M 5. Miss you Frederick

M 5. Miss you Frederick

A Chapter by Effervescent Dreams
"

..... Amalgamation of Reality and Imagination crossing the phylogenetic barriers..... simply ... Utopia...!

"
Miss you Frederick……….

The two glared at each other… myself.... defiant, crouched on my cot, and he (or she?) nonchalant, perched atop the dressing table….. Did I glimpse a slimy grin there?? The air was charged….. with the generational animosity of two phyla of the animal kingdom.



“Shoooo….. shoooooo…..” Shrieking, I flapped the bed sheets at him, as he took flying leaps about the room, dodging my assault.



The Room Attendant materialized at last, and finding me in near hysteria sprang into action, tapping about his stick as he reassured me. I heaved a sigh of relief, standing right in the middle of the cot. "Thank heavens…!"



“Don’t worry Miss. Snakes here are harmless, though they look a wee bit scary”. He said as a matter-of -fact.



“It’s a FROG…..not snake…….!” I blurted out indignantly. “This is the limit. How can you guys maintain the rooms so …. so shabbily!”. I groped for a better word to depict the sorry state of the room.



I waited, my heart hammering away, as he went about tapping and poking his stick into the nooks n crannies, behind the shoe rack, the dressing table and under the cot. But ‘He’ had somehow disappeared from the scene! And I’m certain it was a ‘He’!



“I guess it’s gone”, the attendant wound up his inspection. “Miss, you don’t worry anymore. And latch your door well. These frogs are a nuisance around here….. tough to get rid of. But most often, they are helpful”.


“Hrrrmph… helpful indeed… a perfect excuse for poor room maintenance!” I scowled hard.


It’d been a long and arduous journey. Well, I was here in Chandigarh on a 10 day T/D (temporary duty) for the GNM examination, having just arrived from Bangalore after a long and tiring journey by train. The warm reception had swept me off my feet. The guest room where I was lodged for the next 10 days was reasonably well furnished and looked homely enough. The warm bath was refreshing and I had moved to the dressing table when I spotted…… the FROGGG (eeek!) rolling its eyes with that slimy grin into the mirror. Shrieking I’d dived into the cot while the frog remained seated there mesmerized by my seemingly ridiculous movements. Imagine my disgust and indignation at realizing that this chit of a frog was already in charge of the room that I’d been allotted officially!!



Exhaustion taking over, I hit the bed and promptly drifted off into the land of nods…… and into the land of everything beautiful…..green fields swaying in the cool breeze, raindrops shimmering on the grass blades, birds chirping as they flew in clusters, clouds growing heavier and darker as they sailed along….and a frog croaking somewhere….



.......“FRREDERRRIEE” … “FFREDDERIEEEE”…. I stirred..... at the familiarity of the sound....... Now where had I heard it.....? I leapt up as realization dawned and reached for the bedside lamp. Ah there was the odious creature croaking away in the far corner!



“Oh just shut up you Frederick!” I thundered from within the safe confines of my blankets. Again the slimy grin…... and this time one couldn’t miss the ballistic tongue shooting out at something… eeeek! I flung a pen at it and it ducked…. no, leapt out of sight.



Well that’s how he came to be christened ‘Frederick’. Little did I know then, that in the days to come, he’d rustle up an endearing niche in my heart. But now we were two adversaries, in combat for common territory.

*****************************

Waking up in the morning, and relieved at not spotting Frederick anywhere, I went about getting ready for duty.



The exams went on as usual and I dismissed all thoughts of him through the day. Late after dinner, I crashed into my room along with Susan, my colleague and friend, loaded with many packages from the shopping we’d done at the Mall. We sat there reminiscing our good old days together and catching up on the latest gossip. It was fun...... and then she left.



I settled in bed, with Ayn Rand…. a daring lady indeed…and I don’t tire holding a feather to her cap every time I read her book. As I turned the pages of ‘Fountainhead’, something didn’t seem right. The din… oh yeah, the din of the silence was getting onto me.... ahaa Frederick! Now wasn't it peaceful at last? ‘Good riddance to bad rubbish’, as the saying goes, and I once again glided off….. dreams were aplenty!

************************

That was a good night’s sleep. Promptly waking to the alarm, I went about my chores. Pulling up my socks I dug my feet into the shoes…. and eeeeeek…. my right foot shot back like a boomerang… having met with something soft and pulsating..... Gasping for breath, I knew instantly what the offending thing was...... Frederick the *&#$#!



“Kill him!!... No, that would be cold blooded murder. The amphibian was anyways a cold blooded one! Then…?” I turned cold at the insane thought....... My fingers trembling, I picked up the shoe by its laces and just then, he leapt out and dived for his hideout. A thorough search revealed nothing. There was no use calling for help. He was probably an ace at the disappearing act. Hence I decided to "live and let live".

Using my discretion, I made it a point to hang up my shoes on the cloth hanger by its laces, in the coming days.....


That evening as I opened ‘Fountainhead’, I wasn't the least bit surprised to hear the familiar FRREDERRIEE and I spotted him huddled in a far corner, looking dolefully at me. Dolefully? now, where was the creepy grin that was writ before??



Oh, was he annoyed/ upset with me for the insult and injury of hanging up my shoes? I failed to fathom his feelings then. Was an apology due? Oh rubbish!



Anyways, deciding to play it safe and avoid any further instigation, I flashed a sweet smile, and gently sliding out of bed, made for the main door and unlatching it, left it ajar.



“You may go now, if you wish” I said most courteously, sweeping my eyes in the direction of the door.



He remained rooted to the spot……my impatience growing to mammoth proportions….



“I said GO!” I yelled more out of fear than of frustration.



He perhaps sensed the emotional undercurrents, and after some hesitation, slowly hopped out of sight. I slammed the door after him with a sigh of relief and hit the bed with a vengeance.

************************

“FRREDERRIEE…FRRRREEEEDDEERRIEE…….. FRREDERRIEE……..”



I tossed in bed. “The rogue is back again… but how?.... I'd thrown him out. No, it must be a dream.”



Eyes closed still, I chuckled. So now I've started dreaming about a Frog,.. obsessed with the Frog Prince? Ha ha! I guess, I must go ahead and kiss him…. Yeaaach!!

“FRREDERRIEE………FRRRREEEEDDEERRIEE…..



Gosh no! No dream this. The creature had indeed found his way back in! There it was, in his usual corner….. GROAN!!



“Oh shut up! What’s wrong with you Fred?”



I regarded the flask of water on the bedside table, and held back an impulse to hurl it in his direction. After all, even frogs must have a self esteem and would also have some etiquettes. I was witness to his quiet obedience last night!



Sighing I turned languorously and squinted in the bright sunshine that streamed through the gap in the curtains. Instantly I sprang out of bed, all thoughts of Fred dismissed. Oh dear! I am late......LATE!!! Why didn’t the alarm ring? Of course, I’d forgotten to set it in the first place. Now what? If not for Frederick! I had just enough time to get ready and run for duty. And no breakfast today!

*******************

Getting back from a late outing that evening, I spied a large snake outside my door. I looked on mesmerized, as it slithered on, oh so elegantly over the rough cemented verandah.


“Snake!... Snake!” Someone shouted from the balcony above. Immediately two attendants materialized from nowhere, brandishing sticks and beat up the snake, killing it instantly. It all happened in the blink of an eye. I watched sadly as they lifted the dead snake with the stick and walked away.


“Look at its belly. I guess it had just had a hearty meal”. One of the attendants commented as they walked away.


Just then it struck me…… Frederick?? Oh dear! Where was he? Had the snake got him?

Opening my door, I rushed in calling out frantically, “Frederick…… Fred…?”

No response. No Frederick. My heart sank, and I shuddered thinking of the gruesome end to poor Frederick. Mentally, I kicked myself for being rude with the poor thing. And now I was left with no chance to even repent, for being so bad! Filled with remorse at the unkindly deeds towards poor Fred, I finally went to bed.

* * * * * * * * * * * *

I woke up to the sound of tapping on the door. Now, why would the attendant knock instead of ringing the door bell? Opening the door I found no one. Puzzled, I returned to my bed. Again the tapping, and this time I realized it was coming from within the room. And there was Frederick jumping up and hitting against the cupboard door! Relief and joy overflowing at seeing him alive, I dropped to my knees and thanked the Lord for protecting him from the jaws of the snake!

* * * * * * * * * * * *

That evening, as I lay in bed, I surreptitiously glanced in the direction of Frederick resolutely anchored in the far corner. It was as if we'd come to a truce… to maintain borders.



So much, for chivalry by a mere amphibian. He was even silent tonight, perhaps respecting my need for some quiet, after a tiring day! I couldn't help feel a sense of appreciation for him!

I returned to ‘Fountainhead’, but all efforts failed to gather my habitual eagerness to delve into the pages. My eyes darted back and forth to my little friend, who sat there as quiet as a mouse.. Haha…...only if he could read my thoughts, I could be sued for the murine allegory!

Huh..... he my Friend? Well not exactly, but he’d actually saved me from the embarrassment of being late for duty! I couldn't thank him enough for that.

Living alone in the room had never been cumbersome for me, what with my penchant for reading my favourite books, writing down my musings, working out crossword puzzles, sudokus etc... all of which kept me well occupied. Out here, I seemed to have added yet another feature to my existing catalogue of pastimes. So as a new routine, I learnt to share my thoughts with Frederick….. Sounds pretty weird, but that’s exactly what transpired between us.


I showed him the gifts I’d bought for my loved ones back home, and watched happily as his appreciative eyes moved over each parcel, savouring every detail of it. Encouraged with the rapt attention that showed up, I went on to proudly narrate my adventures during the arduous journeys when on duty, and saw his eyes light up with curious excitement as he puffed out with increased breathing ..... wow! This was some audience!!

Goaded further, I formally presented the 'Fountainhead' and launched on an elucidation of the philosophy of Ayn Rand, the great writer. But soon my voice trailed off seeing him slouch with unconcealed boredom. His sweet innocence struck a chord deep within me ...... the poor dear hadn't yet mastered the tricks of 'acting scholarly'...... Ha ha!. I wondered aloud if he'd like me to get him some kind of gift, and did I see him roll his saucer-eyes? Crazy acts… and yet they pulled me through, in the most exhilarating way, as I could actually feel his unwavering absorption of all that I shared with him!

***************************

Days passed smoothly as in a dream. Frederick appeared only to me, and managed to 'vanish' whenever someone came in. He made it a point to keep out of my way and also kept my room free of insects....


“Hey Fred, I’m leaving after another day. It’s been so nice having you as a friend. And I guess I’ll remember you even after I leave here.” I proclaimed dramatically with my hands joined together, and suppressed a giggle abashed at my apparently ridiculous farewell speech.



As usual, I’d been talking with him about the day’s events and then gushed on with the news of my departure. It was my 8th day here, and I felt accountable to let him know that I was leaving and how much I had valued his company in the days that I was here…..



He swayed, as if weighed down all of a sudden, slumping oh so lightly, and his eyelids drooping. Was it my imagination? Silly me……. I felt like Alice in Wonderland!



“Good night Fred. See you tomorrow”. I switched off the lights, my cheeks burning with embarrassment.



The next day went on as usual. I got back to the room after a dinner party accompanied by two of my colleagues. We chatted till late night and they left, with plans to see me off the next day at the railway station.



That’s when I remembered Fred. Where was he? I went about searching for him, in the washroom, under the dressing table, the cot…..



Now, that was strange. Here was I, all excited to share with him the happenings at the party and the variety entertainment program, which had us all rolling with laughter. The students were so talented and how I enviously appreciated them. But where was he? He should have been here......



“Frederick…? Fred……?.... Frederick….. Where are you……??”



"Miss, do you need something?"..... the watchman making his night rounds.



"Huh... no no .. carry on", I shut the door. Gosh I was going crazy! where was Fred?



I continued my search, and was met with silence!



Giving up at last, I finished with the final packing up. 'Fountainhead’ seemed to have lost its flavour tonight, .and so I promptly put it away and crawled into bed.



The morning was bright as ever. I was up with a song in my heart. The sun shone brighter, the birds chirped louder. I opened the door. The air smelt of freshly cut grass…mmmm…. I was going back home tonight!



**************



Duty over, I came back to the room to make my departure. The Room Attendant carried the bags out. I hung back, for one last look at the little world, that was mine in the 10 days that was. It was just a room, which had become a magical little world for me, thanks to my friend, Fred. But where was Fred.....?



“Frederick…. Frederick….?” I whispered aloud, hurriedly looking about in the likely hideouts of my little friend….



“Hi Nimmi, so ready to move? Yeah look properly, and don’t leave anything behind. Check your tickets... your.........wait, lemme help….” Susan bustled about, opening cupboards and pulling out drawers. “Nothing here. Come let’s move.”



I stood there with a sinking heart, looking furtively about, scanning every corner one last time… “Where’s Fred….?” FRED!..... my heart cried out aloud......



Reluctantly I came out and shut the door. I surveyed the neatly mowed lawn, the flower bed….. did I spot a pair of eyes near the wood rose plant out there? I really wasn't sure. Oh Fred.... do take care, wherever you are! My ears craned for the familiar FRREDERRIEE sound, pain welling up in my heart ...at the parting



“Nimmi, hurry up. Ahaa, the lawn.... It was Susan again, “Well, the gardener is a very nice guy, and would you believe, he......………..” She rambled on as we walked away, and I, turning back with each step to catch at least a fleeting glimpse of my little friend …… my Frederick…..



We stepped out of the Mess gates. All of a sudden a distant FRREDERRIEE.... pierced through the evening breeze and my heart leapt with joy! The FREDERIEE-ing grew intense and went on relentlessly. I walked on, not turning back any more…


Frederick…. I miss you………….


* * * * * * * * * * * *


© 2023 Effervescent Dreams


Author's Note

Effervescent Dreams
Give me any feedback you feel worth improving on this text

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

256 Views
Added on October 19, 2014
Last Updated on September 15, 2023
Tags: reality and imagination amalgama


Author

Effervescent Dreams
Effervescent Dreams

KERALA, India



About
Hi! I'm fun loving and happy-go-lucky, with a humanitarian mindset and a Utopian dream for gender equality across the globe more..

Writing