Chapter Four

Chapter Four

A Chapter by Emily
"

23 February 3160

"

Which Log would you like to view?

 

[1] Opening Day – February 20th, 3160
[2] Day Two – February 21st, 3160
[3] Day Three – February 22nd, 3160
[4] Day Four – February 23rd, 3160
[5] Day Ten – February 29th, 3160
[6] Day Fifteen – March 5th, 3160
[7] Day Thirty-One – March 21st, 3160
[8] Problem – June 3rd, 3160
[9] One Year! – March 1st, 3161
[10] Evelyn – April 19th, 3161
[11] Two Years! – March 1st, 3162
[12] Three Years – March 1st, 3163
[13] Engine Shutdown – October 28th, 3163
[14] Technical Issues – December 24th, 3163
[15] Four Years – February 29th, 3164
[16] Celebration – March 15th, 3164
[17] Disease – July 30th, 3164
[18] Revelation – September 23rd, 3164
[19] Deaths – December 31st, 3164
[20] Five Years – March 1st, 3165
[21] Last Log – April 3rd, 3165

 
Accessing Day Four – February 23rd, 3160
 
            Adam Smith is at his desk again. As he has been everyday thus far, the man is clean-shaven and wearing casual business attire. “It’s day four of the Oasis project, and everything has gone as close to perfect as we could hope. Everyone’s settled in peacefully, and we’ve only experienced a few breakdowns in public.” He frowns, “They really hate the fact that all of their relatives will be dead soon. To be honest, I don’t much like that either.
            “Everyone out there is under my protection. Doesn’t that mean that I should be watching out for their well-being as well? I was an only child, my parents have both passed on, and I’m here with my wife Evelyn. I can’t even sympathize with my own people. And yet, every time I walk outside our home, I see them. They look at me with those eyes, so full of gratitude toward me for just giving them a glimmer of hope.”
            He runs a hand through his short, dark hair. “I just feel like I owe them more. They’re all such good people, and I can’t give them a chance to be with their families. It’s hard. Especially now, while those families are still alive out there. I’m sure I’ll get over it eventually, but at the moment, I have a chance to do something. But I can’t, because that would mean kicking others out. I can’t do that.
            “That’s all on that, though,” he straightens up again, his face going back to a neutral countenance. There’s still a slight underlying showing of sadness though. “I really got to meet with all of the residents last night. They’re in a range of ages from five to fifty. Evelyn and I held a gathering last night at our home here, and most of the residents were able to attend. Luckily, we have a lot of space in the residential district where we can house all 2000.
            “There are some amazing people here, that’s for sure.” Smith’s face brightens suddenly as he remembers a certain person. “Doctor Kearney, for instance. He graduated from Harvard with a doctorate in Theology and Ministry. He got one of the individual homes, and converted it into a church to God. We spoke on many things. He’s a genius. Knows everything about religion.
            “You know,” Smith leans forward, “he told me that faith in God was slipping terribly a long time ago. You look back at history, and you’d think that they would have to believe in a higher power, what with how little they knew. How ‘primitive’ their cultures were. This was back around the turn of the twenty-first, he said.
            “A lot of bad things were happening then. Of course, this was before we’d been able to install the foresight chips into peoples’ minds. Nobody was able to read anybody’s intentions, and a lot of bad people got in power. They effectively turned the western hemisphere into a temple to atheism. It wasn’t for another one hundred years that the underground Christians, Jews, and Muslims were able to band together and overthrow the regime.
            “He’s got all sorts of amazing stories like that. Of course, he’s a Christian minister, preaching the word of God as said by Jesus Christ. Forty-seven years old. Not too much older than I am.
            “There’s another person I met, this artist girl by the name of Dreaxanla Chabbu. While she was born in the American Confederacy, her parents, Nad and Nicone, were from some foreign country. She told me the name of the country, but I’d never heard of it, and probably couldn’t pronounce it to you now if I remembered it. It took me all night to remember her and her parents’ names.
            “She does all sorts of fancy paintings and drawings. Sells them for money. I can imagine her doing all sorts of beautiful works in here, reminding people of the outside, and also bringing out some of the beauty of Oasis itself. Hopefully, with her influence, and the fact that she’s only seventeen –plenty of life left- Oasis will become a much more cultured and beautiful place. 
            “She also told me she was getting married to this other guy who got in. Thank God they both made it. I’d have hated for her to have gotten separated from her fiancé. He’s a novelist. I don’t remember his name, but I’ll be sure to ask Drea the next time I talk to her. Veond, I think it was. Yes, that was it. Veond Meflign. His parents were from the same area, obviously.
            “There were many more people who were equally interesting, and who will bring a lot to this little culture house, but I don’t have time to name them all. Over the next few years, I hope to meet with each one personally and learn a lot about them.
            “Let’s see,” he looks over to his computer. “No problems to report with Oasis, and the rock problem from yesterday has been cleared up. Pressure sensors all around the walls of Oasis are reporting normal pressure. Nothing this structure can’t handle. We should be making it through easily.
            “Eve was telling me yesterday that she was thinking of kids. I’m not sure I could handle another responsibility just yet. I told her that, and she seemed kind of disappointed. I can’t blame her. If I had something I really wanted, and it was on a level like children, then I’d probably be disappointed to have it shot down as well. Nevertheless, I told her I’d love to have kids sometime, but I just wasn’t ready yet. I’m not sure that that was the right answer. 
            “Of course, I’m reaching a point in my life where, if I want kids, I better get after it. I’m 42 years old right now. If we had them this year, then I’d be 60 by the time the child was an adult. Not a bad age, but I’d rather be around for a while. Maybe I’ll go along with her and try. Yeah,” he brightens visibly, “It’ll be nine months after we conceive before the kid is born. Surely, by that time, we’ll have things underway here. Let’s see… nine months from February is… November. Or early December, seeing as how long it takes.
            “Anyway, I’m going to go tell her that. I think we’ve had enough of a transmission for today. Fourth transmission over.”
 

What would you like to do?
 
[1] View log again.
[2] Return to log menu.
[3] Return to root menu.

 
Loading log menu… Please stand by.


© 2008 Emily


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

259 Views
Added on February 6, 2008


Author

Emily
Emily

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada



About
uhhh hi D: more..

Writing
Teaser Teaser

A Story by Emily


Lucidity Lucidity

A Story by Emily