Chapter Ten: Conversations

Chapter Ten: Conversations

A Chapter by Rachel_Biggs

Chapter Ten: Conversations

So, maybe I still hoped that John could live. I used all my powers of convincing to allow him to stay a few nights. I pleaded, begged, whined and prayed. Eventually Jack agreed that he could stay for a bit. The next day I led John into the garden under the pretense of showing off the flowerbeds. I can give the actual dialogue of my conversations with him, as no one else heard them.

But then again, what do you say to someone who upon first sight captured your heart?

“You need to leave here.” I told him.

“But why? It seems so perfect here.”

“And so do these roses, don’t they? I dare you to pick one barehanded though.”

His eyebrows drew together, showing confusion. I walked away as Emma left the house and walked toward us. I pretended to be telling him the names of roses and to be showing him how to care for them. Emma crossed to the opposite side of the garden.

“What did you mean by that?”

“I meant it when I said you need to leave. I need to as well. It’s not safe here.”

“Why isn’t it safe for us here?”

“I can’t say. Just please don’t eat anything that Emma serves you. Always wait for me to serve you.”

“Why should I trust you?”

I advanced towards him, getting into his personal space. I locked eyes with him and waited. The rush came again. I tilted my head.

“You feel it too, don’t you?” I asked.

“That tether between us? Yes, I do.”

He bent his head towards mine and leaned in, bridging the gap between our lips. It was like an explosion of stars. I had to break the kiss before we were seen.

As much as I hated to, I turned away from the kiss. John plucked a rose bud from the stem nearest us and tucked it behind my ear. His touch made my skin turn to fire and I felt a blush creep up my neck. Being around him was a respite from daily life.

I had to get at least him out of this situation. I couldn’t let him be killed. I served him every meal, making sure Emma stayed away from the food. I walked with him in the garden at least once per day. We talked of life, death and the need for escape.

“Jack and Emma are evil.” I finally admitted that to him.

“How so?”

“I can’t tell you, except that not everything is pretty underneath.”

Soon the talk turned to lighter subjects, such as our growing love. It was a shy, but romantic kind of love. I would find a rose on my pillow, or he would help Emma and I with the laundry. He was good at helping Jack too. However I could tell that we were getting low on money again, as Jack was antsy. I couldn’t hold him off for much longer.



© 2013 Rachel_Biggs


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

181 Views
Added on July 27, 2013
Last Updated on July 27, 2013


Author

Rachel_Biggs
Rachel_Biggs

Fairfield, IA



Writing
Pale Red Pale Red

A Story by Rachel_Biggs