03 Favex (Prequel)

03 Favex (Prequel)

A Chapter by Blake Thomas
"

(Prequel 3/4) We meet the man who changed the future...

"

                The man sat up in his bed, with a blank stare on his face. His long bangs hung over his right eye, where his short hair in the back stood up in a twisted mess from his rest. The man stood up and looked around. He stood at an average height, and was fairly thin. Some outlines of muscle could be seen around his arms and torso. His face had a very dark and deceitful look to it.

                The man walked across the room to a closet that hid in the shadows. He remained here for a while. He began packing some clothing in to a backpack, he didn’t seem to care much about which pairs of clothes. His mind seemed somewhere else. He stood looking in the closet momentarily, then turned around to a wooden chest that sat in the corner. He rummaged through his pockets and pulled out a small key. The man knelt down and unlocked the chest. It creaked and whirled dust in to the air as he lifted the lid.

                He began pulling objects out of the chest. Behind each object followed a dust cloud as he sat them on the floor. Some objects he handled more carefully. He pulled out the first thing he was looking for. It was a small handgun, a Kahr CW40. He put the pistol on his waist line, in the typical fashion. Next, he pulled out a small, empty bag. He held it open with one hand and reached his free hand back in to the chest. He pulled out a handful of bullets for the pistol. He messily put them in to the bag, dropping a few on to the ground. He didn’t seem to care much. He reached in the chest and grabbed a few more bullets to top off the bag. He tied this bag to his back pack and went back in to the chest. He next pulled out what looked like a short stick. After he held it out in front of him, a few waves gave away the fact that it was surely a wand. He stuffed it in to the backpack.

                The man reached in one more time. He moved much more slowly this time around. Out of the chest this time, he pulled a fairly long sword. He held it in front of him for a moment before pulling it halfway out of the sheath. The blade glistened in the moonlight. The man seemed to get lost in his memories for a moment, but he quickly snapped back, sheathed his sword, slammed the chest closed, zipped up his bag, stood up and threw it over his right shoulder. The sword, he slung over his left shoulder as he walked out the door of his room.

                The man seemed to be on a mission. Nothing much stopped his thinking. Not the windows rattling, nor the door slamming around. As he headed in to the main library room, he halted at the desk in the corner. The moonlight bathed around his body, discovering more of his appearance. His jacket was long than needed be, and it covered his body well. The only spots of skin remaining uncovered were his hands and his face. Both of these were covered with scars and burns, all from a long time ago, however. They were mostly healed up.

                His skin that was intact was very pale, he seemed like almost a ghost of the man he once was. He reached his hand out and pulled a note out from under a book. It was written to him:

                                “Favex,

           We tried to be together for so long, but you will never be the

           Man you were before. We tried and tried, but we just were

           Not meant to be together. Please understand that I have to

           Leave now. I will always cherish the good times we had together

           And I hope you will too.”

                The letter was marked almost a year before the current date. Favex stared at it for another minute, then proceeded to crumble it up and throw it behind a pile of books on the corner of the desk. He let out a faint scoff as he opened the front door and walked out in to the city drenched in moonlight.

                Favex walked down the main path in to town. The city was quiet, and the wind had calmed down now. Favex stopped at a fork in the road.

                “Which way?” Favex’s voice broke the silence. He spoke in a very dark tone. It was a mixture of anger and determination.

There was no audible response.

Favex obviously heard something, though, because he gave a nod and headed down the left path of the fork in to the city. This same thing happened at nearly every crossing or fork in the roads as he continued going deeper in to the city.

He had finally arrived at a decently large home. His face showed a faint smile as he read the sign out front:

                “The Great Kunorosko”

Favex walked up the steps to the front door. He turned the knob, but, of course, it was locked. This didn’t seem to faze Favex. He pulled his backpack to the front of his body and pulled out the wand he had packed earlier. He held the wand up and pressed the tip of it to the wood as he slowly ran it down in a straight line on the locking side of the door. Sounds of metal clanking, twisting and falling to the ground on the other side of the door filled the night air with slight noise. It only lasted seconds, however. Favex proceeded to put his wand back in his bag and pushed the door open, without even a turn of the knob.

He walked towards the hallway at the end of the first room. He could hear a faint snoring. He followed this until he came to an open door to a bedroom. A tall man lay fast asleep on his back in the bed. It was surely Kunorosko. Favex stood at Kunorosko’s head and unsheathed his sword quietly. He raised it up in the air to Kuno’s throat. The second he began to swing down, Kunorosko was gone. He vanished.

“A sword is no match for magic, you fool! Who are you?” Kunorosko was standing behind Favex now.

Favex turned around to him, darkly stating, “I have some of my own magic”

Before Kunorosko could make any other movement, he heard an ear-shattering bang. Favex held his pistol, still smoking, as Kunorosko’s body crumpled to the ground. A hole in his head quickly colored the carpet red. Favex turned back to the bed and saw Kunorosko’s staff lying against it. Favex tucked his gun back away and grabbed the staff. He turned around and casually stepped over Kuno’s body and went back outside the front door.

Favex looked around. Was anyone brave enough to come outside to investigate? As Favex guessed, no would did. Gunshots are heard nearly every night in this town.

Favex grasped the staff and walked out behind Kuno’s house. He found a shadow underneath a big oak tree. He once again pulled out his wand. He held the staff in one hand and the wand in the other. He pressed the tip of the wand against the ball at the top of the staff and began moving the wand in somewhat of a figure 8. The ball began to glow and the faint smile returned to Favex’s face. He quickly threw is backpack back over his shoulder and shoved his wand in his jacket pocket.

As the winds kicked up again, Favex grabbed the staff with both hands, and slammed it on the ground. With a quick flash of green light, him and the staff were gone. Leaving the city once again in pure silence.

Favex opened his eyes. He stood in front of the temple that the Dark Lord had been sealed in several years ago.

Favex again spoke to himself, “This is the right place, correct?” he muttered.

This time, however, the air filled with an indecipherable whisper.

However, Favex must have understood what it had said, as he began walking forward to the doors of the temple. The staff he held in his hand was still glowing a faint green. He pressed it up against the door. The ball on the staff now glowed bright as ever. The now familiar faint smile returned to Favex’s face as he pulled the staff back and slammed it against the door.

The night filled with what sounded like a human scream as the sky lit up with a quick green flash. Pieces of the staff’s head fell to the ground, now completely black from the released power. The huge front doors of the temple shifted. Dust poured out from every crevice. The doors began to creep open on their own. Favex watched in awe as he waited for something to come out.

“I have freed you.” Favex said, “Give me back what you promised.”

There was no answer.

Favex persisted, “I did everything you told me, dark one. You have to keep up your side of the deal.”

A faint voice came from the depth of the temple, “I have to do nothing. I am the Dark Lord. You will get what I promised you, but I am not finished with you yet.”

Favex glared in to the darkness.

“Now, bow to me!” the voice bellowed.

Favex tried to resist, but his body moved down to its knees by itself. A large stream of black gas poured out of the temple doors and surrounded Favex. The look in his eyes clearly told that he was trying to fight it, but he could not move his body.

The black gas grew thick around Favex until there was no visible moonlight seeping though. When the smoke cleared, Favex was no longer there.

The gas formed in to its floating torso form for a moment, then sped off in to the night sky.

The Dark Lord had returned.



© 2012 Blake Thomas


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Ouu, mysterious. Good writing. Your talented.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

164 Views
1 Review
Added on November 30, 2011
Last Updated on February 13, 2012


Author

Blake Thomas
Blake Thomas

Keizer, OR



About
Okay. I just trashed all of my old writing on here to open the door for my newly refined and rewritten works. I am mainly working on two novels right now. One is a Post-Apocalyptic Fantasy called 'The.. more..

Writing