Stanzas by Mary W. Shelley

Stanzas by Mary W. Shelley

A Poem by Pryde Foltz
"

read by Pryde Foltz

"
Stanzas

written by Mary W. Shelley
and read by Pryde Foltz




Mary Shelley is best known for Frankenstein, arguably one of the best novels ever written. If you haven't read it you should. Frankenstein's delivery of Naturalism themes is perhaps only rivalled by Emily Bronte with Wuthering HeightsAdmiration of Shelley's prose brought me to take a look at what she did with poetry. Her husband Percy Shelley was a very well-known Romantic poet and she spent much of her life in support of his work. But I did find one piece. Stanzas could be mostly aptly defined as Romantic with its classical themes but there is a much deeper lying darkness that hints at Naturalism. Its four short stanzas do leave the reader wishing she had written a great deal more.

Come to me in dreams, my love, Mary writes …

To read and hear the poem please click on the link below

© 2014 Pryde Foltz


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Nicely done, Pryde. I've always preferred Mary to Percy. :)

Posted 9 Years Ago


Pryde Foltz

9 Years Ago

Thank you, Rita. Percy ain't so bad for a Romantic, but you my Naturalism girls … Emily and Mary.
wow, it was wonderful...
thank you so much for sharing this link...:)

Posted 9 Years Ago


Pryde Foltz

9 Years Ago

Thank you, Sanjh.
Of course I have read Frankenstein (also Wuthering Heights), but never any of Mary Shelly's poetry. THis was lovely.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Pryde Foltz

9 Years Ago

I do believe it to be the only one. Yes it is really gorgeous:)
Well, I never knew Shelley wrote poetry, yet I was familiar with the first line.
A good poem, well read, as always.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Pryde Foltz

9 Years Ago

Thank you, Noel:)
I like that you place her writing high on your list ... well done as always.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Pryde Foltz

9 Years Ago

Thank you, KL. Just about the highest … just a step or two behind an English bloke.
even her love poems have a certain darkness....very well read as always, Pryde.

yes, Frankenstein, one of the best...have you ever read dean koontz' version...his series of Frankenstein novels...? quite different but placed in a modern setting, quite good.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Pryde Foltz

9 Years Ago

Thank you, Jacob. No I haven't … perhaps I should look them up.
jacob erin-cilberto

9 Years Ago

Many people just associate Koontz with King and think Horror, but he is such a good writer...and so .. read more
It was outstanding. Thank you dear Poet.
Coyote

Posted 9 Years Ago


Pryde Foltz

9 Years Ago

Thank you, Coyote.
Coyote Poetry

9 Years Ago

You are welcome.
Mary Shelley lived a tragic life -- her real life is the stuff of tragic fiction that writers only dream of. I've always loved that poem. I think her writing is unfairly overshadowed by her pinnacle of Gothic horror, Frankenstein. Great reading by you.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Pryde Foltz

9 Years Ago

Thank you, MamaDi. I think perhaps Hollywood has played fast and furious with Frankenstein.
MomzillaNC

9 Years Ago

True. The book is quite chilling and tragic, and so much better than anything produced by Hollywood.
An excellent read of a poem full of pathos by a very underrated poetess. Great tribute to Shelley Pryde.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Pryde Foltz

9 Years Ago

Thank you, John:)

2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

953 Views
19 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on November 14, 2014
Last Updated on November 14, 2014

Author

Pryde Foltz
Pryde Foltz

Vancouver, Canada



About
My written work can be found on amazon.com https://goo.gl/o8sLUi Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/prydefoltzwriter/ twitter: @Pryde Foltz Facebook: pryde foltz Youtubehttps:/http://goo.gl/Eqx.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..