Byron & Dickinson Fire

Byron & Dickinson Fire

A Poem by 1VJ
"

chimera and heather fields

"
She was created of earth's lusty marrow,

 lived amidst chimera and heather fields

  breathing Byron essence & Dickinson fire,

there was madness in the poetry of her life

   an atmosphere favorably self-aware 

      mundane was ne'er her cup of fancy


In death, she was found to be quite lucid

'tween exiled days and windswept expanses

   of untrodden woodlands & lone seascapes,

perchance glimpse her twilit ambiance

  whispering beyond breezes of conclusive

   horizons void of derived worldly silhouettes



“She walks in beauty, like the night
Of cloudless climes and starry skies;
And all that's best of dark and bright
Meet in her aspect and her eyes...” 
― George Gordon Byron

© 2016 1VJ


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

FIRST IMPRESSIONS

The title lured me in because I am Emily Dickenson fan and familiar with her backstory. I relate to her in many ways for I use to be a shy girl, hiding in my own home away from reality. In contrast, I am not as familiar with Byron. College courses barely touched upon him. I know little about his background. For instance, Edgar Allan Poe was inspired by Byron; he wanted to model after him as a charming womanizer. However I think we both know that Poe was a sloppy drunk. His poetry and prose is beautiful in his fantasy or delusions. But I digress.

FORMAT AND CONTENT

The contrast between Emily Dickenson and Byron is woven exquisitely. They are both romantic poets but write in a different way. Byron is more confident and stoic while Dickenson is timid and gentle. There is a bittersweet sadness in how her death is depicted because she suffered from agoraphobia; the fear of leaving the house. Beautiful Emily died with her art and escapism; her intelligence overwhelmed her, I think. Her mind was documented with pieces of scribbled paper she dispersed throughout her home, hiding them in odd places. I wish I had the opportunity to meet her because her work has been edited in different editions.

The writer has been successful at giving a wonderful tribute to these two classic poets. Given the quote from Byron, I plan on reading more of him because his words are calming; he sets up a serene atmosphere for women. I am beginning to understand why ladies fancied him.

CLOSING THOUGHTS

This is probably one of my favorites because I am biased. I adore Emily Dickenson and she has helped me through some difficult times in my life. Thank you for sharing!

sincerely,
ria

Posted 7 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

1VJ

7 Years Ago

Much appreciate your thoughts here, lots of interesting tidbits in your review, thanks so much Ria!
Vria P Crow

7 Years Ago

You are very welcome! I am tempted to offer a further analysis to the poem itself because it was wo.. read more



Reviews

i like this a lot..love Emily and not real familiar with Byron ..tho from your poem i get that he was a "lover" ... with fire! :) i especially like the seeming abrupt ending before the pic and quote from Byron ..it seems abrupt but feels right ... the language, form and flow for me all good ..and again feels so right in tribute to Ms. Dickinson ..nice one says i!
E.

Posted 6 Years Ago


i love it when the poet reaches out and touches the world, and slowly opens her hand and shows us gems, such as this

Posted 7 Years Ago


Paloma, you write of such a Poetess in potent tones that I am left in awe, this really is a cleverly thought out poem, a magnificent one at that...you left me wandering through thoughts and the imagery is sublime, unique and fantastic, this is really amazing x

Posted 7 Years Ago


So very much enjoyed this poem; not just for the beauty of your writing, but also because it encapsulates two of my very favourite poets.

I have always admired Emily Dickinson, her use of slant rhyme in particular I find so very skillful. As for Byron, I started reading the English Romantics at a very early age and they have been an enduring influence on my own writing ever since.


Beccy.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1VJ

7 Years Ago

Much appreciate your visit and review Beccy, many thanks.
A foot in both the classical and the contemporary. Words flirting with subtlety and strength and steeped in elegance! Some very dope style you have (please forgive the slang). Rach xo

Posted 7 Years Ago


1VJ

7 Years Ago

'Dope style'' made me smile. :) Many thanks Rach.
Quite a tandem between those two great poet's.
I enjoy this revelation much...And your wordings
Are such a joy to read, very cool, Thanks EG ;)

Posted 7 Years Ago


1VJ

7 Years Ago

Thank you E.G. thrilled you enjoyed. :)
A true classic and engaging write. To read a poem like this, that takes you back to an entirely different era is something special. this is the stuff poetry is made of!

Posted 7 Years Ago


1VJ

7 Years Ago

Thanks for such a glowing review and your visit to my page. Much appreciated Sanober!
Beautiful poetry dear friend. You had the feel of the ancient writers in the words. The words, sensitive and powerful at the same time. Thank you Paloma for sharing the excellent poetry.
Coyote

Posted 7 Years Ago


1VJ

7 Years Ago

Thanks Coyote, much appreciate your thoughts.
Coyote Poetry

7 Years Ago

You are welcome dear friend.
to breathe in Byron essence and Dickinson's fire I think would make for a very special person Paloma, a life that mundane would never touch and who would walk carefree in chimera and heather fields... and Byron's words quoted at the bottom, well along with the whole poem, took my heart... squeezed but allowed it to beat... faster, but with a soft sigh... wonderful poetry here Paloma... amazing actually, thanks for the treat...

redzone

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

1VJ

7 Years Ago

I hope it didn't squeeze too hard. Thanks for your high praise, I'm delighted you enjoyed this one!

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1240 Views
23 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on October 2, 2016
Last Updated on October 3, 2016
Tags: Byron, Dickinson, fire, poetry, self-awareness

Author

1VJ
1VJ

Trivandrum, NY, India



About
Another speck of carbon, this one. Sentient and sagacious, yet affable. Advocate of Fantasy and Gaming, this one. Artistic and pugnacious, yet subtle. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


1945 1945

A Poem by Baby Ricochet


Moments Moments

A Poem by MsJewel