Chapter I

Chapter I

A Chapter by Qbjik

Mernion slowly entered Shabal’s tent. He wanted to softly wake up his leader, but soon as he made a second step, older barbarian jumped up awake on his primitive wooden bed, then turned his face to Mernion. Light from the outside was coming straight on the Shabal’s face. For young man, it was first time to actually see the face of his leader. Shabal never put his helmet off in front of anybody. He washed and ate alone. And even now, during the night, his helmet was right next to him and armor was still on his body.

Shabal wasn’t a prettiest sight. Skin of barbarian’s leader was pale as skin of long-time dead man and his dark hair, while long and clean, were destroyed from constant pressure of helmet. Face was full of destructed skin and scars. His eyes at that moment were wide open and overall, he looked like a nightmare.

Two barbarians were staring at each other for a longer moment.

- Elves arrived - finally said Mernion.

- Great. I will join in a moment. - answered Shabal and instantly put on his helmet. Mernion was happy to not have to look at his scary face anymore.

At the sight of black armored leader of barbarians, Exoriss bowed deep down. Shabal recognized elf as companion of Echar from the summit.

- Hello. I remember you - started barbarian.

- Ahh yes, we didn’t have a chance to meet personally thought. My name is Exoriss and this is my friend, Panwarel - he pointed at half-giant. Shabal scanned elf with bit of curiosity.

- I’m Shabal, but that you know. So, what brings you here?

- We just came back from Suna. What we found there… best if you speak with Echar.

- Is he around?

- Yes, we made a camp just north from here. Please follow me.

Mernion escorted his leader and guests to the border of the camp, then went back to campfire. Deep inside he hoped he could go with others and meet rest of elves. Last year of his life was mostly about doing works in the camp and hunting for food. He had a chance to fight minotaurs a few times, but usually Shabal or other companion stayed nearby. Mernion was excited for next days, for meeting elves and having a chance to travel more.

Shabal arrived at little camp, where Echar and two other elves were sitting at the campfire. Barbarian nodded to greet strangers.

- Nice to see you, Echar.

- Hello my friend. Take a sit - said elf, pointing at a log near campfire.

- May I ask… Why didn’t you come to us earlier? I mean, it’s a night…

- I’m sorry, but we just arrived. In fact, I sent Exoriss and Panwarel before we were fully set. Otherwise I would came myself.

- You could also wait for the morning…

- You humans sleep too much - laughed Echar. Elves indeed had lower needs for sleep - four hours were more than enough for them.

- Alright, alright… So what news do you bring?

- Well, my friend… Nothing good. We searched area around barrier, it got indeed destroyed. At first we thought that one of elves abused power they got from Guardians, but then…

He stopped for a moment.

- What was it? - asked impatiently Shabal.

- We found a proof of demon magic. A strong one.

- It’s impossible! Demons are legends, myths…

- I thought you humans believe that they are locked in a different world.

- That’s what priests say! - snorted Shabal - I don’t believe in that.

- You see… Your priests are correct on this one. Demons are not allowed to be in this world… or so we thought. Do you know origin of demons?

- Not really.

- It’s a good story - started Echar - So, you probably heard about demon that was protecting our island?

- The shapeshifter? I thought it’s just another…

- Legend? Hah, believe me, there is a bit of truth in every legend. He really existed. You see, after we, elves, were created, our island got protection, so we can live in peace. Shapeshifter was our guard from destructive human influence.

Shabal glared at elf with a bit of unamusement.

- I’m sorry my friend, that’s how legend goes! - explained Echar, making Shabal snort.

- You will like next part though - he continued - So, after many years, Shapeshifter got bored of being a guard. Taking that he was always the “bad demon”, while there were good Guardians and almighty Ifar that we all praised - I’m not really surprised. He got actually quite angry at that bit. So he made demons, who were supposed to kill Guardians. He took our race for the target, because he always saw humans as a stronger race.

- Hah! - laughed Shabal - I bet no one of first elves gave him a fight, but humans tried!

- You… You are right. He didn’t manage to make a lot of destruction though. Soon enough, Ifar sent him and his demons to other world. World of emptiness. For beings that are full of destructive rage, that’s probably the worst punishment.

- So now one of them got out?

- Maybe it’s that, or maybe it’s another creation of Ifar… But why?

- Mhm - Shabal thought for a moment in silence - This doesn’t really help us, but it explains how minotaurs got stronger. We really need more allies, but… I didn’t hear from Asanta.

- Me neither. I believe proof we got is enough to motivate elven army though. But even if we get them here, what do we know about the enemy?

- Hmm… We know that we deal with a demon that leads minotaurs. So far we only fought smaller groups of them. No information where to find their forces.

- That isn’t good.

After a longer moment of silence, Echar spoke again.

- I got an idea - he said - Since minotaurs can talk, we can force one of them to tell us something more.

- You think we didn’t try? They rather die than tell us anything…

- If they aren’t scared of death, make them scared of life. I’m sure Exoriss can do that, with a bit of inspiration.

- Inspiration? - asked Shabal.

- Ohh he is an artist, a man of many talents. Anyway, we saw a camp of minotaurs on our way here. Just an hour of walk to the north-east. About twenty of monsters, maybe more. What do you say Shabal?

- I say…- started Shabal as he got up from the log - We should pay them a visit tomorrow.

Echar answered with a smile.

- That’s great. Now, I won’t keep you up any longer. Get your sleep, old man.

Shabal smiled slightly and nodded, then turned around and went back to his camp. On the way back, he was thinking about the future. Something he believed to be a legend turns out to be a truth. A truth that he will have to fight against. How can he kill an enemy he knows nothing about? Many questions bothered old barbarian.

When he returned to camp, Mernion was still on the watch.

- Go to sleep, boy - ordered Shabal - I will take your watch.

It wasn’t usual for him to do that, but he knew he won’t be able to sleep. Too many things bothered his head. Too many things were making him worried.

- Did something happen? - asked younger barbarian.

- It’s… - at first he wanted to comfort his companion, but he decided to not hide the truth - It’s been a long time since you joined us and I can see you are a man now, so I won’t hide the truth from you… Our enemy might be stronger than we thought. Minotaurs might be led by a demon.

Mernion shuddered at last word. When he was young, his dad used to tell him stories about war between Forest Guardians and Shapeshifter’s demons. If mighty being like Guardians couldn’t kill them, how can they do that?

- We can’t lost the hope though - said Shabal - Demon or not, we can kill it. If not with our own weapons, we will find the way. Now go to sleep. Tomorrow we will have some minotaurs to kill.

Young barbarian got excited at thought of fighting. He wanted to see his new elven friends in the action. He went straight to his tent, where he fell asleep.

* * *

Morning arrived faster than expected. Mernion was still a bit sleepy when he went out for the feast. Paustin - cook and only mage in barbarians pack - greet him with a smile. Since young man was mostly responsible for bringing food, both barbarians knew each other quite well. Paustin was a tall man with long dark ponytail. Usually he was wearing a long leather vesture, with fur cover on his shoulders.

- Here, you will need it - he said as he gave Mernion bigger portion of cooked meat - Shabal decided to not bring everybody to the battle, but he wants you to come.

- That’s… interesting. Thank you.

Mernion took his food and sat near one of wooden tables in a field kitchen. Since the summit, barbarians managed to settle down a bit more, but even then, the camp was rather primitive. Shabal didn’t want people to start feeling attached to the place as they never knew what might happen next day.

About hundred of men and women lived there in tents, with low quality of life. First years after leaving comfy cities were really tough to them, but now everything felt just natural. Even Mernion got already used to it.

After eating his food, he joined Shabal near entrance to the camp. All of elves already came there, to go together with barbarians. Exoriss greeted young barbarian.

- Mernion! Come here, meet my friends! - he screamed happily.

Aside from Echar, there were two other elves that young barbarian haven’t met yet. One of them was wearing yellow coat with green cloak and red pants and boots. On his back Mernion noticed a bow and bunch of colourful arrows. On his cloak he had a golden pin in shape of eagle. He had shoulder-length blonde hair and overall he seemed very elegant.

- This is Avenlight. Best archer in the world, right after me.

Other elf was a bit shorter. On white robes, he was wearing a green padded armor with wide shoulder pads in same colour. His hair was white as snow, a bit shorter than Avenlight’s, but with a ponytail coming out of tip of his head. A long and narrow sword was hidden in a scabbard on his back.

- My name is Sythaeryn. Nice to meet you human - he said, before Exoriss managed to say a word. Elf pointed at third stranger, Echar. Old elf was wearing his blue vesture, with a green armor chest under it. With his long light gray hair fixed in a braid, a straight pose and silver sabre by the side, he seemed like a great elven veteran.

- This is Echar, a leader of our group.

- Oh, I’m no leader. I’m just trying to make their lives more interesting - he chuckled - nice to meet you, Mernion.

- It’s a pleasure to meet you all. I never met any elves before - answered barbarian.

- You will get bored of us soon enough - said Exoriss.

- By the way - Echar turned to Shabal - Erek should join us in a few weeks.

- Ahh Erek… He always has to go his own path, huh?

- He has some… business in Avergard.

- Business… Alright. I think we should be good to go in about an hour. Mernion, you should speak with Studr. He has something for you.

- I will, thank you.

Mernion turned around and left Shabal with elves, then went to Studr, blacksmith of barbarians. Metalworker was a bit of a scary man. He lost his right eye in a battle long ago. Since then, he started helping by working in his workshop. He spent most of his time there and he was really good at his work. As Mernion arrived near his forge, he jumped out to greet him, wearing just leather apron over his massive body. A strong hug from old sweating man wasn’t the most pleasure experience in young barbarian’s life.

- I have a gift for you! - he almost screamed into Mernion’s face - Follow me!

He led barbarian into a cave, used as warehouse. After entering the dark room, he took a torch from the wall and lit it, leading past rows of primitive chests.

- Shabal said we are going serious on minotaurs - said old blacksmith - Your sword might be good for wolves, but you need something better.

He opened one of the chest and took a green leather scabbard with a sword inside it.

- This is for you. Let’s go outside and give it a try!

New blade seemed much better than old one. It was lighter and in far better state. While overall it looked like simple sword, it had a red stone inside it’s guard. Mernion made a few swings in air outside the cave.

- How you like it, boy? - asked old man.

- It’s a great sword. Thank you.

- You are welcome. Make a good use out of it - old man smiled.

* * *

Matrik woke up at the usual time. Even though he only had to attend afternoon meeting this day, he was used to waking up early in the morning. It was part of his discipline. His morning ritual was always the same - first he was doing his bathroom, then in front of his giant mirror, he was sorting his bright, slightly blue hair to look at least acceptable. Often at that time, he got caught up by deep thoughts of war and people for whom his face was a last thing they saw in their live. “Soldier’s life” he often said. When he felt ready to go, he was putting his armor on and going to tavern to eat a breakfast. He was no cook and he was living alone, so tavern was usual place to find him at that hour.

Every day in last fifteen years of his life was the same. And this one was no different.

After eating his food - bread with some cooked meat - he decided to take a walk around the city. It was his favourite thing to do in his free time. In fact, aside from times when he got invited to have some drinks with Aidan, it was only thing he was doing. During the walk he observed people - citizens, for whom he fought. These random people were his biggest inspiration to keep fighting and hope for war to end. He felt like their defender, even though many of them didn’t feel that way about him. Soldiers of Avergard didn’t have the best opinion among people. They were considered ignorant, blinded by rage that started from their king. There were many acts of abusement from soldiers, and not many acts of help from them when someone got robbed or attacked by bandits. But Matrik wasn’t aware of that.

When the time came, Matrik showed up in army fortress. He was supposed to meet a general, to discuss tactic for battle that was planned for next day. When he came into the meeting room, he saw that Aidan was also there.

- Hello Matrik - said general - Glad you arrived on time.

- Hello general. Aidan.

- I’m sure you both know about plan for tomorrow. We are going to attack Blindrun, the home of many Eshangard’s necromancers. They are important force for them, so we might expect a lot of soldiers there. Good thing is they don’t have many defenses aside from outer walls. Space inside is quite open, so once we get in, it will be easy to surround them. The problem are necromancers and their magic.

- Bloody mages - said Matrik - I fought some of them before, things they can do… Are just unnatural! No human should posses magic like that.

General nodded.

- That’s why we need to take them down as fast we can. Look here at the plan - they will most likely stay in their headquarters. It’s sort of a palace, with lots of balconies and all that fancy Eshangard’s stuff. Matrik, I want you to lead an unit of cavalry. Your target will be to cross soldiers and focus on the bloody mages.

- With a pleasure - smiled Matrik. He hated magic in any form, especially necromancy. Luckily for him, necromancy wasn’t allowed in Avergard, so only necromancers he met were his enemies.

- Aidan, you will lead rest of the soldiers. You will go in first, making a cover for Matrik and his people.

- Simple enough.

- Well then. That’s all I think. We are moving out tomorrow morning. Get a rest.

Both officers nodded and left the general. Aidan suggested going to tavern and Matrik agreed to that. While they were having a feast, younger officer started the conversation.

- Necromancers. It’s bit of shame. Would be good to have them on our side.

- Are you joking? - asked surprised Matrik - Their magic isn’t natural! Ifar should take them as they stand.

- As far as I know he gave us all kinds of magic, necromancy included… Besides, they don’t do anything so unnatural… Just making dead bodies fight for them.

- That doesn’t seem unnatural to you? You are weird, my friend.

- You are just stubborn, while I can see the potential.

- Potential of having your body serve some filthy mage? He could use you to kill your allies and do other things you would never do!

- I mean, my soul would be already away, so it doesn’t matter.

- And what if he used your body for his personal needs and you had to watch it from afterlife?

- Okay old man, you have your point! - Aidan got shocked. He didn’t see that coming from his older friend, who usually seemed tactful. Matrik smirked at him. After a moment of silence, Aidan asked a question.

- Out of curiosity, do you know what’s the deal with Blindrun? I mean, I know many mages, but only necromancers seem to be so united.

- Magic isn’t my thing. I heard that necromancy is a bit specific though. You know, playing with death, making armies of undeads. The control is necessary. So we simply imprison or kill them here, while Eshangard has its Blindrun.

- So they control them there… You better watch out, once you get inside.

- I will, don’t worry.

Rest of the meal got finished in silence. Afterwards, both of friends went to their houses to rest before the next day.

* * *

A group of barbarians and elves arrived at the minotaur’s camp. Minotaurs were advanced race when it came to building simple fortification. Entire area was surrounded by spiked wooden walls, with a giant entrance providing the way in. Two minotaurs were watching over it. Shabal and Echar were looking at the camp from safe distance.

- Seems simple enough - started Echar - Exoriss and Avenlight can take them out easily from here.

- I want to catch them unprepared, so soon after that we will have to run there. I don’t want to lose any man here.

- You seem worried Shabal? We killed more of them back in the years…

- It’s different now. And I guess knowledge of source of their power doesn’t help either.

- They still bleed, you know that.

- Alright, alright. We also need to tell our people to leave one alive.

- Don’t worry about it, Exoriss will take care of it personally.

- If you say so. I’m just afraid it’s another won battle without getting any closer to winning war.

- That we will see about - Echar smiled.

Plan made by elf worked well. When everybody got ready, both Exoriss and Avenlight shot their bows at minotaurs that watched over the entrance. One could argue who had better accuracy, but outcome of both strikes was identical.

Group of barbarians and elves rushed inside the primitive fort. Mernion got opportunity to test his new blade, so he rushed to closest unprepared minotaur, and stabbed it right through it chest. The beast roared in pain, but then it managed to hit barbarian so hard, that he flied few meters away. With a blade in his chest, bull started walking towards lying Mernion, but then a flash of electrical magic ended its life. Barbarian stood up and realised it was Exoriss that casted the spell. He was surprised that elf is not only a great archer, but also knows some magic.

Somewhere else, Echar was sliding through enemies, cutting them with his sabre and evading their attacks so swiftly, that some of minotaurs didn’t know what exactly hit them. As for his old age, he was more talented warrior than most of his barbarian companions. At some point he got surrounded by five minotaurs, which got noticed by Sythaeryn, who jumped in with his long sword. Both of elves started slashing minotaur unarmored bodies, that soon turned into dead bodies.

As opposite to other swift and agile elves, Panwarel was fighting just like barbarians. One could easily mistake him as one of Shabal’s men. His giant sharp axe could cut minotaur in half with one good swing. He also got a support from Avenlight, who was shooting his bow from top of the entrance. Once there were too many of minotaurs, bowmaster sent one of his red arrows. Upon hit, arrows exploded, scaring the beast, which allowed Panwarel to kill them one by one.

When fight was over, Exoriss arrived in the middle of the camp with one of minotaurs being surrounded by magical chains. Hand of elf was flashing as he held up the spell.

- Now you gonna tell us location of your army! - yelled elf.

- I will tell you nothing! - answered minotaur. Hand of elf flashed with stronger light and the bindings around beast got tighter, making it roar from pain.

- You sure about it?

- Gaah, I’m not scared of death! - screamed beast. Exoriss tighten the chains, making body of minotaur bleed in few places. Seeing how ineffective it is, he pulled a knife from his pocket.

- Pain isn’t enough? Let’s see how you gonna talk without one of your horns!

- What? No, no my horns! What will I be without them?

Exoriss didn’t expect the beast to care about his horns. He wanted to ask, but then he realised that it might destroy his sinister image in eyes of the bull.

- Then talk! Where can we find your army?

- We are split around, we are everywhere!

- Who is your leader then?

- You killed him! - he looked at one of the bodies.

- What about other minotaurs, you must have a leader!

- I don’t know, there was a messenger but he only talked to the leader!

- You surely know where he came from!

- H-he… H-he…

- Talk! - screamed Exoriss, pointing knife in minotaur’s face.

- High mountain in the north! He came from there!

- Meliraine Mountain. Must be also a location of your leader. What about the demon who freed you? Is that the person who sends orders?

- D-demon? We are not… We are not allowed to… - suddenly red eyes of the bull turned yellow. He looked around, scanning the people, then stopped on Mernion - Mernion. I’m glad to see you finally.

Everybody around was shocked. Voice of bull seemed suddenly much calmer and he stared deeply at the young barbarian.

- How do you know my name?

In the answer minotaur just started laughing madly. Everybody couldn’t believe what they are witnessing. In the end, his eyes suddenly stopped glowing. The beast started to looking around, then tried to escape the chains, which effected in hurting itself even more.

- I think he is no use anymore - said Echar - Acts just like stupid beast we fought years ago.

Exoriss hand flashed with hard light and then stopped glowing. Minotaur lied dead on the ground, having his body smashed in few places.

- That was odd - said Shabal - But now we know location of whoever makes orders to these camps. I will send scouts to investigate. We should prepare to leave our camp.

- I think we should wait for elven army - opposed Echar - Your people are great warriors, but you aren’t many. We don’t know what we might meet there.

- It will take months for them to come! That is, if they come.

- I’m sure they will. This is a danger to entire world we know.

- So, send a message to them. While waiting, we can go to the north. We will scout and see what we can do.

Echar sighed.

- Actually, I will need to go there personally - he said - They are too proud to listen to the letters. However, they are not too strong if talked to directly.

- Elves… I would prefer to fight with you by my side, but… If that’s necessary.

- Hmm I think rest of us can stay with you. I will manage talking on my own. Of course if they want. Exoriss?

- I will be happy to help in fighting here - answered elf and rest of them followed him.

- So… - said Echar - Was nice to fight together again, my friend.

- It’s not the last time - answered Shabal - Goodluck with the talks.

- Don’t get yourself killed - smiled Echar.

Elf and barbarian shook hands. Echar bowed to rest of his companions, then turned around, heading to Grasshost, a port town where his ship was stationed.

Barbarians and rest of elves returned to the camp and started preparations for moving out. After some thoughts and discussions, Shabal decided that leaving some people behind is a good idea. They needed a place to which they can return at any time, without having to start over again. Someone asked “does that mean we can finally build normal houses here?”. Barbarian leader never felt a need for that. For him, even though they spent about a year at that place, it was still just temporary. But he had to accept that not everybody was able to move again. Not everybody was still able to fight.

In the end about sixty of men moved out. Blacksmith Studr was working all the night just to make a few more good pieces of weapon. In the morning, he would look proudly at marching warriors with his axes, swords and shields on their backs. He would, if he wasn’t getting his sleep back at that time.

* * *

In big hall in western part of the island, gathered the elders from all around Suna island. Even though they all belonged to one tribe, they lived in different parts of the island. Smaller tribes united years ago, making big one. Ever since that time, picking a new leader was always troublesome, as all of the elders had to agree for one person. This time wasn’t any different. Elders were meeting once in a month to have a pointless discussion that ended with no new leader being decided.

Usual feast got interrupted by sudden guest. Everybody looked at young man, as Kanvan entered the room. Normal tribe members weren’t allowed to enter the meeting and he knew about it.

- What is this? You are not allowed here! - yelled one of elders.

- My name is Kanvan! I want to speak with all of you.

- We are picking a leader here, you need to leave now!

- Are you though? It’s been a long time since our old leader died on my eyes! And every time you meet here, nothing comes out of it!

- You know the rules! We have to agree on one person together!

- This is a nonsense, you won’t ever agree on one person. As long as there are at least two stubborns among you, nothing will be decided!

Voices of indignation filled the room.

- That’s our old rule, decided by first leader who united us long ago - said another elder - Nothing you can do about it. Now leave, before I force you…

- What about I suggest a new leader? Someone who isn’t related to any of you, but who is known all around the island!

- You can’t suggest anyone! You are not an elder! - screamed one of elders.

- Wait - said another - Let’s hear it.

- Why would we allow that? It’s only our decision.

- We wasted enough of time on this! If this young man knows someone we didn’t consider before, let’s hear him.

Both elders sat down, letting Kanvan speak.

- I suggest Aryn Onner as our new leader.

Suddenly whispers in the room stopped. One of the elders bursted out.

- You are kidding right? That man is gone insane. He is living alone in the deepest jungle! Nobody knows what happens to him!

- As I said, he isn’t close with any of you, but you know how great warrior he is. And that’s what we need, a great warrior to lead us!

- Hah, he would lead us into the madness!

- We won’t know…

- We do know, now please leave us to decide on some serious person!

- Actually, it might be a good idea - said another elder.

- What? You want to trust him?

- Aryn is a man of action. Sometimes it’s too fast action, yes, but that’s what we need against lizards. If we keep on talking, we either pick someone to whom not all of us agreed or we all get killed by lizard beasts!

The room became silent again. For few moments everybody was thinking about it in the silence. Finally, the most opposing elder spoke.

- Aryn Onner then. Is anybody against it?

Nobody spoke up.

- So it’s decided. Young man, I have a task for you.

- What is it? - asked Kanvan.

- Find Aryn and bring him here, so we can make him our next leader.



© 2018 Qbjik


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

47 Views
Added on December 10, 2018
Last Updated on December 10, 2018
Tags: fantasy, barbarians, minotaurs, war, demon, adventure, fighting, magic


Author

Qbjik
Qbjik

Poland



Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Qbjik


Chapter II Chapter II

A Chapter by Qbjik


Chapter III Chapter III

A Chapter by Qbjik