’ in my seat?’ Jono said aggressively.

The boy just sat there staring with his arms crossed, while the others around them started edging away. The boy suddenly laughed, stood up and stretched out his hand.

‘Sorry fella. Just moved here from inland, name’s Boris Brown,’ the boy said with a very strong outback accent.

Absolutely bewildered, Jono took Boris’ hand and shook it.

Smiling Boris said, ‘Wanna sit down?’ and without waiting for an answer he turned to the boy sitting on his other side and barked, ‘Oi move lard arse!’ Amazed, Jono stood watching the short plump boy scrambled out of his seat.

Moving over Boris said, ‘There’s your seat mate.’

Jono hesitated before sitting down.

Could this be a friend? He wondered, because he had never really had had a friend before.

As Jono took a closer look at Boris, he noticed he had naturally good looks. He was tall for his age, standing at about six feet. His skin was tanned dark (Jono supposed that this was because of the harsh inland sun). Boris’ shoulder length dark brown hair suited him. He had a longish pointed nose. As Boris continued to smile Jono noticed that his teeth were all small and straight. His chin was small and square which made him look stronger up close. His broad round shoulders didn’t fit properly with his otherwise skinny body. Even though he didn’t have any obvious muscle development, he was in good shape.

Boris was wearing a pair of thick leather hiking boots, a pair of three-quarter camouflage cargo shorts, a baggy t-shirt that said on the back Don’t like it, Stick it!, upon reading these words Jono had a lot of trouble not laughing as the teacher walked briskly in saying, ‘Okay, okay. Calm down everyone.’

When the lesson ended, Boris was the first to pick up his bag (a Blackwolf backpack) and jog out the room saying, ‘See you, mate.’ But as Jono put his book and pen into his bag and swang it onto his shoulder he saw five of the Year Twelve rugby league players following Boris down the corridor. Jono decided to follow them as he was curious to see where Boris fitted in with the group. All five of them were large and boisterous. Jono tried never to associate with them because they had always spent their time bullying people and he was one of their previous favourites.

The way the group were carrying on made Jono feel uneasy because it reminded him of how they had been when they started to bully him. That was way back when he had started school but the memories were still fresh in his mind. Jono waited until they had gone a certain distance ahead before following them. As he weaved through the crowded corridor, Jono started to worry about what they would do when they caught up with Boris. His worrying was cut short when abruptly everyone had stopped moving. Jono continued to weave through the crowd that was beginning to form a circle around Boris and the rugby players.

‘Oi! Oi, f****t!’ the group’s ring leader called over to Boris.

‘Are you talkin’ to me mate?’ Boris replied, seemingly calm.

‘Yeah! Yeah I am. What are you gonna do about it?’ the ring leader said aggressively, beginning to advance closer towards Boris.

‘Nothin’.’ Boris said simply. ‘What can I do? How do I defend myself against a bunch of stupid, can’t get hard, footballers?’ Boris said, mockingly.

The ring leader (whose name was Mitchell Smash) began to raise his clenched fist and with a loud �" CRACK! Boris was on the ground! Mitchell Smash had knocked him off of his feet and was laughing.

As Jono finally pushed his way through the laughing crowd, he charged and tackled Mitchell Smash just as he was raising his foot to stomp on Boris. He started punching him with his fists. The crowd was cheering and jeering while Boris watched Jono beat up Mitchell Smash, whose nose and eye were swelling nastily. The others in the rugby league group started to advance menacingly on Jono. Two of them grabbed his arms and forcefully dragged him off Mitchell Smash who, by now, was getting to his feet whilst staggering groggily with blood trickling from his nose and split lip. As Jono started to try to break his detainers’ grip, a third punched him in the stomach, again, and again, until the principal, (Mr Phillipson), showed up and made the two boys release him. All of a sudden he was being hauled off to Mr Phillipson’s office

I must have blacked out again, Jono thought. He looked up. Everyone watched horror struck as the small procession headed toward the Principal’s office. Silent tears streamed down his face, in his pain and anger.



© 2012 Jock Engelman


Author's Note

Jock Engelman
(i have been rewriting my book, as i lost pretty much all of my works in a powersurge during a back up, [so my back up got damaged with my original])
I am open to cover designs.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is a fast progression and threw advancement of the plot is perfectof and maybe a flash drive would be useful in the future just a thought

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

174 Views
1 Review
Added on April 4, 2012
Last Updated on April 4, 2012


Author

Jock Engelman
Jock Engelman

Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia



About
I am a guy who has gone through a lot over the years, i have many illnesses which i manage quite well. But i am still riddled with many demons. I was bullied for many years, so now i use my years of t.. more..

Writing