Chapter Two

Chapter Two

A Chapter by iheart5
"

The new kid comes to practice, and Maddi is unwilling to accept him. Jake and Chace like him just fine, but can they ease the tension between Zach and Maddi?

"

June 23, 2008

 

Chace

            My heart was pounding.  I couldn’t breathe.  Ryan was just out of reach; if I could get to him, I could save him.  But as I ran towards him, the distance between us increased.  I ran harder and harder, but it made no difference.  He was reaching for me, calling to me, but I couldn’t speak.  He was begging for me to hurry, and I was, but he kept moving farther away.  I put on a sudden burst of speed, and in that moment, his body burst into flames.

            I woke up panting and sweating as if I had just been running.  It wasn’t the first time I had had that nightmare.  I wondered if it meant something.  If I had left the house a little sooner, would the doctors have been able to save him?  I wasn’t sure, but I still felt guilty that I hadn’t reached him in time.

            Sometimes I wonder how my life would be different if Ryan was still alive.  I know that there’s no use in thinking what-if, but I just can’t help it.  I don’t know if it bothers Maddi and Jake as much as it bothers me.  Maddi misses him too; you can tell.  Once in a while at practice, she’ll be standing at shortstop, and she’ll look over at third base.  Then she’ll close her eyes as if she can still see him there.  I know that Jake was Ryan’s friend as much as we were, but I can’t even tell if he cares anymore.  Even right after he died, Jake acted more normal than any of us.

            For a month after Ryan died, I wanted to die too.  I really seriously considered committing suicide.  In fact, I got so close as to holding the pills in my hand before I chickened out and flushed them down the toilet.  I think the only reason I didn’t was because I was afraid, and because I could imagine how my family and friends, especially Maddi and Jake, would feel.

            The worst part is that my last memory of Ryan is him lying on the hospital bed, hooked up to all these machines.  He was pale and weak and unconscious.  I was with him the whole time.  At the time, I thought it was really nice of the doctors to let me stay with him.  In hindsight, I realize that they just wanted me to be able to say good-bye.  Right before he drew his last breath, he opened his eyes.  They met mine for a timeless moment before closing for the last time.

            When I’m on the baseball field, I don’t think of him like that.  I think of him at third base in the ‘ready position’, strong and capable.  That’s the way he would have liked to be remembered.

            After Ryan’s death, our whole team unanimously voted not to replace him with another player.  Because, simply put, nobody could take Ryan’s place.  And we could still play with a ten player roster.  Of course, that meant that if anything happened, if anyone got suspended or hurt, we’d be ineligible for most tournaments.  Until now, nothing had happened.  But Dustin was out for at least six weeks, and our tourney was in less than two.

            If this kid Zach was any good, maybe, just maybe, we could pull off a win or two.  That’s provided Dad manages to win over the commissioner. 

            We have another practice today.  For the past week or so, it’s been nonstop practice.  I guess we all want to win the Regional pretty badly.  If we win the Regional, we go to State.  The only thing that somewhat bugs me is that the first day of the tournament is July 5, the anniversary of Ryan’s shooting.  It just doesn’t seem fair that he’s dead and we’re out playing ball and having fun on a day where we should be honoring him.

            “Chace!” I jumped at my mother’s yell.  “Bring down your laundry.  Are both your uniforms clean?”     

            I got up wearily out of bed and shouted, “Yes!  They’re clean.  I’m bringing the laundry down!” 

            I sighed.  The day had barely started and I was already in a temper.  I could see that it was going to be a long day.  Grabbing my laundry hamper, I dragged it down the stairs.  I couldn’t wait for the evening and practice.

 

Jake

            I got to practice early.  I don’t like being in my house.  It’s either too quiet or too loud- meaning my parents are either sulking in their respective corners or yelling at each other.  I guess all kids have a safe place, a sort of refuge.  Mine is baseball.  When I play baseball, both my parents come to watch and manage to be decent to one another.  It’s hard being in the middle of them, and for a little while, when I’m standing at second, I’m free.

            I took a quick glance at my watch.  4:45.  Still fifteen minutes to go.  I figured Chace and Coach Foster would be here in about five minutes, and probably Maddi with them.  I heard a car approach our practice field and turned in surprise.  It was a silver SUV.  I’d never seen it before, and I know all our team’s cars like the back of my hand, as I had ridden in most of them at one time or another.  It wasn’t new, either, so it couldn’t be any of my teammates.

            I stood there, puzzled, glove under my arm and a ball in my hand.  I watched as some random kid my age climbed out of the seat and headed for the trunk.  Then it dawned on me… This was the new kid Ad had been talking about.  What was his name?  Zach?  Yeah, that was it.  I dropped my glove and ball and jogged over to him.  He was grabbing his bag and a cap. 

            I said, “Hey.  I’m Jake.  I take it you’re Zach?” 

            Zach nodded and flashed me a quick smile.  “Yeah.  I’m Zach.  So you’re Jake?  Ad’s told me about you.  I hear you’re the second baseman.” 

            I nodded, then asked, “Wanna warm up?” 

            He flashed me a quick grin, responding, “Sure.”  He grabbed his glove and a ball out of his bag.  We walked onto the grass and started throwing.

            I could feel a small smile threatening to break out on my face.  This kid was good.  He was accurate and I was willing to bet that he was a more-than-decent pitcher.  Maybe, just maybe, we had a shot at the Regional.  As we threw back and forth, we chatted.  I learned that he had recently moved from California, where he had played for a prestigious select league.  He was primarily a third baseman, and when he told me that, for a moment I faltered.  An image of Ryan, laughing happily as he stood over the bag, passed before my eyes.

            Zach stopped.  “What’s wrong?” 

            I bit my lip.  I was tempted to tell him, ‘Nothing at all.  Except one of my best friends is dead, killed in a drive-by.  My parents hate each other and do nothing but yell at each other.  And it isn’t exactly like money grows on trees for my family.’  I restrained myself and just shook my head. 

            “Nothing,” I said, and he looked doubtful, but resumed throwing to me. 

            I asked him, “So, how would you like to play for us?” 

            Zach paused before replying, “I don’t know…  I sure would like to, but it depends on how good you guys are.”  He was half-joking, but serious too.

            I shrugged.  “We’re not bad.  We’re number two in the state; we’ve been for three years running.  I have a feeling this is our year…” 

            “Since when?”  We both turned at a new voice.  Chace was walking over to us with a grin. 

            He introduced himself, “Hey.  I’m the first baseman, Chace.  I try not to pitch, but I do when I have to… But I have to admit that I’m probably the team’s last resort.  Last time I pitched I hit three straight batters then gave up the grand slam to their ninth batter.”     I cringed slightly, remembering that disastrous game two years ago.  Zach laughed at that, saying, “I’m Zach.  I can pitch all right, and I’m usually a third baseman, but I can do short when pressed.”

            Chace cocked his head, studying the small, blonde boy in front of him.  I knew Chace well enough to know that he already liked Zach, but Zach nervously looked down.  I punched Chace lightly in the arm.  “Chace, don’t be a freak.”

             He rolled his eyes at me, and said to Zach, “He’s calling me a freak?  You should see him when he gets near a piece of mushroom pizza.  I remember once, we were at a restaurant, and he ate an entire mushroom pizza.  By himself.  Twelve slices.”  Zach burst into laughter, and I could feel myself blushing. 

            I retorted a little sheepishly, “No fair.  It was Maddi’s fault.  She dared me to.” 

            Maddi trotted to us, asking, “Now what’s my fault?”  Then she noticed Zach.  “Oh,” she said, “Oh, you must be Zach.  I’m the shortstop of this team, and don’t give me any crap about being a girl.”  I frowned at her.  Maddi is one of my best friends, but she can be so… I don’t know.  In your face. 

            Zach met her challenging gaze and replied calmly, “There was a girl on my other select team too.  She was just as good as any of us.  I usually play third base, but I can play short.  And I pitch.”

            Maddi looked mollified about the whole girl thing, but she stiffened and said, “You play third?”  He nodded.  She narrowed her eyes and coolly strode away.  Zach glanced at me, obviously taken aback by her rudeness. 

            Chace grimaced.  “I better go talk to her.  Look, Zach, it’s not your fault.  You didn’t do anything wrong.  It’s just…  It’s a long story, okay?  Ask Jake to tell you later.  Don’t take it too personally; Maddi can be like that sometimes.”  With that, he jogged after her, catching up and grabbing her by the shoulder. 

            I turned back to Zach and said, “C’mon.  I’ll take you to meet Coach Foster.”

 

Maddi

            I glared at Jake’s back.  Traitor.  It was like he had forgotten that Ryan ever existed.  Look at him, chatting and laughing with Ryan’s replacement.  Like Ryan could ever be replaced!  I bet the kid wasn’t even good.  He’d never be half as good as Ryan was, anyway.  I heard Chace coming towards me.  I didn’t want to talk to him.  I turned my back pointedly, but I knew that wasn’t going to deter him.  He grabbed my shoulder and spun me around to face him.

            I glared at him, daring him to say something.  He said in an even voice, “I understand how you feel, but taking it out on Zach isn’t going to fix anything.”  Chace’s icy blue eyes studied me for my reaction. 

            I snapped, “If you think I’m going to be all buddy-buddy with some kid who comes in to replace Ryan, you are sadly mistaken.”  He just looked at me for a moment.  I have never met anyone who can express emotions with their eyes like Chace.  Right now there was some annoyance, some sadness, but mostly sympathy. 

            He said gently, “Maddi, I’m not expecting you to be best friends with the guy.  I just don’t want you to harass him or anything.  I mean, I think I know you well enough to realize that you’re determined to hate him right now, and nothing is going to change your mind.  Just don’t be mean to him.  And don’t hate Jake for being nice to Zach.  Jake’s always been like that, you know, friendly and outgoing.  All right?” 

            I scuffed the ground with my cleat before reluctantly agreeing, “Jake’s my friend, and always will be.  But don’t expect me to be nice to Zach.”  I practically spat the name out.  Chace looked like he wanted to say something, but just shook his head and walked away.

            Whatever.  If he wanted to side with Zach, so be it.  I redid my ponytail and headed over to Ben, who had just arrived. 

            “Hey, where’s Ad?”  I asked him. 

            Ben shrugged, answering, “I don’t know.  Want to throw?”  I glanced at Jake and Chace, whom I usually warmed up with, then agreed.  

            “Sure.  Looks like Jake and Chace are busy with the new kid.”

 

Chace

            Maddi is so freakin’ stubborn!  She is one of my best friends in the entire world, but she just annoys the crap out of me sometimes.  It’s not Zach’s fault Ryan’s dead!  It’s not his fault he plays third base like Ryan did!  I know how Maddi feels, but I’m not taking off the poor kid’s head for being a third baseman!

            If it’s anyone’s fault that Ryan’s dead, it’s mine.  I should have started running earlier.  I woke up late that day.  I know you’re not supposed to what-if, but I can’t help it.  It had been a late night because we had a block party for Independence Day.  What if it had rained that night?  Then I wouldn’t have been running late.  And I might have come upon Ryan sooner.  Or even better, we would have met up before he came to the point where he got shot.  Then we probably would have run together, and then maybe he wouldn’t have gotten shot.  What if Ryan had started running a little earlier or later?  And the biggest what-if of all:  What if I had been the one running at the time of the drive-by?

            Looking back on that day, I see that fate was against us.  There were so many possible outcomes, and yet it had to be that one.

            I wish I had been the one to take that bullet.  Better me than Ryan.  Lord knows that he was the better person.

            “Chace?”  I started at the voice interrupting my thoughts. 

            Zach was hesitantly looking at me.  “Warm up with us?” 

            Jake cocked his head at me, waiting for the answer.  No, it wasn’t Zach’s fault.  I nodded and held up my glove.

 



© 2008 iheart5


Author's Note

iheart5
Sorry I haven't posted anything in a while! I've been on vacation with no access to a computer. =D
Now I'm back, so I'll be posting often!
As before, constructive criticism and praise are both accepted gladly. (The criticism to make the story better, the praise to help my ego. Just kidding. But really, make me feel happy and say something nice, too.)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I'm getting more into it with each chapter!

I'm sure this is a personal thing for me, but I would still really like it if you somehow physically described the main characters. It's not like you have to describe them from head to toe, just minor things like hair color or body type. I do like how you emphasized Chase's eyes.

Regarding the friends' reactions to Zach, they're all natural human reactions in my opinion, so I think you did a good job with that. I think Maddi should give Zach a chance, but when you lose a loved one everyone has a different way of dealing with it.

Keep going!

Tesh : )

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I'm getting more into it with each chapter!

I'm sure this is a personal thing for me, but I would still really like it if you somehow physically described the main characters. It's not like you have to describe them from head to toe, just minor things like hair color or body type. I do like how you emphasized Chase's eyes.

Regarding the friends' reactions to Zach, they're all natural human reactions in my opinion, so I think you did a good job with that. I think Maddi should give Zach a chance, but when you lose a loved one everyone has a different way of dealing with it.

Keep going!

Tesh : )

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

154 Views
1 Review
Added on August 3, 2008


Author

iheart5
iheart5

You don't need to know where I live...



About
Hey, everybody! Well, I'm not going to put too much personal info out there... But here you go. I love to read, write, and watch baseball and football. I love Madeleine L'engle's books, Harry Potte.. more..

Writing
Discovery Discovery

A Chapter by iheart5


Lynya's Wisdom Lynya's Wisdom

A Chapter by iheart5