Alpha Project 1

Alpha Project 1

A Chapter by NamelessBeast.
"

Alpha Project 1; Say hello to Cap.

"
The man was twenty three, still young for a man on death row. His long, over shoulder length, dirty blonde hair had fallen forwards, covering his cupped face. His palms were resting against his cheekbones and he sat still. He had an angular face and a muscled physique, a faded tan covered his skin. He was typically described as good looking, no; one could stretch as far as 'handsome'. He was sat in his cell, leaning off of the edge of his small bed, looking out of the barred door. His eyes flickered between the concrete floor and the concrete walls. There was little else to look at.
The expanse of grey floor and walls outside of his cell seemed never-ending. In fact, to him, this cell was his world. He would be here until he died. Maybe it would be soon, maybe it wouldn't. The whole building seemed forgotten and abandoned, remembered only by those who waited there for their deaths to come. He felt rather like that too, forgotten and abandoned by the world. Left to die in a barred cage like an old lab rat. No, even lab rats were put down nicely.
"Stand up." A gruff voice shattered into his delicate, morbid thoughts. He raised his head and took in the man in front of him. The man was easily 6'6", broad and muscled to go with it. Even through his tailored suit, there was an animalistic look about this man. His hair was cut short, army style, and he wore a chain around his neck that would without a doubt hold his dog tags. The man's face was worn and weathered, his hair was short but it looked as though it were a dark brown colour. His eyes were gun metal grey, they looked dead and dull.
"What's your name?" The man asked.
"I don't have one."
"I know who you are, Ca-"
"Call me Cap."
"Cap?"
"It's what everyone else calls me." Cap shrugged, his long blonde hair falling in his eyes and over his shoulders. He didn't look the type to hurt anyone, let alone kill, but you didn't get put on death row for nothing.
"I'm your new boss." The unnamed man said with a sigh. "You'll be working for me now."
"Am I being transferred?" Cap asked, raising an eyebrow. He'd heard about these job changes, but he thought they were only for the 'lesser offenders'. He stood up and walked to the bars. He stood with a slouch, waiting until the man left so he could get back to his thoughts. They were better than people.
"No. You're being released."
"I got a death sentence. Those things don't just disappear."
"No, but with my help, this one could." The man said sharply, "I'm Draco, by the way."
"I prefer to know the real names of my victims." Cap jibed.
"I can't tell you, until you agree."
"To what?"
"I can get you out of here, alive, if you want. You don't have to die."
"On what terms?"
"That you work for my boss." Draco smiled slightly. "You'll have freedom and your life back. All we ask is that you become an... a helper for us."
"Right, 'cause someone in their right minds is going to ask a convicted killer to be a hired thug." Cap sighed, guessing the meaning behind the words Draco had used. "You can take that fake offer and shove it."
"No. I know what you did." Draco sighed, leaning against the bars. "I know how much fun it was. And I know how bad you feel about being in here. I know that all..."
"And?"
"I chose to live. Now look at me. I have a new name, a new life, a family. Everything. All I had to do was agree to the Alpha Project."
"Alpha Project?"
"The Alpha Project. Its only aim is creating the perfect killers. And it needs you."
Cap leaned against the wall, he tilted his head back and looked at the ceiling, sighing, "What happens if I say yes?"
"You live, you come with us and get assigned a new name. All the documents will say you're dead, but you're not. You'll be with us. And alive."
"And if I say no?"
"You die tonight."
Cap nodded. "I think I'll take my chance with death." A sad, forced grin covered his face.
"Fool." Draco muttered. "You'll die."
"I'm okay with death." Cap spat, his eyes full of hate, looking Draco straight in the eyes. "I know what death is like. I've taken lives, remember. I've had my time."
"You're twenty three. That's no life." Draco said calmly, shaking his head.
"That's life enough for me." Cap turned to face the cement wall. "And even if I do go with you, what do I live for? Killing again? More death? More blood on my hands? More people without families because of me?" Cap looked down at his hands, used and scarred. He could see the bloodstains on them, two years and he still couldn't remove the stains in his mind.
"No. You live because you know death. And you're not afraid to live. C'mon, son. Come with me. Just to see what's outside this place. Stay alive."
There was a long pause in the conversation. Cap sighed and ran his fingers through his long hair, he leaned his back against the cold concrete wall and sighed. There wasn't a choice. Not at all. If agreeing to this gave him another chance to live, he couldn't say no. Unless he deserved this death. How many lives had been destroyed because of him? How many more would there be destroyed? It didn't matter, it had never mattered. He would be free again.
"F**k you. I'll do it."


© 2012 NamelessBeast.


Author's Note

NamelessBeast.
Um, tell me what needs to be added... I need these to be as good as I can get them.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Alright, thanks for this first chapter. I'm gonna read the next ones. I need to know about Cap. And surely I need to know why Draco sounds yikes. Killers? Whew, it would really be action-packed I hope. Got to see what's next...

Posted 11 Years Ago


A very good opening chapter. I like the way you led me into the surprise ending. The killer released because of his skill. You have my attention. I will keep reading. A excellent chapter.
Coyote

Posted 11 Years Ago


Yep, of course he's going to go for it.

This isn't bad. I don't normally read stories here, but I gave this a go and I found no trouble getting from, 'The man was twenty-three...' to 'F**k you. I'll do it.'

I liked the opening. I am a rat of a reader. One tiny hint of naffness and I'm out. But I didn't find any. I was curious about the inmate predicatment.

OK Draco does sound like a bit of a stock baddie, but we do know where we are with him. And on reflection the title might have a more imaginative name. But that is no problem.

I quite liked Cap's reflectiveness on his nature and the option to live again but only at the cost of killing others. There is a whiff of Greek tragedy about that choice.

The issue of your story is clear from the outset. And your dialogue is good and jogs along well.

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

187 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 24, 2012
Last Updated on March 25, 2012


Author

NamelessBeast.
NamelessBeast.

London, London, United Kingdom



About
Ask and you shall know. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..