Hidden between the shadows

Hidden between the shadows

A Chapter by Ria Carol
"

Have you ever felt like you have reached a point in your life where you end up wondering how on earth did I get here?..read on to find out..

"
And just like that he vanished...like a storm that came and destroyed and died down.
Will I ever see him again?..is a question unanswered. Maybe this was it, maybe he came to teach me this lesson and that is the only reason that he held on this long. Like a compelling force trying to mould me and strengthen me...to make me become better than who I was.
All I know for sure is that he changed me...now and forever.
My dear phoenix.

And this was lesson number1: you can either live your dreams or live your fears.

It all started on that summer morning, when the sun had just kissed the horizon..and the breeze had just started to sing. Being a nightingale meant that I had to disappear before dawn broke. I had always felt that it was unfair that I had to take refuge in the dark skies filled with stars where nothing was ever clear, where even your shadows felt afraid and seemed to perished .... where I had to hide between the shadows and see the beauty of the sun from the incessant veils of darkness, while all the other creatures got to spread their wings and fly with the morning colours as their backdrop.
How much longer did I have to keep hoping and wishing that I would get the chance to shine under the bright blue sky? How many centuries did I have to wait more to be finally free?

A friend of mine once told me that god works in magical ways...and that I was here on this planet to understand something...at that time I wondered "what was there to understand?"
It was simple I have to stay in the darkness and reign here and the others got to reign under the light.
It was simple.
It was an easy concept to discern.
But at the back of my mind I wondered ..."was that all?"
Little did I know, that I was going to finally learn what I 'apparently' came here to learn.
Through him...my phoenix.
Mine for how long... I didn't contemplate....or it was more like I couldn't. However what I didn't realise is that in order for one to succeed ...one also needs to lose...
And what I lost in the battle between finding out whether I belonged, in the comfort of the dark or the glory of the light was something that I could never replace.
Not today ...not tomorrow...or for eternities to come...

Then was this truly a battle that was worth fighting for? Was the sacrifice that I  made worth the victory? Was the joy more fruitful than the pain?...I don't know.

This is who people see me as...RULER OF THE DARK...THE QUEEN OF NIGHTINGALES...IMMORTAL.
But who am I?


© 2016 Ria Carol


Author's Note

Ria Carol
I know this is a very short chapter..I'm just starting out....so please excuse me...I hope you like it though...

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is masterfully done. The elements are all there. The interpretation is not directly given and it is up to the reader to decide what it means to them. To me, the nightingale is one who is depressed; or depression itself. The nightingale made a huge discovery through the phoenix; which, to me, is the one who lifted them out of a depression, or a light in the dark in the nightingale's life, a way out of depression. The nightingale contemplates the other creatures that fly in the light with the sun to their back; as the nightingale waits till dark to take its flight. Contemplating the other creatures, and itself; the nightingale begins its journey to discovering it is more than a nightingale, who merely lies in the dark. Beginning the journey to understanding itself. However, this is only my interpretation. Thank you for sharing this, Ria. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Ria Carol

8 Years Ago

Thank you its a beautiful interpretation that you have taken... :)
Ria Carol

8 Years Ago

I have made a mental list of all the possible ways the story would apply...and your view is spot on... read more
I am that I am

8 Years Ago

It's very well written. Reminds me of a parable or something similar.
wow.....that is beautiful! the beginning really got me into my feelings. Great job!!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ria Carol

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much...im really glad that you like it...the beginning is inspired from a very similar .. read more
Hannah Grace

8 Years Ago

well i loved it . i'm gonna add it to my favorites
Ria Carol

8 Years Ago

im glad... Thank you so much :)
That is okay, but good from the point of view that you are a beginner. Honestly, I like the theme, but I found your tone a bit rough- not that I didn't like it. You have got a flair for writing- lots of potential, believe me. You can write better, just keep writing and read other novelists.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Ria Carol

8 Years Ago

Thank you for the review...i definitely will continue writing and reading others works... :)
I actually like shorter chapters and a chapter only has to be as long as you feel it should be told, in my humble opinion :) I enjoyed this and look forward to more Ria...the detail is articulated and intriguing :)

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ria Carol

8 Years Ago

Thank you...so much...i have been waiting to get some insights in this work...
Details, details and details this is what makes a story acceptable and enjoyable to the reader and I can gladly say that you did a brilliant job to make the reader happy.... From the very start you have used brief description about the setting of the story and the characters... It was short and I believe it's a very good way to keep the reader interested, you kept it to the point and well balanced... It reads smoothly and I really enjoyed how you told the story.... Story telling style of an author is a big part of the success of a story or novel...

Note : give another read to this chapter and I'm sure you will find some full stops missing and some minor typing errors.... So far I have enjoyed the concept of the story and I will be reading the next parts of the story tonight....

Sincerely
Dhiman

Posted 8 Years Ago


Ria Carol

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much...i can't tell you how much i appreciate your review...i will definitely correct a.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

316 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on April 16, 2016
Last Updated on April 22, 2016
Tags: please excuse all the mistakes


Author

Ria Carol
Ria Carol

Bangalore, India



About
I know Im a lot of work in progress bear with me :) more..

Writing
Oblivion Oblivion

A Story by Ria Carol


Untouched Untouched

A Poem by Ria Carol


Blind Girl Blind Girl

A Poem by Ria Carol



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


W.A.R W.A.R

A Story by Usman Muhammad


Freedom Freedom

A Chapter by Matching Socks


The Needle The Needle

A Story by Jasmine