Corin

Corin

A Chapter by NonExistentNinja

My skin lights up in goose bumps as my body sinks into the steaming hot water. It burns at first but I slowly get used to it as the numbness fades away from my icy skin. I curl and uncurl my toes in the water trying to warm them up more. The water has turned a slight cloudy tint from the dirt coming off of my feet and legs. I’m reminded of the last few hours once again as I stare at the dirty water.


(4 Hours earlier)

“Emily, I don’t know any of these people. I thought this was going to be a medium sized party!” I shout over the music to my blonde friend who’s dancing with some random guy. She flips her hair and glares at me for interrupting her fun.


“I know some of these people and most of them are Zach’s friends. Why can’t you just enjoy your party? It’s not every day a girl gets a party like this one,” she says pausing to grab her new toy and give him a quick kiss before releasing him with a wink. “Look Nia, I know you don’t like parties too much but come on, you’re not even 21 and a hot guy who has been dying to get with you throws a HUGE party just for you. You should be happy! Not worrying about if you know all these people.”


“Em, I don’t like the guy. I’ve told him that too, a party isn’t going to change my mind. Especially one where it’s not even my friends or family here to support me. The only person here I want to be with ran off the second we got here and isn’t spending time with me,” I told her, my hands on my hips. She glares at me for a minute before grabbing my arm and hauling me off the dance floor.


“You know what; I’m really getting tired of your attitude. Someone throws you a big bash and you can’t even be appreciative. Not only that but you’re ruining my night of fun!” She says loudly and angrily.


“It’s supposed to be my day and night remember? It is my birthday.” I tell her equally as angry.


“Just your 20th. It’s not like its and important one so why are you crying about it. You’re supposed to be all cuddled up with Zach thanking him for his wonderful party!” She smirks knowing she’s hit a nerve. On our prom night a guy in our class found my shoes for me and being drunk I thought it was a good idea to thank him in front of everyone by jumping on him and trying to make out with him and telling him I’d be his for eternity.


“I guess your right it is your night of fun. I’m just going to go home and not ruin it anymore,” I snap at her. Turning from her I head to the exit briskly, my heels making hard clicking sounds as I stomp to the exit. My arm gets yanked back words and my body turned around before I can go too far.


“I’m sorry okay; I’m just upset about Luke dumping me the other night. I just wanted to have some fun and I got caught up in it. I’m sorry alright?” Emily says seeming ashamed. She lightly holds onto my arm as I glare at her.


I stare at her for a few moments and my anger simmers down. I nod and she smiles reassuringly and pulls me over to the bar. She flirts her way into getting two drinks and we go to a near-by table squeezing through people. She tried to apologize again and I shake my head not wanting to hear it anymore. I wanted to move on and have fun for the night. Just as we were beginning to relax a hand comes down on my shoulder startling me and making me spill my drink on the table. Emily and I scramble to wipe it up and I look at the person who caused the mess.


“Very jumpy aren’t you babe?” Zach says grinning at us. I gave him a tight smile before finishing up the last of the mess.


Emily could never understand why I’m not interested in Zach. He’s tall, has wavy short dirty blonde hair, a strong square jaw, and a killer smile. But behind Zach’s blue eyes and good looks I sense he’s hiding something. His smile almost always seems likes he’s plotting something. I just feel very uncomfortable with him around.


I told you I’m not your ‘babe’,” I say crossing my arms and looking disapprovingly at him. It wasn’t the best of ideas because his eyes went straight to my chest. As soon as his gaze hit me there I felt extremely uncomfortable and uncrossed my arms in favor of putting my hands on my hips.


“I think I’ll go get us some more drinks yeah?” Emily says and takes off before I can tell her no.


KNOCK, KNOCK!


Hey girl! You alright in there? I hope you didn’t pass out I don’t want to have to come get you out,” Corin’s voice breaks through the wooden door of the bathroom once again interrupting. “Hello?” he says jiggling the handle.


“I’m fine! Almost done!” I shout as best I can. My voice comes out hoarse and I cringe as it comes out.


Corin ‘hmms’ and stands at the door for a second and I don’t move until I hear his feet shuffle away from the door. I begin to drift off into my memories again when the temperature of the water hits me. It has cooled off quite a bit and I wasn’t getting the relaxing pleasure from it that I once had when it was steaming hot.


Pulling my legs up to my chest to conserve my warmth I unplug the drain and let the cool dirty water drain down the tub. Once it’s gone I turn the handles on and water flows into the tub. I set it to a hot temperature and plug the drain once more letting the tub fill again. As my body warms up again I look around the tub and find what seems to be an unused bar of soap along with shampoo and conditioner. 


Quickly I wash and rinse myself and wince as the cuts on my body sting from the soap. After I drain the tub and find a towel in the cabinet and drying myself, I look at my body and see fresh bruises. Dark marks in the shape of finger prints were left on my right upper arm. There was a giant bump forming on my forehead and my feet had scrapes and cuts on the bottom of them from running bare foot. Luckily my hair is clean now of the mud and dirt that was in it. I haven’t felt this good about being clean since I was in elementary school and I fell in the mud on the way to school; mom had to take me to school as I came home in a panic and washed up.


I slip on the too large for me clothes and pause at the door thinking about what I could be walking into. I’m in a strange mans house after being chased by monsters in the woods. A man who just happened to be around to save me. A banging sound of a pot makes me jump and I have a little panic attack wondering if I should find a window to escape from or try to sneak out before he notices I’m gone. Stealing myself I slowly open the door and peak my head out. I’m in a medium sized bedroom. There is an open empty walk in closet to my right and a door slightly ajar to my left.


Cautiously I step out of the bathroom and tip toe to the door. I look out and to the left is a hallway with two more doors both closed. To the right is a short walk to some stairs leading down.  I tip toe to the railing and peaking down I see what looks like a front door and hope fills my heart. Shakily I creep down the stairs. I reach the base of the stairs and fearfully look around. I see a large room to my left through an arch door that looks like a dining room. I see a half wall leading to a living room directly in front of me and can see partially into a kitchen where I can hear water running. Thinking it’s my chance I tip toe to the front door and turn the handle.


“That’s a stupid idea.”


I scream and my back hits the door as I turn to look at Corin who has silently appeared in the dining room door way opposite the front door.  Holding my hand over my pounding heart I watch him carefully. I hadn’t really taken his appearance in when I first met him so it’s like I’m looking at him for the first time.


Corin could definitely be described as gorgeous. He has short dark brown hair that’s a little spiky on top but seems to be a little grown out so it flops instead of standing straight up. He has strong green eyes, the kind that make you think he could be dangerous. His arms are crossed over his chest showing that he is very fit. Corin has a red and blue flannel shirt on with the sleeves rolled up that fits him very well and dark blue jeans. His face has a neat scruff as well.


“If you’re done making me feel uncomfortable, there’s some tea and I made some soup if you’re hungry,” Corin remarks, snapping me out of studying him. He doesn’t have a smirk on his face like most men do when they find out you’re checking them out. Instead he looks kind of irritated about it. When I don’t move he sighs and pinches the bridge of his nose. “Alright, how about this, you follow me and drink some tea, maybe eat some soup, and tell me about what you’re so afraid of. I know after the night you’ve had you don’t want to trust any man especially one you just met. But right now if you want a semi normal life without what happened tonight happening again you’re going to have to talk to me.”


Corin goes silent and stares at me waiting for my decision. My mind races and luckily I’m leaning against a door because I probably would be falling over. He must have seen my panic because he uncrosses his arms and a look of concern flashes on his face.


“I’m not going to do anything to you, just so we are clear no harm will come to you in my home,” He said trying to sound sincere. “If we just sit down and talk I can give you some answers. I’m sure you have some questions.”


I nod slowly and he sighs in relief. Corin stays for a few moments and then walks into the dining room beckoning me to follow him. Timidly I walk after him cautious of any danger that might lay in wait for me. At a large table there are two cups sitting across from each other and two bowls stacked next to a pot sitting on a pad with a spoon in it.


Corin sits down and motions for me to sit across from him. I sit down and grab the warm cup in front of me with both hands. The man across from me stares at the table while I slowly take a sip of my tea. Corin looks at me as if deciding something. He rubs his face with his hands and sighs rubbing his eyes.


“So, where should we begin?” He grumbles looking at the table again. “What did they do to you?”


“Excuse me?” I ask confused.


“Sorry, I mean how did this night start?” Corin asks looking me straight in the eye like he would believe anything I say.



© 2014 NonExistentNinja


Author's Note

NonExistentNinja
Comments and all feedback welcome!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

140 Views
Added on September 20, 2014
Last Updated on September 20, 2014


Author

NonExistentNinja
NonExistentNinja

About
I'm 22 years old and I read, write, play video games, and go to work. I enjoy reading, watching, and playing horror things. I don't have a specific type of book or movie I watch more. I'm very open to.. more..

Writing