Chapter V

Chapter V

A Chapter by Qbjik

Chapter V

About one and half of week have passed since Echar’s ship left the port town Grasshost. It was a calm trip, without any troubles on the way. During that time, elf was mostly busy with his own thoughts, preparing for his talk with his leaders. Kayna was trying to talk with him a few times, asking questions about him and his past, but she didn’t get any decent answers. Every morning, when he was having a tea on the quarterdeck, she would join him and silently watch the endless sea that surrounded them.

While he seemed to not care about her presence, he noticed that every day her dress was different, but it was always something fancy. He was wondering how person of low status managed to get all of this, but he was a bit scared to hear the answer. In the end it didn’t matter, she was just part of the crew that will eventually leave.

Land appeared on the horizon. They were getting close to Jafnore and elf observed the lowering distance to the island. In a way he missed his home. Even though he spent most of his life away from it, he liked it as a place of return. He always thought of getting old and sitting in his tree-house, looking at his souvenirs and thinking about the adventures he went through. But it was not the time for getting old. Not before the demon is defeated.

As they got closer, he went to his room and changed his clothes. He put on a long, purple vesture, decorated with golden linings and sleeve cuffs. He changed his boots from dirty ones to short shiny black shoes with golden laces. Even though they were not visible under his long vesture, he could not make any mistake when it came to his clothing. Elves of Jafnore paid a lot of attention to it.

After changing his outfit, he went back to watching the land. In corner of his eye he saw Kayna appearing, just to go back after noticing him. Few minutes later she came back, wearing long, strapless, purple dress, with a golden belt and tiny cuts on the bottom. Her hands were covered by long half-transparent gloves in same colour. On her neck she had a short golden necklace with a stone in colour of her blue eyes.

She joined next to Echar.

- Why are you doing this? - he asked.

- Doing what?

- Matching my outfit. Why?

- Oh, you know, we will look better that way - she chuckled - I can see how you elves are. Can’t risk your reputation die because of my bad taste.

- You are not coming with me though. You will stay with the rest.

- Excuse me? - she asked with a false shock on her face - This is Jafnore, island of elves! I want first hand experience of entire land, not just some stinky port town.

- Our port towns don’t stink.

- Then these guys won’t have a fun there - she looked at other crew members. Echar silently chuckled at that comment.

- I hope they won’t get too bored before I’m back.

- Before we are back - she smiled and wrapped around his arm. Elf gave her a quick look and shaked his head in disagreement, but he knew it’s a lost case.

As the ship got close to the port, what initially looked like a lot of trees, started to look like a town. A long green bridge made out by living branches was going into the sea. Ship softly stationed next to it and opened the exit bridge. Echar and Kayna went first, followed by members of the crew, who decided to check local tavern. Elf lead the human through the town, to the other end of it. Every few moments Kayna was stopping for a moment to look at the buildings or other objects that were shaped by the nature.

- This place is beautiful - she said - You need to show me your house.

- It’s far from here, in the centre part of the island.

- That’s a bit far, isn’t it?

- We will use a carriage.

Ever since the war started, carriages were a rare view on the main island. On Jafnore however, they were a main mean of transport. Elven towns were spread across the island, distanced by kilometers of wild and beautiful forest.

Echar and Kayna got to the gate of the town. Between two thick oaks, there was a bunch of tangled branches. As they got closed, branches started to split, making a passage for them. Human woman looked with fascination at how nature responds to their presence.

Outside of the town there was a giant tree, empty inside with thick walls. Next to it were a few of carriages, all in white colour, with green and blue decorations on the sides and brown wheels.

- Wait here - said Echar and he entered the tree. After a moment, he came back with a tall four-legged creature. It looked like a horse, with a light green skin and leaves instead of hairs. Its body was covered with green symbols. From time to time, a yellow light went through them, lighting up the surrounding.

Elf mounted the creature to one of carriages, then opened the door and pointed it with his hand, inviting Kayna. She went in and sit on the back of carriage, while elf sit on front bench, facing her. Soon as they sat down, the carriage moved on.

- Wait. Where is the driver? Did you just steal it? - woman started asking questions.

- I didn’t steal it. They are free to use here - he answered - And we don’t need a driver, it knows where to go.

- This is way different than what I remember from our lands.

- We don’t use money here. We live together with nature - he looked away - our little delusional world.

- Delusional, hm?

- People here believe that we will be never attacked. That’s why they didn’t want to get involved in any of the wars. I think last time that elves fought was during Shapeshifter rebelion.

- Oh, Shapeshifter… It was a famous legend in a village I came from. Father of my good friend liked to tell it… - she saddened - We also believed that war won’t reach us.

- Peace and safety are just illusions.

- Illusions indeed.

The carriage left the forest and now they were in a giant glade, covered with beautiful grass and flowers on both sides of the road. Both of travelers spaced away. Echar was thinking about his way of making elves join the war. Even though activity of a demon might be a strong argument, he wasn’t sure if it’s strong enough to make them move their armies outside the island. Kayna on the other hand, was enjoying the magnificent surroundings. Still unaware of actual reasons for being there, she just wanted to enjoy the most of this time.

* * *

Days were long and calm during travel to Sapphire Oak. On top of their horses, Mernion and elves passed through the barbarian forest, then used the giant stone bridge to pass the river in the middle of island. With distance of few kilometers, it seemed like the bridge was never ending. In fact it was the longest bridge in the world, made by merchants to connect two parts of the island. Road that was connected to it, was solid, but empty. Since beginning of the world, merchants from the east part resigned from going west, limiting their trades to smaller villages around Asanta.

Two times during the travel - on second and fourth night - Mernion dreams got controlled by his enemy. Both of times were similar. Same as his first dream, both of them happened on the road where he first met Shabal and in both of them he was forced to fight his leader. Luckily Shabal wasn’t anywhere around, so in the end young barbarian was waking up, confused about what just happened.

On fifth day they got off the road, into the forest on the south. Trees that surrounded them seemed different than what Mernion was used to. While forests in the western part of the island were full of green pines and oaks, trees that surrounded them were all colorful and exotic. Some of them had fruits that were new to young barbarian. He particularly got interested in giant blue fruits that looked like oranges. To his disappointment, he got stopped by Exoriss, who told him that these fruits are very toxic.

There was one more strange thing about that forest. Mernion felt constantly observed by someone. A mysterious being without the body.

- What is this place? - he asked Exoriss.

- We are getting close. These trees are all affected by Forest Guardian magic.

- I feel… Observed.

- Heh. Trees are bringing the news to him. Don’t be scared though, he helped us in the past.

Barbarian wasn’t sure how to feel about it, but there wasn't any other choice for him. If Forest Guardian knew anything that could help them against demon magic, it was worth a try.

Soon they got out of the forest, into a giant clearing, with a tree in the middle of it. It was a giant and thick oak, with blue leaves. Size of it was comparable to some of the smaller castles. They left their horses behind and moved forward on their own.

As they were getting closer, the trees from surrounding forest started to move faster, making a strong wind moving in random direction across the clearing. At some point, the giant tree dropped hundreds of small blue leaves, that started to surround travelers. Exoriss raised his hand to stop others from walking further.

Leaves started to rustle, making a noise that sounded like whispering voice.

- Exoriss, Sythaeryn, Avenlight. Hello friends. And who is this human?

- His name is Mernion, we need your help - answered Exoriss.

- Ohh of course you do. After all, this young boy is affected by demon magic.

- So uhh… Can you help us? - asked elf, not really knowing what to say.

- I need to take a closer look.

A group of leaves moved to Mernion’s face, isolating him from rest of the world. A silent whisper, hearable only by him, started coming from them.

- I heard of you. You are the one who will have part of Ifar’s power.

- What do you mean? - he answered silently - The archdemon said something, but…

- What did he say? How much do you know about your destiny?

- He talked of the power I’m supposed to get and that he needs it. Something about ending Ifar’s time, bringing back the order.

- You know so little.

- Then tell me, what is it about?

- Your purpose is bigger than you can possibly imagine. One day you will get the power that will be able to change the fate of this world, but tell me… Will you be able to use it to do right thing?

- You mean… Kill the demon?

- Indeed, that’s what I mean. Can you do that, can you kill him?

- I killed many of creatures. I killed minotaurs and monsters.

- Let me guess, in anger? Every time you got attacked first, or you were simply defending your life. The demon needs you. He will try to get your trust. He might even seem to have a point in his actions!

- He ordered to kill me! - yelled Mernion - He is evil and I’m gonna kill him if that’s what Ifar wants from me!

- Mhm… I can see you have a strong and good heart. But it’s also soft…

Young barbarian felt confused. Forest Guardian was supposed to help him, but instead of it, he only made Mernion feel like miserable person with a big responsibility. A responsibility he never asked for.

- Will you help me then? - he asked - Will you take this spell off me?

- I cannot do that. His magic is bound to you. It will only stop when you leave this world.

- What can you do then? Don’t tell me we just wasted time by coming here.

Mernion was sure he heard a soft “rude” in the rustle of leaves, but aside from it he didn’t get any answer for a longer time.

- I will make sure you get to the archdemon - finally answer was heard - And I will put a protective rune on you. It will stop some of demonic magic. He will still be able to affect your mind thought.

- I heard I can be trained against it. Can you help me with that?

- I can’t affect human mind. Now, get ready...

One of the long and narrow leaves landed on Mernion’s face, right next to demonic dark symbol with red circle over it. After a second, leaf started to get through his skin, making him hiss in pain. Soon after that, he started feeling a wave of burning in that place. Young barbarian couldn’t stand straight and had to kneel. He touched his face, wanting to get that leaf away from him, but it was too late. It was already deep under his skin.

Soon the feeling of pain and burn stopped. Leaves that surrounded Mernion moved back to the rest, revealing him to elves. Exoriss quickly helped him to stand up.

- Are you okay? What’s happening?

- It’s alright - said Mernion, then he moved some of his hairs from his face. A dark blue leaf was partially visible under his skin.

- At least this one looks better - laughed Sythaeryn.

- It’s protective symbol - voice from leaves spoke again - It won’t help him against everything though. His mind is still vulnerable.

- Thank you - answered Exoriss - Is there anything else we can do?

- Rest is up to the boy. However, I want to move from this place.

- You want to… Come with one of us?

- Yes. I need to make sure you will make it. My power will come useful.

Elves were a bit confused. In their culture it was a big honor to get in union with Forest Guardian. Usually it was reserved for oldest members of society. Reason for that was safety, as these elves were getting access to a great power. On other hand the idea of sharing control over your life, wasn’t really appealing to younger people.

- So… Who will have this honor? - asked Exoriss.

- Sythaeryn - answered Forest Guardian.

- No, no, no - disagreed young white-haired elf - I don’t think it’s a good idea. I like myself… This way…

- Worried about not having enough control over you? I don’t plan to bother you. Just… watch and help when necessary. What about you, Avenlight?

- I will be honored - said tall elf.

He didn’t get any answer. Instead, the leaves that surrounded them started to come together in one place, forming a ball of energy. When all of them gathered, energy moved to Avenlight, then surrounded his entire body. He started to float above the ground.

As the energy was transferred to his body, a giant tree above them started to change colour of its leaves, turning from blue into natural green. Forest Guardian left his home.

After a minute of process, Avenlight got back on his legs and the shiny energy wasn’t visible anymore. His skin was slightly blue. As he opened his eyes, they shined with blue energy. He moved his head around, then looked over his hands and body.

- Feels good - he said with calm voice. Then he closed the eyes. When he opened them, they were back to their normal, brown colour.

Mernion looked confused over entire situation. He wanted to ask some questions regarding this body union between Avenlight and the Forest Guardian, but he decided to ask Exoriss later on, without them being around.

- Hmm, are we good to go then? - asked Exoriss - It’s still early and we can get at least back to the road. Mernion, Avenlight?

- I’m good - said Mernion.

Avenlight answered with agreeing murmur.

- Glad you didn’t change much - said Sythaeryn, patting him in the arm.

Travelers went back to their horses and left the giant oak tree behind.

* * *

In the western part of jungle, a group of five giant humanoid lizard was scouting the land. Suddenly, from the bush about fifty meters away from them, a spear appeared. A sound of cutting air made them turn to their left, but before they realised what was happening, weapon struck one of them in his arm, going through his body and pinning him to the ground.

- Charge! - yelled the man that jumped out of the bush. With two machetes in his hands, followed by around ten of his people, he ran to the beasts.

Three of the warriors threw their spears at farthest of the beast. Two of them ended on the ground, while last one got hit straight in its chest. Monster didn’t seem to be impressed by it. With two quick moves, he broke the spear and threw the parts away, then moved forward.

Meanwhile one of the beasts jumped right in front of the leader of the group and started to swing his giant hands with blades mounted on the wrists. Human quickly blocked one of them with his left machete, then cut through the chest of lizard with other one. Monster wasn’t waiting with fighting back, trying to hit him with other weapon. Warrior swiftly jumped to the side, evading the attack.

Beast turned after his enemy, but it got stabbed in the side by spears of two other warriors. Being surrounded from all sides, he didn’t stand a chance and soon he was dead.

Meanwhile another beast appeared next to the warrior with machetes. If he turned around a bit later, he would probably be dead, but thanks to his quick reflex, he managed to roll to the side of enemy. Then, with same quickness, he stood up and attacked the lizard. His machete went through the wrist of enemy, cutting it off.

Regardless the amount of blood that was getting out of the wound, monster was still trying to fight back, swinging his other weapon. Human kept on evading the attacks, being a bit shocked of how the beast was still standing on his legs.

After a while he decided to attack again. Without one of his weapons, monster couldn’t really defend himself. When it was dead, warrior joined rest of his men. Beast that got pinned in the beginning of their attack was still alive. Monster was trying to stand up, but handle of metallic spear was successfully holding him down.

Leader of the tribe put one of his legs on chest of the lizard. A pointy heel of his high boots stabbed beast’s body, causing it to bleed.

- I heard minotaurs are talking nowadays - started the man, while playing with one of his dreadlocks - What about you, can you talk?

Lizard looked at him with empty dark eyes, without making a move.

- Well - man looked down at the blood that was spilling on his enemy body - You most definitely can bleed.

He raised his leg again, then hit in the same spot. A crack of breaking bones was heard, making some of his companion flinch. Blood covered white pants of the warrior. Everybody around imagined how painful it must have been, but the beast didn’t make a sound or move.

- Interesting. You don’t feel a pain, do you?

Man proceeded to hit the enemy two more times, turning the body into pile of flesh and broken bones.

- Very interesting indeed.

He turned around to his people, leaving the beast to bleed out. His chest and face were dirty from the blood.

- So, warriors. What did you learn from this fight? - he asked.

His companions stood in silence for a moment, thinking about the answer. Finally one of them decided to speak up.

- That… They don’t feel the pain?

- Umm… Yes, but that’s not the most important…

- Then… They are good with their blades?..

- No, something more generic.

One of warriors went two steps ahead from the group. With smart look on his face he started giving the answer.

- They are strong enemies that can’t be killed easily. We can’t just charge at them alone, we need to…

- No! No! Be more positive! - leader shook his head - They can die. That’s what you learned today!

Soldiers didn’t react to it. They just kept looking at their leader.

- I’m surprised you people can survive here with this attitude - he laughed - I guess that’s why you need me as a leader.

He took out one of his machetes then turned around to dead lizard’s body. He cut off the head of the beast and holding it up in air, he presented it to his men.

- Take the heads of other four. I want to show everybody on this island that we can fight them! Months of hiding in fear are over!

Few of soldier moved to other bodies, while one of the rest came closer to ask a question.

- I’m sorry, but… What’s the plan for future? I mean, over months the reports about beasts were getting more frequent. I assume they are getting numbers.

- Screw the numbers! But, it’s a good question! - he thought for a while - Far as I know they came from eastern part of the island. That’s where we will go! But first, we will walk around and gather people. It’s been a week and I’m sure every good man has prepared already…

* * *

Mernion couldn’t sleep. Thoughts of what the Forest Guardian said to him were bothering his mind. He was supposed to get a great power and great responsibility, but he didn’t know anything about it, aside from what demon and Guardian told him. It was all so vague, that he barely could believe it. In every story he heard from his father, there were prophecies or signs about the chosen hero. But in his case there was nothing, so it made him doubt it.

On the other hand, what Forest Guardian said to him was matching words of demon. They both were stronger beings than Mernion. They knew and understood more than him. Maybe he really was chosen by the Ifar. But in that case, can he trust anybody?

His contemplating session got interrupted by Exoriss, who was walking around their little camp.

- You don’t sleep? - he asked, after seeing that barbarian’s eyes are open.

- Mhh no…

- Let me guess, you are confused about what is happening around you?

- Yes - he nodded - More than before.

- So… Mind to tell me what you were told?

Mernion raised up, sitting and making space for elf to sit next to him.

- I was told that I have bigger purpose. That I will get a power that will change the fate of this world. I suppose it’s about the demon.

- Well, his presence is nothing good for this world. Especially in current state of it.

- In Kaghduhn demon told me that he needs my power to bring back the order. He wants to end Ifar’s time. What could that mean, was there someone before Ifar?

- As far as I know Ifar was first. He might be trying to trick you. He might be just afraid of your power.

- Power… - Mernion looked away for a moment - I don’t even know what power is that. Do I have it already or will I get it later. And why me, out of all of people. I am nowhere close to heroes from the legends.

- Legends. What’s your favourite legend?

- Hmm, Bolmak’s legend.

- Ah yes. Boy from the village, one day he learns about prophecy and moves out to kill the evil lord.

- Well… As a child I wanted to be like him. Now… I regret that wish.

- Hmm… Bolmak’s life was easier. Ifar visited him and gave him a great power. Then the people followed him into the war.

- Many died for him… I don’t want anybody to die for me.

- You see, the way these legends are told doesn’t show entire truth - Exoriss smiled - People didn’t follow because of him being chosen by Ifar. They followed because they wanted their cruel lord impaled in front of his castle.

- That’s… Not how it ended.

- Uh… Legends have real background. In this case, there was no Bolmak. But there were people who followed the same idea.

- Oh so… He never existed and it’s just… I see...

- That’s the real world, and you don’t have to worry about it. We are all fighting for ourselves.

- So I can’t hope for someone to explain me this… Power… Or at least tell me if it’s truth…

- You will know in time if it really is. I don’t think Forest Guardian would lie to you though.

To Mernion that opinion seemed obvious. Exoriss was one of the elves that spoke high of the Forest Guardians. It would be hard for him to doubt in their good intentions.

- Can you tell me more about this… Thing he has with Avenlight? - he asked.

- Oh, you mean the union? Well… - elf scratched his chin - It’s bit complicated concept. Forest Guardians can’t travel around on their own. They are controlling the trees, affecting them with their magic. They are the reason why Jafnore trees are far different from what you see on the land.

- So, these beautiful trees we passed by, are they effect of his presence?

- Yes, indeed they are. Now, you probably imagine that their power in that form is limited to a place they live in. That’s their reason for sharing their power with us. Our mortal bodies, while their limit their strength and put them in the danger of death, allow them to move around the world.

- Danger of death. So that’s why it’s the honor for you?

- Yes, if a strong being like Forest Guardians trust you that much, it is an honor. Of course there is also a power that we can use while being in that union.

- But… How does it work? Who is in the control of the body?

- Well, they both are. Sometimes one has more of control than the other, but in the end they both affect the decision that is made.

- Hmm, no wonder Sythaeryn didn’t like it.

- He fears of losing control. You know, usually older and stronger elves are picked for this. It’s a sort of unwritten rule, but in this case there wasn’t much of choice.

- Why didn’t he pick you?

- I… - started Exoriss, just to remain silent for few seconds - I don’t know. He had his reasons. I don’t question it.

- Sorry if it… Offended you.

- No, it’s alright - he said, while standing up - Well, you better get some sleep before…

Suddenly elf stopped. In the bushes behind them, he noticed two pairs of shining eyes. One pair was blue while other one was red. Exoriss slowly took one of his arrows and aimed in the direction of strangers. Mernion took his sword that was lying next to his bed and stood up.

- Who is this? Show yourself! - elf yelled loud enough to wake up other two companions.

- This is our land. Your kind should never come here - said stranger with red eyes. His voice was normal, like any human. He took out his sword, that instantly shined with red energy, then pointed it up. Flames came from both sides of the blade, slowly making circle of fire around the camp area. Meanwhile second enemy took his sword and hit the ground in front of him. A wave of ice appeared and started moving in direction of elf and Mernion. To avoid it, they jumped to the sides. Ice moved forward, directly into Avenlight and Sythaeryn, who were coming to help their companions.

White haired elf jumped ahead and swinged his blade, making tip of the icy wave shatter into pieces. Then he joined Exoriss on the left side of icy remainings. Avenlight decided to help Mernion.

Enemy with blue eyes attacked young barbarian. Now in the light of surrounding fires, reflected on the ice wall, he could clearly see the strange human. His skin was slightly blue like his eyes, his sword had strange runes in the same colour. Body was covered with blue cloth, with metal armor parts on his arms, hands and legs. His hair was dark and short.

He turned around his left wrist and ice spikes appeared around it, making a shield. Then he ran ahead to the barbarian, slashing his shiny blade. Mernion evaded the attack, then tried to hit him back, but got blocked by the shield. He jumped away, avoiding next attack of his enemy, then tried to quickly stab him. Tip of the blade hit in the middle of the shield, making a tiny hole in it.

From behind of him, Avenlight shot one of his black arrows. They had a blunt tip, that was supposed to stun enemy or, if aimed in good spot, make them drop their weapon. Arrow went right next to head of Mernion and hit enemy in the shoulder. Sword of human landed on the ground. Barbarian used the opportunity and kicked it away from them.

- Stupid - said the enemy, while talking a few steps back. He rotated his shield and the spikes started to split out and point forward, in the direction of Mernion. With a move of his other hand, he sent spikes to attack.

Barbarian managed to block first one with his blade, then jumped away. One of the spikes managed to hit him in the leg, making him fall on the ground. Avenlight took a few of his arrows and started to successfully shot down the approaching spikes. Meanwhile the enemy formed an ice wall in front of him and ran away.

- We should help them - said barbarian after he stood up again. Elf took one of his red arrows and aimed at the wall in the middle. Explosion shattered a big part of the ice, causing it to spread all around the area. Mernion and Avenlight went through the opening.

On the other side they saw Sythaeryn lying on the ground, while Exoriss was defending himself from fire by creating a shield of water. Everything around was burning.

Avenlight shot an arrow, that hit in the arm of enemy. For a moment he stopped casting his fire spell. Exoriss used the opportunity to hit him with a ball of electric energy. Enemy got sent into the air, landing five meters away.

Mernion quickly ran up to the human. He tried to finish him with his sword, but his attack got blocked. Enemy used his fire magic to quickly stand up, while pushing barbarian away. He then pointed at him with the tip of his sword. Small fire appeared and started forming into a bigger fireball. Mernion managed to hit the blade with his own sword, making fireball be shot somewhere in the air. At the same time, both Exoriss and Avenlight attacked enemy from both sides.

With an arrow going through his skull and burnt hand, enemy fell to the ground.

- The other one is gone. We should go before he is back - said Mernion - Is Sythaeryn alright?

- He got hit hard, but he will be fine - answered Exoriss - We should go indeed.

- Not so fast! - said the voice behind them. Mernion and two elves turned around, just to see other one of enemies, with another five man. They were wearing similar clothes in three colours - red, blue and green. Colours of clothes were matching eyes and shades of their skins.

Enemies pulled out weapons and barbarian with companions were ready to pick up Sythaeryn and start running away, but then they heard a movement in the forest on their left side.

From behind the flames, a bunch of wolves started to jump in and attack the enemies. At the start they could defend themself just fine, but soon a wave of feeling weak appeared in everybody’s heads.

Mernion felt to the ground. Last thing he remembered was seeing one of enemies being ripped apart by wolves and a dark tall figure appearing in the flames.

And then, he lost consciousness.



© 2019 Qbjik


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

30 Views
Added on March 3, 2019
Last Updated on March 3, 2019


Author

Qbjik
Qbjik

Poland



Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Qbjik


Chapter I Chapter I

A Chapter by Qbjik


Chapter II Chapter II

A Chapter by Qbjik