Chapter Eleven: Lifelines

Chapter Eleven: Lifelines

A Chapter by Rachel_Biggs

Chapter Eleven: Lifelines

John had been there almost a week when Jack called a “family” meeting. The subject was finances. He said we had to let John  go, as he was straining our budget. Before, I had been content to sit silently during these meetings. This time however, I had to voice my opinion. I suggested that we leave John with us, and take in more travelers. Perhaps we could charge John rent or the like.

Jack agreed that we could try charging rent if John really wanted to stay with us.The thrill of a small victory surged through my nerves. I couldn’t wait to tell John.

The next day in the garden, his reaction was not as enthusiastic as mine.

“They are going to start charging you rent, so you can stay as long as you like. I have some money squirreled away for when yours runs out.” That part about the money wasn’t exactly true, but I knew where Jack and Emma stashed the emergency money.

“Rent?! Oh alright, so long as it means staying close to you.” His sentence was punctuated with a dazzling smile and a quick kiss. I captured his hand in mine for an instant and grasped it like a lifeline. I released it, leaving a tingling sensation on my fingertips.

“You are beautiful, Miss Minerva.”

I turned, cheeks flaming in embarrassment. I still hadn’t told him my real name, for safety’s sake. I walked back towards the house, bringing that conversation to a close.

Hours later, John asked to see me in the garden again. The sunset layered the sky in brilliant colors. There was a slight pause and John turned me to face him.

“When can we tell your parents about us?”

My heart stilled to a near flatline. I was horrified at the prospect of revealing our romance to Jack and Emma. They would doubtlessly kill us both. I tried to turn away, but his hand gripped my face too tightly.

“You want an answer John? Never. Never ever!”

“Why not? They seem as in love as we are.”

“Don’t ever compare us to them!” I could feel my face turning an unattractive shade. “We are nothing like them. Not one bit. They have done horrible things for love. Our love is good and sweet and pure!”

“You are right. Our love is beautiful, and don’t you forget it sweetheart.” With that, he leaned over in the darkness and found my lips with his. That kiss was an affirmation. Without words, we irrevocably tied our souls together.

On the walk back to the house we stumbled together in the low light, laughing and giddy. Our hands were clasped tightly and before we reached the door, John pecked my cheek. We regretfully loosened our hands and stepped into the house of horrors that greeted us.

Jack was sitting at the kitchen table, drinking coffee from a mug. John stated loudly that I was right, the roses were more beautiful at night. With that, we headed to our respective rooms, sharing a farewell glance from across the hallway.

I hardly slept that night, I was so excited to be in love. I was giddy and happy even into the next day. Life in the house proceeded at an almost normal pace. No more flower beds were added, and no more travelers were plucked from the side of the road. Jack and Emma were in high spirits as well. They would playfully tease one another and blatantly flirt at dinner. Reality became beautiful once more, and life was full of promise.

Peace and harmony reigned over the house. For weeks it was quiet. John and I walked in the garden, Jack and Emma flirted openly. Love was so abundant in the air that one could likely choke to death on it. It was like Valentine’s day, every day.

Until the day John forgot to pay rent.



© 2013 Rachel_Biggs


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

152 Views
Added on July 28, 2013
Last Updated on July 28, 2013


Author

Rachel_Biggs
Rachel_Biggs

Fairfield, IA



Writing
Pale Red Pale Red

A Story by Rachel_Biggs