Chapter 14

Chapter 14

A Chapter by Sydney Stevens

Chapter Fourteen

I start to feel lonely traveling without Choco. Even though he had only been with us for a couple of days, he’d been such a great traveling companion. The space next to me feels so empty without him trotting happily beside me, or licking Joel’s hand repeatedly, or wandering off for a minute and coming back with a squirrel.
I know Joel is feeling the same way. Even though I can’t see his face, I can read his body language and tell he’s disappointed. Plus, I can sense it in the air that everyone is missing Choco. Maybe that’s what it feels like when dogs can sense emotion.
Just as though my thoughts came to life, I hear barking.
“Choco?” I whisper. I yank on Joel’s arm, “Choco!”
He turns around, and Mama and Pop follow suit.
The barking comes closer, followed by a man shouting.
“Mama, let’s go.” Pop says urgently.
My confusion melts into panic, “Pop, what’s the matter?”
“I don’t think that’s Choco. Run!” Pop yells.
All of us start running, fueled by pure, unfiltered terror. I feel my blood pounding, and I can hear my heart beating in my ears. My muscles are strained, but I have no time to stop and rest. Pop grabs my arm and drags me along when I show the tiniest signs of slowing my pace. I briefly glance over and see Mama pushing Joel ahead of her. 
We keep pushing ahead for a minute until we hear a gunshot. All of us stop and turn around at the same time. Pop and Mama instinctively push Joel and I behind them. I peek around Pop’s shoulder and see a dog rush through a cluster of bushes. I recognize it as the same German Shepherd from McNeil’s plantation. I feel dread sink to the bottom of my stomach. If that’s McNeil’s dog, then that must mean that-
A man riding a horse comes through the brush with four other men flanking him. McNeil. He dismounts, saunters up to Pop, draws his revolver back, and strikes Pop across the face. Pop falls to the ground.
I scream as loudly as I possibly can. I lean down to Pop and shake him. He has a trickle of blood on his temple, but he’s breathing. I hear McNeil laughing, and rage overtakes me. I snap my leg back, and it makes contact with McNeil’s knee with a sickening crack. He screams and doubles over. I am about to kick him again when two of the men grab me from behind. I scream and kick, but the men tighten their grips until I feel lightheaded.
The men close in on Mama and Joel and yank their arms behind them. They start to struggle until McNeil pulls his revolver back out.
He points it to my head, “I wouldn’t struggle if I were you, Eliza,” He spits. “Get the rope, Miller.”
Miller blinks, “Me?”
“Yes, you, you idiot! It doesn’t take two full grown men to hold a little girl! Leave Davis with her and grab the rope!” McNeil snarls.
Miller hurries away and I take the opportunity. I snap my head back and crack Davis in the nose. He yelps in pain and his grip loosens. I wrench my hands free and hear a gun c**k behind me. I dash to the side just in time, and the bullet skims Davis’ pants. He screeches higher than I thought any man could go. I backpedal wildly and trip over my boot
“That was close, McNeil! I ain’t doing this if you tryin’ to kill me!” Davis whines.
McNeil points the gun at Davis, “Listen to me, you oaf! You are dispensable. Get that through your thick skull right now! It would be my highest pleasure to shoot you right now if you are showing any disloyalty. So, grab the girl and get moving before I change my mind!”
Without another word, Davis wrenches me off of the ground and holds my arms tighter than I can take. I cry out in pain, but all he does is tighten his grip. Maybe struggling wasn’t the best option, but I am going to show McNeil that I am not going back without making him fight me. And I will fight to the bitter end. Now that I got a taste of freedom, I ain’t going back. That is a promise.
Miller comes back with the rope. He binds our hands together and makes a long chain. He arouses Pop, binds his hands to the front of the rope, then secures the rope to McNeil’s horse. The four men follow on either side of us, and the German Shepherd brings up the rear. First chance I get, I’m kicking that dog in the nose. 
   ***
After an hour of walking, we enter into a town. I doubt that it’s Woodstock, because we changed directions and never came across the railroad tracks. It’s small and quaint, though and would be thoroughly enjoyable if I wasn’t tied to a horse being led to who knows what, most likely slavery, again.
I look around the town. The fresh scent of bread drifts by my nose as we pass a bakery. There’s many people walking around, and they seem to be carrying merchandise. There are wheels of cheese and vats of honey, crates of chickens and jars of jelly. Everyone has something to sell. I wonder. I have no time to think about it because we stop in front of a house.
“This is the one we received a tip about. Search the place and then report ‘em to the confederate soldiers.” McNeil orders.
Two of the men crash through the door and start searching the place. I hear screams as the residents are driven out.
“Sir, there were no slaves, but there is evidence that they may be a part of the railroad.” The men report after searching the house.
“Whatever, just get these ones in the cellar and tie ‘em up. Don’t forget to lock the doors.” McNeil says while gesturing at us.
The rest of the men grab the ropes on our hands and shove us into the house. They take us into the cellar and lock the door while our hands are still bound. When we hear them stomp away, Joel and Pop shimmy up and talk to one another in hushed tones.
“We have to get that door open somehow. C’mon,” Pop says.
They silently go up the crooked stairs to the locked door. They try jiggling the handle first, and when it obviously doesn’t open, they slam all of their body weight onto it. After ten minutes of trying, they come back down and slump on the floor, exhausted.
Sigh. This is gonna be a long night.


© 2020 Sydney Stevens


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

16 Views
Added on January 16, 2020
Last Updated on January 16, 2020


Author

Sydney Stevens
Sydney Stevens

About
Young author in training! Published one book in the past, working on more. I'd like to think everyone would enjoy the stories I'm writing, but the target audience is teens. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Sydney Stevens


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Sydney Stevens


Chapter 3 Chapter 3

A Chapter by Sydney Stevens