Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Part 4- Till Death Do Us Part

Part 4- Till Death Do Us Part

A Chapter by Aphy!
"

Well...the name says it all! A tragic death leaves Chloe's world spinning. She evolves and grows and realizes that life goes on even after losing someone you love!

"

So here I am in the same hospital you last saw me in but this time for different circumstances. My oldest daughter Sade who is now 23 is having her first child! I can’t believe I’m going to be a grandma in a few seconds now. And the young man that did this was her boyfriend of 5 years, Tyler who is now staying with us until they get on their feet (That and I still don’t want them to leave!). Video camera in hand Ben (still my husband) is recording all of this and my other 3 kids Nikki(14) and Beyonce (18) and little Blue who is now (2) were growing up in front of me. I can’t believe how fast time flies when you’re trying to take care of 4 kids (its hectic believe me I know!)My head was wrapped up inside my brain and I was over thinking a lot of things. The doctor came in and snapped me out of my day dream. He told us that Sade was doing great and that she was due to go into labour in an hour. The strange part about being here was that it was the 31st. An hour before the New Year. If this baby could behave and hold on, then the Martin’s might just have their very first new Years baby.

Ben took Nikki and Bee home since it was getting a bit too late. They wanted to see the fireworks more than they wanted to whiteness child birth and who blames them. Which 14 and 18 year old would voluntarily watch another person give birth? To see how they came to life? I personally wouldn’t stay if I wasn’t Sade’s mom but I was so I couldn’t get out of this one that easy.

 

Tyler and I sat next to Sade trying to keep her head cool but she was doing that all on her own. Believe it or not she was even updating her Twitter and Facebook status. She even insisted me and Tyler take a selfie for her instagram account. The children today with their electronics and gadgets. Back in my day we… (Never mind.) I was very exhausted so I went out to get Tyler and I some coffee. Outside I got a phone call from Ben with sad news:

Ben- Hey babe, I just got a call from Sweet Harmony

Chloe- Why? Is there something wrong with mom? Is she okay?

Ben- She’s fine..It’s just that she won’t be able to make it

Chloe- Did they at least tell u why? She was doing so well though

Ben- I know, the doctor there said she had another seizure earlier

Chloe- What? Is she fine? Will she be okay?

Ben- Yes she is, but they gave her medication so she can’t come because of her saviour state

Chloe- Okay, is she still fine? Did they make sure she was okay afterwards?

Ben- I spoke to the doctor and he said everything is okay

Chloe- Okay, thanks for telling me.

Ben- Good luck, you’ll be a grandma in 5 minutes!

Chloe- Don’t remind me. Anyway, Happy New Year in advanced

Ben- You too, I love babe

Chloe- I love you too

 

Ben was wrong, I was about to become a grandma in a matter of seconds. I could hear Sade screaming from the hallway. I quickly ran in and saw that it was time. The doctor was running late so I had to help Sade. “Okay baby, breath. Take deep breaths and you’ll be fine” I said trying to calm her down. Tyler was there too, holding her hand and telling her that everything would be okay. “It feels like giving birth in my a*s! This is all your fault Tyler, you did this to me !” Sade cried. I couldn’t help but giggle and I could just imagine the pain she was going through (I did it 4 times so it’s not fun.)The doctor came in to the rescue just in time. The clock on the wall said it was 1 minute till midnight.

As time went by I became more and more excited to see my grandchild. I couldn’t believe that in such a short period of time I’d become a grandma. I was starting to get teary but that wasn’t stopping me from helping my daughter give birth so I could see my other baby!

                  **It’s A Girl! **

“Here she is Sade, here’s your new baby girl” the doctor said handing Sade the new precious baby. (After it was washed of course) Tyler and I had a moment where we looked at each other and had that “Isn’t she lovely” look. I saw that he was about to cry so I went over and gave him a hug. The first thing after birth Sade said was “Can you take a picture and post it on Facebook mom?” I didn’t argue though, I just did as I was told. As crazy as that sounded, I helped Sade upload the first picture of her first born child on Facebook. It was strange but cute.

 

I called every single relative we had (Even the ones I didn’t like/know that much) to tell them the good news. It all sunk in that moment that I was getting old. Not only was Sade giving me a grandchild, she was making me seem very old. Grandmother at 39 so far didn’t look good on me. Ben and the girls came back to see the baby then we all gathered around Tyler and Sade waiting to hear the name.  They both looked at each other and Sade said “Well, welcome Lidia Lynette Martin” it was the cutest name for the cutest baby (Named after my mother Lynette). The baby was 23kg’s. She had problems breathing so Sade had to stay longer at the hospital. Tyler, Ben, the girls and I had takeaways, went home and called it a day (A year actually). What a way indeed to start the New Year off!

 

            **New Year. New Baby!**

It was morning, I was tossing and turning the night before. Worried for baby Lidia’s health. I tried calling Sade or Tyler but neither of them answered which made me even more worried. Ben tried keeping me calm. He wasn’t as worried as I was but it was understandable. Sade was a grown woman now and I wasn’t supposed to be as worried but she’s my first born. She was still and always will remain my baby girl. I have sentimental issues and I care too much about her…and my other kids as well. (It’s understandable right, it’s only natural that a mother worries about her children even if they’re in their 20’s and living their own lives)

The other 3 kids were a joy now because they could do everything for themselves. Bee had her raging teenage hormones and she was still getting used to whole “Being a big sister” thing. Nikki wasn’t yet a teen which I was grateful for because I didn’t want her to grow up. Just as much as I didn’t want Sade to grow up and leave me (That’s why I let her and Tyler move in with us.) Bluey was finally potty trained and he was even mumbling a few words. I can’t wait for him to start talking and running and doing boy things. Now, the kids weren’t the only ones growing up. Ben and I were getting pretty old hey but I didn’t expect to stay young forever…well I kind of wanted to but it didn’t go so well. My mom who is now 89 is at an old age home. She didn’t want me spending money on nurses to take care of her and she didn’t want to be a hassle so we sent her away. We still visit her every Sunday and we spend as much time with her as possible because you never know when the grim reaper might show up.

So this morning I was in bed with Ben and we were talking about our future. He thought it would be a great idea to joke about having another kid (Bad joke!):

 

Ben- Hey, since the kids are grown up I figured we’d have another one

Chloe- Another what?

Ben- Baby!

Chloe- It’s so easy for you to just demand babies because you don’t carry them for 9 months

Ben- Yeah I was-

Chloe- And don’t you think we’re getting too, I don’t know OLD maybe!

Ben- Babe, I was joking. Lighten up

Chloe- Bad joke Dr Martin. Not very funny at all!

I was glad it was a big joke. I wasn’t really ready for another child and I don’t I want one again. 4 kids was enough thank you. We lay in bed for a while till Nikki stormed in and told us that the doctor called. Sade could come home but the baby wasn’t allowed to leave yet. I was sad and disappointed.

I asked Ben to take the kids to the mall while I had lunch with Sade and Tyler. I figured I’d cheer them up since the baby couldn’t come home yet. So that very afternoon I picked them up for lunch. I could tell Sade was exhausted and Tyler also didn’t look that well rested. We went to a café but Sad refused to eat anything:

 

 

Chloe- Baby, you’ve got to eat something. You need all the strength you can get

Tyler- Yeah your mom’s right. I’ll go ask the waiter to bring you something to eat

         **Tyler gets up and leaves**

Chloe- I’m worried about you baby. You can’t carry on like this

Sade- Mom my daughter’s stuck in tubes in hospital. Forgive me if I’m not as festive as you are

Chloe- I’m not believe it or not. I’m a worried wreck and I don’t want you to be worried too

Sade- Well it’s kind of my job now, I can’t help it

Chloe- I know baby. Maybe you should eat something, keep strong for the sake of the Lidia

Sade- Okay I’ll try mom. How’s grandma?

Chloe- She had another seizure yesterday. But the doctor said she’d be fine for now

Sade- I don’t want to lose her mom. Please tell me she’ll be okay

Chloe- I can’t tell you that, heaven only knows

 

Tyler came back with a tray filled with pancakes, milk and fruit on the side. “I asked them to make this especially for you” he said giving Sade a big kiss. I think she realized that she didn’t have to worry because a big smile grew on her face. Tyler and I shot a “Sigh of relief” look that Sade was eating and that everything was fine now. Seeing Sade and Tyler made me think of mine and Ben’s relationship and how we’ve been through a lot. They were a spitting image of us when we were young (Young being in our twenties) I was happy for them.

 

 

An hour after lunch I took Sade and Tyler back home. After that I checked if my mom was doing okay. The doctor I spoke to was basically telling  me to prepare for the worst and that I should count down the days but not in those words. I went to go see my mom and saw that she was watching TV on her rocking chair, she seemed really fine. I went up to her and gave her a big hug and said:

 

Chloe- Mommy, are you feeling okay

Lynette- Well Chloe, apart from being really old I’m fine. Have a seat

Chloe- Still quiet the jokester I see?

Lynette-Yeah, you just missed Ben and the kids. Left an hour ago

Chloe- Oh it’s fine, I came to tell you about Sade and her baby

Lynette- Another one making me old but go on

Chloe- She got a baby girl but she’s stuck in hospital because she has trouble breathing

Lynette- That’s such a shame, I hope she feels better again

Chloe- I’m glad you’re feeling better, you even seem happier then yesterday

Lynette- Yeah well 10 pudding cups and a marathon of Will and Grace does that to a girl

Chloe- Well then, I think I might join you then.

It was fun spending some quality time with my mom just laughing and goofing around like nothing was wrong but I could tell that she knew what was going to happen. She wanted to spend as much time with everyone as possible and I wanted to be there with here all the time. I watched TV till I passed out into a deep sleep.

                 *An Hour Later*

I woke up and it was 7, it was dark out. My mom was also asleep on her bed. I kissed her goodnight then went back home to check on Sade and Tyler. On my way home I picked up loads of chocolate and snacks. I figured since Sade was back, we’d have some girl time so I could talk to her. When I came home was completely shocked to see Sade not only cooking but she was in a good mood. Tyler and Sade were in the kitchen making dinner and Bee and Nikki were helping. God knows where Ben was. I was actually glad to see Sade and Tyler in a good mood.

 

Sade- Mom, I’m glad you’re back. Sit down dinner’s almost ready

Chloe- No it’s fine I’d like to help

Tyler- No, sit down. We’ve got everything under control

Nikki- Yeah mom, go feed the dog or something

Chloe- Oh come on, at least let me make dessert

Tyler- Already in the fridge. Wow how does it feel to be completely useless in your own home?

Chloe- Don’t push it, I can still go and order pizza

Everyone- *Just Go!*

 

I got the hint so I went upstairs to check on our house pets. Apart from having Sugar, Spice and Muffin we now had loads of other pets (Sometimes I feel like I live in a pet store). I recently got a kitten name Snowflake for my birthday. Nikki had a pet hamster and Tyler moved in with his two greyhounds that were living outside in the shed. They were our new security system but we still loved them like family. Our house was bigger now since we’ve extended and Sade and Tyler had an outside building with 2 rooms, a bathroom and a kitchen/living room. That was the closest thing I had to her moving away. I didn’t really want her to go anywhere but I couldn’t tell them that, I just made it seem as though it was their idea to move in the house outside (Clever hey!)

Upstairs I fed all the pets then I went outside and saw that Ben was there. He looked very deep in thought so the good wife that I am, I wrapped his arms around me and we just stood there in silence enjoying each other’s company and staring up at the stars. It’s those little moments we share together that make our bond so unbreakable and I was happy Benny and I were still in that phase where we would still act like kids every once in a while.

 

When we were finally called back in to our own home, Ben and I saw that the table was set and everything looked beautiful. The kids were sitting around the table joking around, having fun and that’s what I’ve always wanted. For my whole family to be a bunch of happy people. So we all sat around the table having a laugh, enjoying food prepared by Sade and it was amazing.

 

“Where’d you learn how to cook? I never taught you how” I asked after the amazing meal as we waited for Tyler’s special dessert. “Grandma did, she thought it’d come in handy and it did” Sade said. I was very proud of her.

She wasn’t the same person I saw this afternoon, she was now in a happier mood and in a good place. Me and her washed the dishes then went back to the table for dessert. For dessert there was lemon cake and homemade ice-cream and I must say, it was amazing. I never thought I’d ever see the day where a boy beat my lemon cake. I wasn’t going to be sour about it though, I accepted my defeat and told Tyler that his cake was amazing, I gave credit where it was due and I must say it was defiantly due. Nikki and Ben were washing the dessert dishes when we got a call from the doctor.  He didn’t want to say anything over the phone so we all had to go to the hospital.

 

When we arrived I went to the doctor’s office with Sade and Tyler and Ben stayed in the reception with Blue, Nikki and Bee. In the office I could sense the tension in the room. Sade and Tyler were about to get some news about their first born child which was either going to make or break them. Either way I’d be there for them. I sat in the middle and held both their hands as we waited for the doctor. When Dr Richie finally came he sat us down and said “Well, the Martins. I have very good news for you. Seems like your little daughter is a fighter and she’s going to be okay. We’re running some last minute tests and she’ll be ready tomorrow” that news was music to my ears.

I was glad that everything was going to be fine. And judging by the looks on their faces, Sade and Tyler seemed relieved. “Thank you doc, we’ll be here first thing tomorrow morning” Sade said shaking Dr Richie’s hand. I was in such a good mood that I took hugs. Outside we told everyone that Lidia was going to be fine. We all went back home, I called my mom before going to bed to tell her the good news. That and I wanted to see how she was doing:

 

 

Chloe- Hi mom

Lynette- Evening, is everything okay?

Chloe- Yeah, the baby is fine now. I wanted to call to ask you something

Lynette- Yeah sure

Chloe- Will you be able to come home tomorrow for Sade and Tyler’s party?

Lynette- I don’t know sweetie, you’ll have to speak to the doctor

Chloe- Okay, I’ll call tomorrow morning to let you know

Lynette- Okay, bye. Love you

Chloe- Love you more

I was actually glad that my mom wasn’t one of those old people who eventually lost their minds. She  was already crazy. I called everyone I knew to organize tomorrow’s party and as the hours got closer, I got even more excited. Tomorrow was going to be a great day and I couldn’t wait to see my new granddaughter. Finally get to hold her and she’d be officially introduced to the whole family.

 

                 **The Big Arrival!**

I woke up earlier than everyone else the following morning and I was lucky I had a little helper because Nikki wasn’t really a sleep person (She had insomnia). We went shopping for gifts, organised the party and we even managed to get Sade and Tyler out of the house for the decorations to come. That same afternoon they went to the park with Lidia. It was their first family trip.

At 12 in the afternoon I made the call that Sade and Tyler could come back home because the fumigating guys were gone (That was our excuse).

We all got in to our positions and waited for them. Seconds later…

                  **SURPRISE!!**

 

Sade and Tyler walked in with the baby and they looked pretty surprised. “Wow, mom you did all this?” she asked when she saw the decorations, the cake and all the people that were standing in front of her. “Yeah well, I didn’t do it all alone” I said then I gave Nikki a high five. The party then began. Our welcome party was a success and in full swing!

Everyone saw the cute little baby, the new addition to our family. My mom was even there, and that made everything twice as sentimental. Sade was wondering though where we’d gotten the cake so soon then I said “I placed the order on your baby shower but we got the wrong cake so they promised me a free cake and well…there it is!” Sad gave me a hug. The party was amazing, there was friends and family from both Sade and Tyler’s side. It felt like a little family reunion. We were all gathered there for one person and that was baby Lidia. She bought everyone together that day. That special little girl did all that just by being born…wow!

            **Two Hours Later!!**

The end was nearing and Sade and Tyler wanted to say thank you. Plus they had an announcement to make.

Sade- I’d like to thank everyone who made it here. My mom, my whole family in fact. Thank you everyone for making Lidia feel so special and loved.

 

Tyler- Yeah, I realized how much I loved this girl. Sade doesn’t know about this (Gets on one knee and Sade starts to cry) honey I’ve loved you since I first laid my eyes on you. I want to spend my life with you if you just allow me to. So would you do me the honour of being my wife?

Sade started to cry but she managed to say (In between sobs) yes! We all raised a glass and made a toast to the couple and their new born baby. Today was pretty emotional and it was one of the best days ever. So after the party we all helped clean up then my mom left. Everyone was still full from eating at the party so the Martine’s decided to call it a night…a very great night indeed.

It was the morning after and I had a throbbing headache. I still couldn’t believe that little Lidia survived possible death. This opened my eyes and mind to a whole new set of thoughts. I thought of the value of life and that we should treasure each other for as long as we’re all alive because you never know when the grim reaper will show up. All that made me rethink Ben’s thoughts of having another baby. I was actually on board with the whole idea of having possibly a 5th child. A little being swimming inside of me...AGAIN. I got up and told Ben and we had another baby discussion:

 

Chloe- Babe I was thinking about the whole baby thing and I’ve come to a conclusion

Ben- Which might be?

Chloe- I want us to…you know…have another baby maybe

Ben- Is that a question or a suggestion

Chloe- It’s a challenge. Are you ready for another one?

Ben- Sure, I prefer the practice though rather than the actually baby thing

 

Ben didn’t hesitate, he leaned over and we started making out. I was actually glad that he agreed and the whole baby thing will handle itself but for now we had all the time in the world to practice. But not the privacy; Nikki was getting down to fetch her earphones when she saw me and Ben on the sofa and said with a disgusted look on her face “Agh, get a room. And besides, you guys are way too old for that now. You should leave it to Sade and Tyler!” then she left. I couldn’t help but smile because it was actually the first time one of our kids walked in on us making out especially on the sofa. And with the whole practicing thing, I think it won’t be the last they see of me and Ben (Evil Laugh)

So after our little make-out session, Ben took all the pets out to the park. Which I thought was a super bad idea because people always stared when we took our zoo animals out. I was glad that he took Tyler with him so they could bond a little, leaving me and the girls to bond as well. Blue was also with the boys, thank god for that.

Firstly we went shopping for clothes, did our hair and nails, had facials and we had pizza for lunch. It was fun just being with my girls (Including baby Lidia) and it was long and certainly overdue. “Hey, I have an idea. Why don’t we all have lunch tomorrow” I said. And by all of us I meant even the guys that were with my girls. I had to meet them at some point in time and I figured now would be the perfect time to do some embarrassing things. It was the least I could do, after all they are my kids and they wanted to live a normal life. The girls tried getting out of it by making excuses by I saw right through them:

 

Nikki- Mom, don’t you think that’s a little extreme?

Bee- Yeah mom come on, besides I’m only 18 right?

Chloe- That’s right you are 18, that’s why I want to meet them

Nikki- Sade do something here, your mom is going crazy

Sade- She’s your mom too, and she also did this to me when I was 16

Bee- Do you really want to be held responsible for my humiliation suicide mom? Come on!

Nikki- Yeah, you don’t want that blood on your hands do you?

Sade and Chloe- Stop being such drama queens

I tried blackmailing them but it didn’t work then I told them I’d up their allowance by 50% and they were on board just like that (Click finger) after lunch we went back home and called it a day. I had trouble falling asleep though, I had been having strange dreams that someone might die.

In my dream there was a man with a black coat wearing all black (Grim reaper) and then there was the number 90 (My mom’s next age if she survives) but then I didn’t see anything else because I always woke up right before something happened. That night at 10 I decided to call my mom to check if she was alright:

 

Lynette- Hello

Chloe- I knew you weren’t asleep, there’s a marathon on TV of Will and Grace

Lynette- Now, I know you didn’t call me just to tell me that and I know something’s bothering you

Chloe (In tears) - I just wanted to check on you. I had that dream again

Lynette- Oh honey, you know that everything happens for a reason. If it’s meant to be, let it be

Chloe- What if I didn’t want to lose you, I want you by my side mom

Lynette- I know sweetie, but I have to go before your father sets heaven ablaze. He needs me.

Chloe- You’re always joking and kidding around, I’ll miss that about you

Lynette Careful now, I’m not dead yet

Chloe- Thank God for that. I’ll call you tomorrow morning okay?

Lynette- Please don’t, I’ll be fine honey. Don’t worry about a thing

Chloe- Okay, I love you okay

Lynette- Love you too

That call from my mom really helped. She always knew how to make me feel better but I still couldn’t shake the feeling that I won’t have her around anymore. I had a glass of milk before going back to bed. In the hallway I saw that Nikki’s room light was on but she wasn’t awake. I turned it off, kissed her on the cheek goodnight and put myself to bed too.

The next day I woke up and went for a jog with Muffin but I was joined by Tyler. I’d never seen him on my morning jogs and I was actually glad to have company this time (I grew tired of talking to the dog) during our jog Tyler expressed his feelings for Sade and I almost got emotional. I’d never thought I’d see the day my daughter would be engaged and having a baby. I started to cry. Tyler stopped to talk to me:

 

Tyler- Hey, is everything okay?

Chloe- Yes

Tyler- Then why the teary face?

Chloe- I just didn’t think I’d see the day when I heard how amazing my daughter is from someone else

Tyler- She really is hey, I really love her Mrs Martin

Chloe-I know Tyler, I love her too. I just wish she’d stay my little girl forever

Tyler- but she is. You don’t know how much she loves you. I’m not taking her away

Chloe- I know, it’s just so hard seeing them grow up so fast

Tyler- You can’t stop them though. Them growing up is a milestone. You need to treasure it always

Chloe- I’ll try. Thank you for listening Tyler. You really are perfect for my daughter. I know why she loves you so much now

Tyler- Thanks Mrs Martin. Coming from you, that means the world to me

So after my little emotional breakdown I decided to take Tyler out for breakfast. We had an amazing time and I found out a few things about him. That he was adopted, he was now living with his granddad and his brother committed suicide. All that made my petty things look…petty. There was no reason to cry about something I couldn’t control. Tyler was living breathing proof that moving on helps and I learnt a lot about myself during breakfast too. We got breakfast for everyone else and went back home.

Back at the house I saw that Blue was the only one awake and it was unusual because usually at 8 everyone would be awake and the house would be buzzing. I sat outside in the garden with Blue and tried teaching him how to say a few words:

 

Chloe- Hi baby, can you say hi back to mommy?

                **Blue Shakes His Head**

Chloe- Okay, can you say daddy. Say Dada!

Blue- No (Baby talk) (Baby talk) (And more baby talk)

Chloe- Mommy can’t hear you baby. Say your own name then. Say Blue

Blue- Giyam ma

I was shocked and amazed that Blue’s first word was grandma (Saying no didn’t count) I was so happy that I spun him around and lifted him high up. Gave him loads of kissing and he kept saying no but I wasn’t going to stop because I wanted him to realize how proud I was and how happy that he said something other than no. From a distance I saw Ben looking at us from inside with a cup of coffee in his hand.

 


 

He waved at me and Blue waved back. Ben then blew a big kiss and disappeared inside the house.

It was time for the dreaded lunch with Nikki and Bee’s boyfriends and I was getting pretty excited. Bee told me not to be hard on Alex but with a name like that, I had no choice. He arrived earlier than Nikki’s boyfriend and I see why they belong together already because they both couldn’t keep time. I got to know Alex and he told me a little more about my daughter. I asked all Bee’s favourite things from her favourite band, colour, sweet, chocolate and car. Alex surprisingly got them all right. “One Direction, baby blue after his brother, she doesn’t like sweets and all sorts of chocolate. Her favourite car is a BMW. A black one.” those answers flew naturally out of Alex’s mouth. I could tell that he knew everything there was to know about Bee. Then it was time for James. He got almost all the questions right apart from the one about the band. (He couldn’t decide from 5 seconds of summer and One Direction) but he was still wrong because Nikki’s favourite band was Bastille.

After all the intense stuff was out of the way, the fun began. Everyone played football, we had a barbeque, swam (Sade couldn’t because of the whole giving birth thing) and we played loads of bored games like Monopoly, Scrabble and 5 Seconds. I was glad that I got to spend time with the other important people in my daughters’ lives. It all ended with a nice bonfire in the backyard, roasting marshmallows and eating smores. It was indeed a great day. And throughout the whole day, I didn’t even think of my mom. I was actually proud of myself and I’d accepted the fact that she was okay and there was no need for me to worry.

           **Three Months Later!!**

This day still replays in my head every time I close my eyes. I remember it like it was yesterday. I had just gotten off the phone with Sade telling her that my mom was doing fine. I was playing in the garden with Bluey while Ben took Nikki to get her tooth removed and Bee was with Alex and I was okay with that. It was midday and the sun was just setting when I got a call from an unfamiliar number:

 

Dr- Hi is this Mrs Martin?

Chloe- Yes, how may I help you?

Dr- I’m your moms doctor. I need you guys to come here immediately

Chloe- Why is there something wrong?

Dr- I can’t speak over the phone, please come here urgently

I hung up and my body felt numb. I couldn’t breathe and I was panicking. Ben had just arrived with Nikki and I told them that we needed to go there immediately. As I drove to the retirement home I tried not to think of the worst. What if something was wrong? Maybe it’s just nothing. I convinced myself that everything was fine. We pulled over at the home and it all happened. I walked in and went straight to my mom’s room but she wasn’t there. That made me even more depressed but the doctor told me she’d been moved.

                       **Sunset!!**

We all gathered around the bed that lay an angel. My mom, she looked frail and exhausted but she still looked beautiful (She always did) the sun outside had stopped setting as though to tell us that we still had time. Time to say goodbye to an angel sent from heaven. I held her hand and started to sob. I was in tears and I was mad.

 

Angry that God took away my guardian angel. Moms aren’t supposed to die, parents in general. I was angry at God that he took both my parents and left me with nothing. My mom took a deep breath and said:

“Wow, all of you guys made it. I just want to thank all of you guys for making this the greatest 90th birthday. I never thought my only daughter would give me such a big family. I love all of you guys. Now, I know that there’s usually a will and stuff but I didn’t have one because all the possessions in the world never beat the love I had for you lot. Leaving you guy’s material things would be so cliché and boring. I actually left a video for you guys to look at and remember this gorgeous face (Laugh/cough) oh, is this my great granddaughter? Let me hold her”

 

Sade then put Lidia on my mom’s lap and started crying. Sade knew my mom more than Nikki, Bee and Bluey did so this struck her and hit her like a ton of bricks. My mom brushed Lidia’s forehead with her frail shaken hands. Then she gave her back. Everyone kind of got nervous when my mom tried to get up to give Sad the baby. Then she held Bluey on her lap.

He kept saying grandma over and over again and I thought it was the best birthday present ever. The sun outside was still shinning and it was now slowly setting and I realized that it was reflecting on my mom’s life. Her life was slowly setting and she was entering an eternal sleep. I looked back at my mom, she winked and breathed out “I love you” then she was out. Her last breath stuck and lingered in the air and I could tell that it had an impact on everyone. The doctor came in and switched off the machine then he sent his regards and left the room.

So she was dead now, gone, never to smile or laugh again.

 

Never to tell me to be strong and never again will she ever be my rock but was I still angry? No! I realised that it all happened for a reason, she lived a good life and now she had to go to heaven and take care of my dad (Before he burned down heaven and got himself kicked out). I wasn’t angry anymore because she was finally happy and in a better place. I wasn’t going to stop living my life, instead I’ll make it my everyday mission to make them proud up there in heaven. I had the craziest parents in the world (In Heaven I mean) and they clearly left their mark in this world. I truly will always miss that crazy duo.


At home Sade was in her room eating her 5th tub of ice-cream. I knew she was hurting and that she was still in pain but putting herself in such a state was going to rub off on the baby and that wouldn’t be good for anyone at the moment. I sat next to her on her bed and put on the DVD. There in full colour and still glowing, was my mother Lynette. She looked healthier than earlier. It began:


“Well, if you’re seeing this then you know I’m either looking up or down at you. I just want to thank you for being amazing to me. I think I didn’t deserve you as a daughter because you were too good for me and you had big dreams. You reached your goals and dreams and you lived life to the fullest. Hopefully you’ll carry on living like that even after my death Now, I know that Sade is sulking, I need you to give this to her (Takes off her necklace)… Sade baby, this was given from my mother-in-law, to your father and then to me. I want you to have it baby girl. Keep it and remember me by. Please don’t cry (Sade starts crying) I said don’t cry! Don’t dwell on my passing, instead celebrate my life and enjoy me. Love me from a distance. That’s what this is, a long distance relationship. I will hopefully see you soon and I love you all. Carry on living life as if I’m there…like if I was away on holiday waiting for you guys to join me. Please be good to one another, I love you again…see you all later ”


The screen slowly  faded to black and she was gone. She was away from me and her family. I looked over at Sade and she had stopped crying. I gave her the necklace and we hugged for a long time.

 

It was official and it sunk in that my kids didn’t have a grandma, my husband didn’t have a mom and I had lost the most important person in my life.


After the funeral I found out that I was pregnant. It was bittersweet. This baby was probably sent to fill the big hole my mom left. I was prepared to make it happen. I was ready to carry on my parent’s legacy and make them proud in heaven.


Sade and Tyler postponed their wedding, Nikki and Bee went to school in Washington DC. In the house it was just me, Ben, Bluey and an empty house full of memories. A house ready to be stored with other memories that will surely be our mark in the world.

                    **The End!**



© 2015 Aphy!


Author's Note

Aphy!
Usually I edit and read over my work but I decided not to this time... because I tend to add unnecessary things and the whole thing just doesn't make sense. But anyway, please feel free to comment or add on anything here. And I'd appreciate it even more if you finished reading (I admit this is a bit long)
Happy reading and part...5 is on its way!

Aphy

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is a great read and a nice family tale from their miracles that they shared to their hardship. Really heart breaking when she died though. Thank you for sharing this

Posted 8 Years Ago


Aphy!

8 Years Ago

Glad u enjoyed it! It's actually a 7 part book and I'm already on part 4. Will be posting more soon!
Angelique

8 Years Ago

I can't wait to read more :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

168 Views
1 Review
Added on October 20, 2015
Last Updated on October 29, 2015


Author

Aphy!
Aphy!

Pietermaritzburg, KZN, South Africa



About
I'm Aphiwe Bhengu from South Africa. I really enjoy writing and reading. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE Anime and Manga! I'm a very optimistic person and I believe in individuality because the worlds too crazy alr.. more..

Writing
Opposite Love Opposite Love

A Poem by Aphy!