Identity Crisis

Identity Crisis

A Poem by Oliver Free
"

There's a fine line between fantasy and reality.

"
One day, I awoke to find
That I was me, but not myself.
As I stared at this other me,
The glass that had been keeping us apart
Shattered, and set him free.

© 2016 Oliver Free


Author's Note

Oliver Free
Just a short poem. Feedback is appreciated!

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Very good work. I really enjoyed reading this. One thing that I want you to know is that in poetry, the first letter of every line does not have to be capitalized. I'd suggest lower-casing the words that don't begin a new sentence.

Also, I'd suggest using the active voice instead of a passive one in the fourth line. For some reason that I really can't understand, people prefer the active voice (again, I really don't know why). The passive voice is a sign of weak writing (again, I don't know why it is, but for some reason, English teachers and critics don't like the passive voice).

-William Liston

Posted 7 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Oliver Free

7 Years Ago

Thank you for the advice. I still have a long way to go in regards to my writing, but there's still .. read more
William Liston

7 Years Ago

You're welcome. I enjoyed reading this. Let me ask, what made you start writing poetry?
Oliver Free

7 Years Ago

Ever since elementary school, I've been fascinated by literature. I grew up reading shelf after shel.. read more



Reviews

Sometime we see real self in the mirror. Sometimes, not a pretty picture. I liked this poem. It was honest and direct. Thank you for sharing the excellent poetry.
Coyote


Posted 7 Years Ago


Short and sweet. Despite its lack of length its still striking and the simpleness actually adds to its flow and effectiveness. love the imagery of the glass shattering. It seems almost numb with its simplicity and lack of response at this new found identity and also at the same time profound! Good read!
If numbness was not the intended tone you could always add a line or even a few words like "Shaking, I stared at this other me" as an example, if you wanted the haunting numbness portrayed then I would keep it the way it is! Great job!

Posted 7 Years Ago


Oliver Free

7 Years Ago

Thank you for the review and advice! This was something I wrote on a whim, my other work has a lot m.. read more
Yes ... I read a quote or something recently that said 'we have never actually seen our real selves only
A picture or a reflection in the mirror and therefore we are only seeing a perceived version of ourselves ... Interesting when you think about that and break
It down ... We need to drop the preception and as you said above ... Set ourselves free ... You have said a lot
In this short piece - nice one X

Posted 7 Years Ago


very interesting...that self that has tried to get out for so long...so that the two can become one...we either fight against it or search for it---and ponder reasons why we are an us...

yes, Active voice has a more aggressive tone---writing that grabs the gut.

i like the brevity in this poem and the questions that linger after reading this.

j.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Oliver Free

7 Years Ago

Thank you for the review! I've been working on my use of active voice since this poem. I'm glad you .. read more
This would be a very cool story about alternate universe! If you want to write one, of course. :D

Posted 7 Years Ago


GalaxyGhost

7 Years Ago

That's cool! How cool would it be if our reflections were just protecting us from an alternate unive.. read more
Oliver Free

7 Years Ago

I think I've seen some writing prompts about that! It's definitely a great idea to explore.
GalaxyGhost

7 Years Ago

Yeah, that'd be fun to read!
Cool! I read this poem because I actually wrote one called "Identity Crisis" as well, and I thought, "No way! I have to check this out!" And it was well worth it. I really like the implied image of the mirror/reflection and "shattering." Your note right below the title is also cool and goes very well with the poem. It adds an interesting tone of... insanity? Delusion? Subconscious or conscious desires? It's very open to interpretation, which is great in a poem. You have captured many different levels of meaning with a very short and simple piece, which is quite impressive. Nice work!

Posted 7 Years Ago


Oliver Free

7 Years Ago

Glad you liked it! I'll be sure to check out more of your work.
The idea was really neat I agree with Elmarie. You could have run with this one but having said that I'm no expert either lol.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Oliver Free

7 Years Ago

Thanks! I'm still learning, and the journey has yet to end.
andrew mitchell

7 Years Ago

so am I so don't worry.
My review is pretty much along Williams lines and he wrote a splendid review. I enjoyed the concept and I am sure you can run with this idea some more if you felt the urge.

Blessings

El

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Oliver Free

7 Years Ago

Admittedly this piece is quite old, and since I recently joined here I thought I'd throw it in. Give.. read more
Very good work. I really enjoyed reading this. One thing that I want you to know is that in poetry, the first letter of every line does not have to be capitalized. I'd suggest lower-casing the words that don't begin a new sentence.

Also, I'd suggest using the active voice instead of a passive one in the fourth line. For some reason that I really can't understand, people prefer the active voice (again, I really don't know why). The passive voice is a sign of weak writing (again, I don't know why it is, but for some reason, English teachers and critics don't like the passive voice).

-William Liston

Posted 7 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Oliver Free

7 Years Ago

Thank you for the advice. I still have a long way to go in regards to my writing, but there's still .. read more
William Liston

7 Years Ago

You're welcome. I enjoyed reading this. Let me ask, what made you start writing poetry?
Oliver Free

7 Years Ago

Ever since elementary school, I've been fascinated by literature. I grew up reading shelf after shel.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

474 Views
9 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 19, 2016
Last Updated on June 19, 2016
Tags: Poem, introspection, short, thoughtful

Author

Oliver Free
Oliver Free

Horsham, PA



About
I'm a 20 year old amateur writer. Poetry is my passion, and though I am certainly not the best, my only goal is to improve. Any support would be much appreciated! Thank you for reading my work. It mea.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Phantom Phantom

A Poem by Emily