Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
The Shadow On My Shoulder
There is an angel who sits upon my shoulder who goes by the name of Death...
-Chapter One- Draft One

-Chapter One- Draft One

A Chapter by ~The Queen~
"

Her wedding date finally here, Liryc fears for her happniess, reminded only by Elly to stay strong for her mother.

"

 

Liryc
 
Chapter One
 
Butterflies. I used to think of them as beautiful creatures that came out to invite and temp you to run through the fields new lilacs and daisies bare foot and happy. Now, they were signs that my marriage to Aidan, the second son of Emperor Pehts, was here. I was, without question, my father’s pawn in this game called LIFE.
“Your Highness,” I turned to face the mirror. Hair as dark as the darkest mahogany fell around my shoulders and down my back in soft ringlets, small jewels sparkling when I moved. My gown of white was slim and form-fitting accentuating my delicate curves and what my brother called ‘boy stringers’. He was insistent that I was going to make Aidan fall in love with me, and that that would be the end of it. No more father, no more life of proper and improper ways of holding a spoon or smiling or the like. I would be able to live my life the way I wanted. I desperately hoped he was right and the feeling of uneasiness was just wedding jitters.
I looked down to my feet, shoes made of the same silk and gems looking back at me. I was gorgeous and I felt like I was walking to my prison in cuffs.
“Oh, Liryc, you’re absolutely…”
“…hating this moment and loving it at the same time? Yes I was just about to say that Elly. Thank you,” I said as I stepped down from the mirrors and went to stand by the window, my brow furrowed in thought. I heard Elly come up behind me, laying her hand on my shoulder lightly. It was a while before she made a sound
“I remember when they called upon me to nurse and care for you. I was nervous, thinking about the penalties I would get if I did anything wrong. Sure, I had nursed many babes before you, but none were of royal descent. But, I came. I came because your mother called me to,” she turned me around, her face creased from years of worry and love. Tears gleamed in her eyes, “your mother would not be happy if you made this day feel like a trap or a punishment. She wants you to be happy, love and to live.” Her tears fell from her eyes freely, without shame or regret. I put my head on her shoulder, allowing my grief for my mother flow forward. It was too short a time before a page came to get me for the ceremony. Kissing my cheek, Elly walked me to the door and fixed my veil in place; my face needed to be covered until the binding was complete.
“Be strong,” she whispered before I was wisped away. I followed the young boy through the halls that my father’s father’s father’s father had begun building over a hundred years ago. I watched as the eyes of the paintings followed my progress and I felt the stares of the help as I walked past them.
Finally I heard music, I heard laughter. My eyes lighting up to the sound of my favorite song, I swallowed my fear and remembered what Elly had said, be strong…your mother would have wanted you to be happy today.
The trumpeter on the balcony got the signal that I was approaching, and sounded the call, informing my guests that I was drawing near.
“Her royal Highness, Princess Liryc, daughter of His Majesty the King, Cyan of Ly Erg, son to the Mighty and Great King Cyan.” Such a long introduction, I thought, everyone should know who my grandfather and father were.
I curtsied, as custom called for, as father came up to lead me to the aisle. My brother waited graciously with his wife seated beside him, their son asleep in her arms. I smiled a proud smile and took my father’s arm.
The faces of the people, I didn’t recognize. I didn’t see the face of staunch Baroness Alana and her husband Baron Conor, or the laughter of kind Lady Micah or Lord Fallon. Instead I saw the faces of Lords and Lady’s, Marquis and Marquess’s that I didn’t know. My father seemed to sense my confusion because he leaned down to whisper in my ear.
“They are the court of Emperor Pehts. I didn’t think it would be wise to surround you with people you knew. I feared it would,” he paused, searching for the word, “distracted from your royal duties as the wife of an emperor’s son.” He kissed my cheek with his cold lips and then my brother took over.
“What did he tell you? You look like you’re about to kill the next person you see.” I laughed dryly.
“With any luck it’ll be the man that proposed this wicked ordeal. Please Harpyr, don’t ever leave me,” I pleaded, looking into his eyes. He nodded and kissed my cheek. I turned to see who the last person to take me down the aisle and saw no one. I stood still for a moment, my back rigid and I felt the sheen of sweat form on my shoulders. I took a step and then another and another after that. I continued down until I stood beside my future husband. He turned to me and bowed low as I curtsied again. Then we turned to the table before us.
Normally, there was a man or a woman who practiced these binding ceremonies, but my father had insisted it would look more sentimental and bonding if we carried the ceremony ourselves. He had been taught as I had. We had never met though, so going through the motions with someone other than my brother unnerved my further, telling me once again that this wasn’t just another day.
A nudge came from behind me as I snapped back to the present, and saw the man I would call consort hold out his hand. I took his hand and remembered the last step. My face burned with fire and I leaned in. His other hand came up under the veil and brushed my cheek gently before he lifted it and pressed his lips to mine. They were warm and welcoming. He pulled way before anything could happen. My eyes burned with tears as I took his arm and followed him down the aisle.
Walking to the meal hall, his fingers were brushing the back of my hand tenderly, but his face looked full of business and duty. Was he feeling something that I could not return?
Another call was to announce us, for the first time, as man and wife.
“Ladies and Gentlemen, Their Highnesses Prince Aidan and Princess Liryc.” A roar of applause assaulted my ears and I saw my brother grinning from ear to ear, his eye full to the brim with happy tears. My husband turned to me,
            “Your Highness, may I escort you to our dinner?” I froze. I knew I should say yes, but part of me wanted nothing to with a marriage dinner other than to enjoy the look of happiness on the couple’s faces. I nodded quickly and walked through the throngs of people. Now I recognized some faces. Elly was standing next to my chair grinning. Was I the only unhappy one here? Then I looked to Aidan, his eyes distant and uninterested. No, no I am not. He didn’t want this anymore then I did.
Coming up to the table, I sat down and let the night past before me. People came up to the table congratulating Aidan and me, and I thanked them in return. I didn’t dance that night, and I was thankful that Aidan hadn’t even glanced at me the whole night.
Already it was time for us to retire. This was the moment I had been dreading since the day Elly had told me what a marriage was.
 
“You will be lead to your own part of the palace, mostly likely a new one will be built to be named for your husband. It’ll be like a parade of sorts my dear, and then you’ll get to your bedroom.”
“Where will my husband be Elly?”
“Oh he’ll have his own entrance to the room, like you will. You’ll go in and then he’ll be lead in. You’ll both turn down the covers and change into your sleeping clothes without a stitch of cloth to hide yourself from him and then you’ll hop into bed together. All this while everyone from the bridal party, your father, his father and mother, Harpyr and a few esteemed guests.”
“Oh Elly!” I had cried, “Must I?”
She only nodded.
“You must my dear. But that day is too far away to be talking about it. With luck, your father might change his mind.”
 
But he hadn’t. In fact, one night he had talked to me about it.
 
“Liryc, my girl. What do you think of your marriage to Prince Aidan?”
I had thought about my answer for a while and thought that it was now or never to tell him.
“I think that I’m to young, father, to be put through the embarrassment of a bedding ceremony. Why can’t we just retire like you and mother used to?”
 
My eye had been bruised for the next two weeks after I mentioned mother, and I never heard him speak to me again until I turned fifteen.
 
Now, I followed the train of people leading me to the wing used for bedding. Elly had been wrong. There was no new wing built in honor of my husband, just a dusty old that hadn’t been used since father got married; Harpyr having to be married in Ankou because of the older King’s wishes. I saw the face of my sister in law and her son, in the arms of a maid behind her, and I smiled. I hope I find the love Harpyr has found.
“You may enter, Your Highness,” a man called out. I stepped through the doorway and saw my husband standing beside the bed. I nodded at him but I got no answer. Steeling my features, I walked over and turned the bedding down. I turned away from Aidan to start undressing when I saw the many faces of the on lookers. I blushed with embarrassment and faced him again. He was down to his breeches. Intimidated, I hurriedly unlaced my dress and slipped my shoes off. I reached for a nightgown, and found nothing but a handful of air. I choked a cry back and slipped out of my garment. Standing naked for the room to see. I looked at Aidan, as bare as I and together we climbed into the enormous bed.
A man came through the masses and blessed the bed before everyone started to file out. Only our families stayed behind. I was confused for a moment until I felt Aidan’s fingers intertwine with mine, stroking my thumb, telling me it’s alright. I’m nervous too. I smiled and turned over on my side. I was startled when Aidan followed me and cuddled close to me, pinning me to his front. I looked over my shoulder and saw his baby blues staring back at me. I heaved a long needed breath and drifted off to sleep, while little Aidan’s pranced through my mind all night and the feel of his arm never leaving my stomach.


© 2009 ~The Queen~


Author's Note

~The Queen~
Please tell me what yo think about it. Need all the help I can get :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Very interesting story I must say. Alot of suspense building and wonderful descriptions. I look forward to reading more. You have a wonderful way with words. I can see the setting and the characters almost as clearly as the people around me everyday. I must say I do not care very much for the girls father. What a jerk! Anyways wonderful writing keep up the good work my friend!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Very interesting story I must say. Alot of suspense building and wonderful descriptions. I look forward to reading more. You have a wonderful way with words. I can see the setting and the characters almost as clearly as the people around me everyday. I must say I do not care very much for the girls father. What a jerk! Anyways wonderful writing keep up the good work my friend!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This story is amazing!
Can't wait to read more:)

- Neo

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

110 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on April 9, 2009
Last Updated on April 9, 2009


Author

~The Queen~
~The Queen~

Welland, Canada



About
Poems are the gateway to the heart and the soul. It's taken me far too long to realize this. Anything further just send a message or join my group and you'll find out. more..

Writing
Jane Dyer Jane Dyer

A Story by ~The Queen~



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..