-Prologue- Draft One

-Prologue- Draft One

A Chapter by ~The Queen~
"

The future for our young heroine is decided by her cynical father and all seems lost.

"

 

-Prologue- Draft One
“Stop it Harpyr!” I cried out, my voice full of laughter as I ran around the table, upsetting my nurse maid Elly. He did this all the time, chase me around the palace even though we both knew it was ‘improper’ of us royal children. 
“I am not a child anymore Father! I am a man of 21. Far too old to be considered a child still.”
            Of course our father as stubborn as he is, had ignored my brother and insisted, well more like demanded and ordered, that he stay at the palace until his marriage to Princess Dana of Ankou, our neighbour to the south.
“Liryc, you’ve gotten faster I see,” Harpyr called out as he fainted left then darted right, throwing a plate to the floor, causing Elly to cry out in alarm.
“Your Highnesses! Please, stop! Your father will be here any-” I didn’t hear her finish so I turned to look at her, maybe even to invite her to join, but I didn’t see the old kind face I had come accustomed to. Instead I saw the face of my angry father. I followed the others, dropping to a low curtsy, my knee touching the hard stone floor as I had been taught. My father breezed by me and headed for my brother. I feared for him when the king was angry because he wasn’t known for his kindness and compassion towards his children.
I heard voices but could not make out what was being said. By the shock and stillness of the Crown Prince and the calm and forceful voice of my father, I could tell Harpyr had just been informed of something he didn’t enjoy. At all. The talking stopped and heard my brother leave and the king turn his ill temper towards me. Stopping in front of me, he bent to hook his fingers under my chin. Following his guidance, I stood and looked into the eyes of my mother’s killer, though I knew nothing of this fact until I was older.
“My daughter; my beautiful, young, disobedient daughter. Whatever shall I do with you?” he asked. I just stood there, clenching my fists, trying to remember the rules he had drilled to us as young children.
      1.     Don’t ever touch him or show affection towards his person when he was presenting himself as ‘The King’.

      2.        Don’t talk unless the question is directed to you and only you.

 I stopped there, the second rule the one I needed. I opened my mouth to answer but he cut me off, his voice impatient and cynical.
“Princess Liryc. I, the King of Ly Erg, have personally come to tell you that your hand has been requested in the matters of marriage by the second son of Emperor Pehts. I have already sent a messenger informing him that you have accepted the offer. The marriage will take place the day of your sixteenth birthday. That is all,” and he was gone. All I could do was stand there, staring after him, his presence having been gone a while.   
“Liryc, are you alright?” I heard Elly’s voice some where in the distance. I didn’t much care about her or anything else. My future having been decided for me, I didn’t think it mattered what happened from here on in.


© 2009 ~The Queen~


Author's Note

~The Queen~
Don't be too harsh ;)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

120 Views
Added on April 9, 2009


Author

~The Queen~
~The Queen~

Welland, Canada



About
Poems are the gateway to the heart and the soul. It's taken me far too long to realize this. Anything further just send a message or join my group and you'll find out. more..

Writing
Jane Dyer Jane Dyer

A Story by ~The Queen~