Chapter 4

Chapter 4

A Chapter by Raelyn

Alex drove home rather slowly, wanting to savor his conversation with Raelyn. She definitely seemed to be rather interesting. Her eyes particularly caught his attention. There was so much hidden in them. From pain and sorrow to happiness and laughter. “I wonder what her story is” was all Alex could think on the drive home.

Maybe Uncle Paul would be able to give him some insight without breaking a confidence was what he thought. There was so much to learn about this sleepy little town. Plus how in the world did she come to have that ring? She’s not like us so why does she have it? It made no sense to Alex. This was yet another question he had to add to the growing list for his uncle. Ten more minutes of driving and he was home.


The Montgomery house is set off in the woods. A nice peaceful drive down a well driven dirt road, past the green canopy of the forest trees that opened up to show you the most gorgeous home you have ever had the honor of living in. The house is a pearl white and it is an old Victorian style home, complete with a wrap around porch and windows every where. Lilly Montgomery’s famous rose garden had every color rose imaginable in it, and it wrapped half way around the house. There's an Olympic size pool around back, complete with the biggest jacuzzi I have ever seen. Both the pool and jacuzzi have huge waterfalls flowing into each end of them. Around the pool area there are a few small flower bushes, nothing too fancy.


As Alex made his way into the house he checked the garage, His Uncle Paul’s cruiser was already gone, which meant he was gone for the day. Going into the house Alex removed his shoes at the door, as per the routine. He headed up stairs to his room to put his work bag away before heading back down to the kitchen to make some breakfast. Hailey, his blonde haired green eyed goddess-looking cousin, would be waking up soon and they normally ate breakfast together. Since he moved in Hailey and Alex have discussed everything. She had been really interested in his opinion of Raelyn; part of Alex thought that she was hoping that he'd meet a good female while living here.


Just as Alex started breakfast in walked Hailey. Still in her white tank top and fuzzy pajama pants.


Good morning Alex. How was work? Find out any new information?” She asked sleepily.


Morning squirt. Work was good. Raelyn and I are starting to develop a routine I think. I found out a bit, but nothing major. I know you must know some information. You are just about her age.”


First of all, I am too big for you to still be calling squirt! Secondly I know a little bit but I doubt it will help. After breakfast we will go sit out by the pool and I will tell you what I know of Raelyn.”


Just as we finished cooking breakfast and dishing it up the phone rang. Alex walked over to answer the phone, knowing almost immediately that he did not want to answer it.


Hello.” Alex said


Alexander? It’s Dr. Davidson; we need you back at the hospital as soon as possible. There has been a major accident and some of the injured are our own.”


Do we know who they are yet? Are there any fatalities?” he asked quickly as he ran up the stairs to grab his things. He was still in his scrubs so he did not have to change just needed to grab his bag.


Well I only know of two for sure. Raelyn and Francine. Not fatalities so far, but please hurry.” Davidson said and hung up the phone.


Hailey…” he started


It’s something bad at the hospital; I know I saw an accident in my head as you picked up the phone. Is she okay?” Hailey cut him off to say.


I hate how you have the ability to see things just as or after they happen. You know there are days I envy the ability. I do not know if she is okay, I just know that as of right now it was not fatal. Sorry to bail on you, rain check for later?” he said hastily as he headed back to the garage.


Yeah well I hate the fact that you can not only do magic, but you can also look into someone’s eyes and know immediately how they are feeling, so much so that it’s almost as if it is your own feelings. No worries. Go take care of the girls. I will see you later. Call my cell when you are on your way home and I will meet you here. Then we will continue our conversation.” Hailey said as she stood on her tip toes to kiss his cheek. “Love you Alex, please drive carefully, I know you are in a hurry just be safe.”


And with that he was out the door and on his black Honda Interceptor sliding on his black helmet and leather coat as he started the bike and backed out of the garage. His bike was brand new; he bought it just after he arrived in Seatide. It has so far been the only thing that he had spent money on for himself that was not needed. And man does he love that bike. With that thought in mind, he pulled the throttle back and raced to Oceanview hoping to get there before the ambulance did that was carrying Raelyn.


He made it to the hospital within five minutes of the ambulances arriving. Waiting in the bay were Dr. Davidson, Jessie, Dani, Krystal, and another nurse Alex hadn't met yet. He threw his belongings into the nurses’ station and ran to join Dr. Davidson. The look upon Alex's face must have been horrific because Dani and Dr. Davidson both put their hands onto his shoulders. It was Dani’s soft voice that broke through my thoughts just then.


Alex, she is going to be okay. She’s coherent but definitely injured. Fran is banged up but okay. The medics that have Raelyn and Fran know them well and have worked with us for four years now.” Dani tried to reassure him.


However all Alex could do at that moment was think the worst. There was so much to discuss and figure out. Let alone the fear running through him now. He doesn't normally allow people to get close to him other than Hailey and Uncle Paul. And just as his other hand touched the identical ring to the one Raelyn wore he started to see a vision of the scene, however he pushed it back because just then the ambulances arrived.


Dr. Davidson, Dani, and Alex grabbed Raelyn and the others grabbed Fran. It was a sobering scene. He had just left me at the coffee shop a little more than two hours ago and now I was covered in blood, and cuts, and bumps, which would surely turn into bruises by morning, laying on the gurney in front of him. I opened my eyes slightly and saw Alex there. I grabbed his hand as I whispered his name.


Raelyn, you are going to be okay. We will take care of you. Just lay still and let us do what we do best and help you.” Alex managed to get out before I passed back out from the pain.


Can someone please tell me what the hell happened?” Alex grumbled, which sounded more like a growl from an injured bear. This is how Hailey has always described Alex when he was upset, and he was definitely upset right now.


It looks like the other driver swerved into their lane just enough for the girls to turn the wheel enough to send their car rolling end over end and into the tree. The other driver did not stop and as far as we know has no injuries.” The EMT replied.

So no one saw the accident or got a plate number?” he questioned angrily.


No I’m sorry sir.” was the only response.


For the next twelve hours I was in and out of consciousness. Dr. Davidson and the girls were in and out, as was Fran. However Alex could not bear to leave my side. All that kept playing through his head was the scene of the accident. Hailey had called and given Alex the details of what she saw as the accident happened. As he closed his eyes he could see what I saw. He could clearly see the oncoming vehicle; however Alex could not see the license plate number. The car was dark green without any outstanding marks. He could see it swerve over into my lane. I was looking at the car like it was crazy, he could see the panic in my face and eyes, feel my fear as I pulled on the wheel to avoid the oncoming car. Yet there was nothing he could do except watch helplessly.


He did not move as the night went on. Finally at quarter to one in the morning I awoke for about an hour. At first I was dazed and confused until it hit me where I was.


Try to relax Rae” Fran whispered from the other side of the bed.


You are doing much better Raelyn. We are just keeping you over night to make sure every thing else is alright. You are pretty banged up, have a minor concussion, and you are going to be sore for quite some time. They do not know who caused the accident, but they are doing every thing possible to find the person.” Alex said softly. “I’m going to step out for a moment, I will be right back.”


With that he left the room giving Fran time to talk to me.


He has not left your side Rae.” Fran said “You would think he was a papa bear watching over a sick cub the way he has sat here. How do you feel?”


I hurt every where Frannie.” I whimpered. “Why is he here? And why has he not left my side? It’s not like we are that close.”


Whether you realize it or not Raelyn, that man is rather protective of you. And it is evident in the way he looks at you that there is more to his feelings than what is on the surface. Dr. Davidson, Dani, and him worked on you. I have never seen another nurse practioner give that much attention and special care to one patient. He refused to allow anyone to touch or move you unless absolutely necessary. Now stop worrying about why he was here and rest.”

 

Just as Fran finished her statement Alex came back in.


Fran, do you mind if I have a moment alone with Raelyn.” He asked quietly.



© 2010 Raelyn


Author's Note

Raelyn
*This is my first time writing for others to read, so please feel free to comment and/or critique. All feedback welcomed!*

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

146 Views
Added on February 1, 2010
Last Updated on February 9, 2010


Author

Raelyn
Raelyn

AZ



About
Im a 28 yr old single mom. I work at the local hospital in ICU. In my free time I am attempting to write my first ever novel. Tweet more..

Writing
Characters Page Characters Page

A Chapter by Raelyn


Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Raelyn


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Raelyn