Chapter 24

Chapter 24

A Chapter by Raelyn

Meanwhile I had had enough of just sitting there feeling helpless. So I jumped into a quick shower and packed a small bag. I decided that since I could not tell the men in my life what I had learned and I could not help my best friend let alone see her that I would go investigate Michael myself.

I had had enough games. Sadly the elf we saved had not even picked up what Michael was. I was not exactly sure myself, but I knew he was evil. I could see that much from his aura. I was in my mustang heading down the driveway when Zayne's voice popped into my head.

DaMartine!! Where the HELL are you going?”

It was not often that Zayne yelled at me, so I knew my decision had him upset. Good. That made two of us.

Do not yell at me Zayne. I am just going to investigate a hunch I have. Nothing to worry about, I'll be fine.”

The hell you will! It is not safe for you to go out investigating anymore than it is for me. Have you lost your mind?”

No Zayne I have not, however I cannot sit there in that house hearing Fran scream in pain for a reason I have no idea of and not be allowed to go into her room and be with her. This way at least I am being productive and not going insane. Besides I am positive that I will find nothing.”

At least tell me where it is you are going Raelyn.”

Zayne if I tell you you must promise that you are not going to go running back to Alex and Dimitri with the information.”

It'll stay between us, as long as you are not in any kind of trouble. That's the best I can promise you DaMartine.”

That is good enough. Everyone at the house has enough to worry about. While I was working with Michael this morning I caught a glimpse of his aura and something is not right. So while I know he is at the hospital I'm gonna go check out his household. Maybe I'll get some insight as to why I saw what I saw with his aura.”

Raelyn, please be careful. I have a bad feeling about this.”

I'll be okay Zayne. I'll let you know if anything happens and I need help.”

Meanwhile back at the house Paul was heading to his study. It had been a long two days without any rest, and there were more items needing his attention before he could rest. He walked into the study and closed the door.

Before he could even turn around he knew who was standing behind him. He had known they would be coming for him, after all he had given Dimitri all of his knowledge and in doing that he knew that his time as master would soon be over. They must have waited until now due to the fact that tonight was the silver lyte. He took a deep breath and turned around slowly.

There stood Solame, with hair to his shoulders and white as the sand on the beach and his square jaw set in that 'I mean business' frame; Degrace, in all his glory could be a greek god. His body sculpted as if taken right out of a body builder magazine, wavy burgundy hair to his mid-back and to die for grin; and Leath, the angel of death's little brother and as goth as they come. Black hair make-up and eyes, if you did not know him you would run in fear of him.. Paul knew these three well, best of them all Solame. They had spent many years together in the past searching for the book and researching various items. The fact that the Head Council Member had sent them was grave to say the least.

Paul Montgomery, you know why we are here?” Solame questioned

'Indeed I do Solame, my friend. And I know that I will not hold the three of you at fault for what must be done.”

The three of them nodded solemnly.

You knew the rules Paul and yet you broke them. Do you have an excuse for doing so?” Degrace asked softly.

I did break the rules this is true. My family and those that we love are in grave danger. The council is aware of what I speak of I am sure. Dimitri is the oldest other than myself in my house therefore I chose to give him what knowledge I had. Granted he is in-between the living and the dead, however I felt it best to pass to him what I knew because I knew I would not be here for the up and coming battle.”

That is the best excuse you have, Montgomery?” Leath spit out angrily.

Leath I am sorry my friend that this burden falls to Solame, Degrace, and you. I know that it brings you great sadness to have to be the ones to do this. Please understand my reasoning. I know that the council does not believe in defending humans. However the humans living in my house are hybrids and deserve our protection and our gratitude. I can say no more regarding them though.”

Then we must believe that you are ready?” Solame stated with heaviness.

I am. May I say goodbye?”

You may say goodbye to your family, however you may not tell them as to what is happening to you, just that you will not be returning. This Dimitri that you gave all your information to will know and it will fall to him to explain to the rest of your household.” Degrace regaled.

Then so be it. I will say goodbye to my family and meet you back here in a hour.” Paul said bowing slightly.

As Paul raised back up to a standing position he noticed they were gone. If this was to be his punishment at least it would be done among friends that he loved and trusted. A heavy sadness clung to him as he began opening the study door.

Father?” Dimitri whispered. It was not often Dimitri and Paul acknowledged that they were father and son, however this was a critical time and Dimitri could not avoid it.

Do not fear my child. I knew that this would happen. And to be quite honest I welcome it. I am tired Dimitri. It is time. I love you my son and know you will do fantastic in the days ahead. Please do not tell them until after I am gone. They cannot save me, and I know that they would try if given the chance. As it is I fear that there are more grave events ahead.”

As you wish father. So I will not see you again after this?” Dimitri choked out. As if he did not already have enough sorrow and heartache, now this too would be added to his weight to bear.

This is goodbye my son. We will meet in the afterlife I hope one day. Take care my boy. You have always been a son to me. I raised you to be a great man and I am so grateful to have had you in my life for so long. And I am so grateful to have had the pleasure of knowing your love Raelyn and being able to love and protect her in your absence. She has renewed our faith in love within this household and pride, along with Francine and Zayne, watch over them and keep them safe. Goodbye son.”

With that the conversation was done. Paul closed all forms of communication with Dimitri then. It was almost unbearable to hear the tears and heartbreak in his voice. Now it was time to gather the others.

Alex, Hailey, Francine, Raelyn, and Micah” Paul shouted out.

He watched as one by one they came down. Micah carried Fran. Paul noticed that Raelyn was not with the others.

Where is Raelyn?”

She was here for the longest time, I think she couldn't handle anymore and went back to work at the hospital, where she would be of some assistance. I'll call the hospital if you would like?” Hailey suggested.

No that is quite alright. I'll leave a letter for you to give her. You must not read it however Hailey. It is for Raelyn and Raelyn alone, is that clear?”

Sure Uncle, what is going on?” Hailey's voice crackled.

It is with great sadness that I must say goodbye. I cannot disclose where it is I am going. I can tell you all that I will not be returning. It is with a heavy heart that I bid you all farewell. It has been a honor being a part of each of your lives and it will be something I hold dear to my heart for all of eternity.” Paul announced, his voice starting to crack toward the end.

Alex, Hailey, and Micah stood speechless. It was Fran who spoke up and voiced her opinion.. That was definitely something he would miss. Fran was wonderful at debating issues she felt so strongly about. And this was certainly going to be one of those issues.

What in Heaven's name do you mean you are saying goodbye and cannot disclose where you are going? We’re your damn family!! Since when can you not tell us what's going on? You're just gonna up and abandon us with all this dangerous s**t happening, leave us alone?”

Micah wrapped his arms around Fran then trying to soothe her and ease her tears. It wasn't that Fran was angry, she was hurt and upset that Paul would even think of leave all of them at a time like this.

Francine, please do not make this any harder.” Paul said taking Micah's place. It gave him a measure of peace to know that he was leaving a defender as part of his household. No vampire pide in all of their history had ever had such an illustrious warrior count themselves among their number before. It gave Paul hope that the legacy of Valhalla Pride would survive.

In such a short time you and Raelyn have become part of my family. I think of you both as my daughters. If there was a way I could stay I would. If I could tell you where it is I am going I would in a heartbeat. It pains me gravely to leave all of you here alone, yet at the same time I am blessed to know you have each other to lean on in your time of need.”

As he looked around the room everyone in front of him had either saltwater tears or blood tears streaming down their faces. It was so hard to tell each of them goodbye. Paul took a deep breath then went to each person individually and hugged them. He made sure to tell each of them something special and for just themselves.

Then he took a ragged breath and looked at them all huddled together one last time. He turned and walked out of the room. The weight of their stares were just too much to take. He turned and walked back to his study to begin getting ready. He closed the study door behind him and leaned against it. Allowing himself a few moments to grieve what a great loss he was about to have. He looked up and through the blood tears saw Solame in front of him.

It's time my friend. The hour grows late and silver lyte is not far off now. Do not bother taking items with you, you know all too well that they will not be needed.”

That I do Solame. There is just one more thing I must do, then I will be ready to go.”

Of course Paul. I understand completely. I hope you know that I do not enjoy having to do this.”

I do Solame, we have been friends for decades now.” Paul stated as he sat down at his desk with his pen and paper to leave Raelyn her letter.

It read as follows:

My dearest Raelyn,

It causes me tremendous pain to have to say goodbye like this. There are so many things that I wish I could relate to you in person, however my time has run out. You have made my son and nephew happier than I could have ever hoped for. Dimitri found not only the love of his life in you but also the light he needed to keep him going now. Alex, my loving nephew, did not wish to love anyone, then out of no where and before any of us knew it he was lost with you! I too found myself loving you more and more. To watch you grow so much over these past few weeks has been amazing. I only wish I could be here to see the rest. By the time you read this I will already be gone. I am going to the Silver Lyte tonight. Dimitri is under instructions from me to explain everything once I am gone. However I do not feel right leaving without explaining things to you. I gave Dimitri some information and in doing so sentenced myself to death. I am tired Raelyn and ready for this life to be over. Have no fear or anger. I am going to the silver lyte with three of my trusted friends therefore I will not be alone in my death. Watch over my family and protect them, I am leaving them all to you. Help yourself to anything of mine you wish. I have left several notes throughout my books for you and the others. My house and belongings are being left in Alex, Hailey, Francine, and your names. Dimitri will tell you as he can about certain items. But I must inform you myself that there is a Book of Ancients that we all have been searching for, I believe that you have come across this book already. When you figure out which book it is, make sure you give it to Alex and Dimitri only. Keep it safe Raelyn, in the wrong hands it could mean death!. I love you my daughter and will watch over you from above. Please don't grieve for me for long, there is much to do still.


All of my love, Paul


With that he sealed the letter and placed the Valhala seal on it. Knowing that no one other than Raelyn could now open it. He smiled up at Solame.

I am ready my friend, let us take our leave.”

Solame and Paul then just vanished into the air. Just as they did so Hailey came into the study. She saw the letter laying on the desk and knew that he Uncle was gone.

Solame and Paul joined Degrace and Leath on the mountain top. The view was remarkable and peaceful. Paul looked out over the town he loved so much and his only regret was not being able to hug Raelyn goodbye.

Paul turned to look at Solame, Degrace, and Leath. He had so many good memories of these three men.

I will miss our times together gentlemen. But it is time for me to leave you. Take care of yourselves and do not be too hard on yourselves for what has to be done now. I find it the greatest honor to go to my final resting place with the three of you with me.” Paul smiled softly and turned then to meet the silver lyte.

He looked out at the full moon then turned to see the sun begin its peak over the mountain. When the full moon and the sun meet first thing in the morning they shed off a silvery light. Hence the name silver lyte. This is the only way the vampires can die by sun light. Paul took one last breath and centered his thoughts around Dimitri, Raelyn, Hailey, Alex, Fran, and Micah one last time, then faded away into ashes. As his ashes hit the ground a gentle breeze began to blow sweeping them off into the sky. Solame, Degrace, and Leath wiped away the blood tears and slowly began their trek back down the mountain side.



© 2010 Raelyn


Author's Note

Raelyn
*This is my first time writing for others to read, so please feel free to comment and/or critique. All feedback welcomed!* More chapters to come.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

129 Views
Added on February 6, 2010
Last Updated on February 6, 2010


Author

Raelyn
Raelyn

AZ



About
Im a 28 yr old single mom. I work at the local hospital in ICU. In my free time I am attempting to write my first ever novel. Tweet more..

Writing
Characters Page Characters Page

A Chapter by Raelyn


Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Raelyn


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Raelyn