Chapter Five

Chapter Five

A Chapter by Emily
"

29 February 3160

"

Which Log would you like to view?

 

[1] Opening Day – February 20th, 3160
[2] Day Two – February 21st, 3160
[3] Day Three – February 22nd, 3160
[4] Day Four – February 23rd, 3160
[5] Day Ten – February 29th, 3160
[6] Day Fifteen – March 5th, 3160
[7] Day Thirty-One – March 21st, 3160
[8] Problem – June 3rd, 3160
[9] One Year! – March 1st, 3161
[10] Evelyn – April 19th, 3161
[11] Two Years! – March 1st, 3162
[12] Three Years – March 1st, 3163
[13] Engine Shutdown – October 28th, 3163
[14] Technical Issues – December 24th, 3163
[15] Four Years – February 29th, 3164
[16] Celebration – March 15th, 3164
[17] Disease – July 30th, 3164
[18] Revelation – September 23rd, 3164
[19] Deaths – December 31st, 3164
[20] Five Years – March 1st, 3165
[21] Last Log – April 3rd, 3165

 
Accessing Day Ten – February 29th, 3160
 
This time, Smith looks somewhat disheveled. His clothes, usually pressed, are somewhat rumpled, and he looks tired. On top of everything, he has a shadow that suggests he didn’t shave this morning. “This is it,” he starts out, “the point of no return. 
“Today is the day that Sol gets in range, and the Ozone layer will be burnt away. Everyone outside will become radiated, and die within days, if not hours. I don’t think I got any sleep last night. Eve isn’t too happy with me. I just can’t help it. I’ve thought about every angle; how we could fit just a few more people here or there. Nothing works. We calculated everything precisely when we built the place; nothing can be changed without putting major stress on the structure.
“Not only that, but we can’t fit more people in here. We took into account the possibility of pregnancies, and how children will need space as well. Optimum population cap… it means that, judging by the human species’ manner in reproduction, consumption and outputting of resources, and other, more in-depth statistics, we can produce an amount of space that is good for a certain number of people, and whatever might happen is accounted for. Deaths and births are population control, and are also accounted for.
“That isn’t the point, though. The point is that we’ve done everything we can, and I’m just disappointed that I can’t do more.
“A lot has happened since the last time I put a log in. I thought that it would just degenerate into boring rants over technical things like our soil and water readings. Luckily, there’s quite a bit more than that at this point. I’ve been speaking with some of the residents of Oasis, mostly Drea and Dr. Kearney. 
“Drea introduced me to Veond. He seemed to be a decent guy. Blonde, messy hair, sarcastic wit: he was definitely a novelist. Really cared for her, too. I could see that in his eyes, along with the way he spoke of her. I remember being like that, back before Eve and I got married. We’re still in love, but at first, it’s always so fresh and exciting. They’ll be just fine.
“They didn’t get one of the homes, but are living in one of the larger residence halls, and have a fairly large suite to themselves. Drea gave me a tour two days ago and showed me what she’s done with the place. It seems that, except for a sleeping area and a study –no doubt Veond’s-, it’s a legitimate art studio.”
He grins to himself, looking better now that he’s distracted. “She was doing a portrait of me. I looked quite regal, almost like a king. I hope that’s not how they start viewing me. I’m merely protecting them; I don’t want to control their lives. Still, I’ll take what comes.
“The study was interesting. A word processor unit, which I had expected, was not the only thing he worked with. I saw pencils and paper – things that, to the extent of my knowledge, haven’t been used for centuries. There were all sorts of scribbles and writings in various languages, as well as sketches of people. It seems he’s not a shabby artist himself. They also had a piano, an old upright. The two almost seem to be antique collectors. It’s amazing, the amount of world culture they’re preserving without even meaning to.
“Anyway,” he says, shaking his head, “I didn’t just spend all my time over at their home. Eve and I went to Dr. Kearney’s church on Sunday. He spoke to the entire crowd, preaching about how we can only pray for those outside. In our hearts and minds, they’ll live on, and God will make sure that their pain is limited as they die outside. He gave us this chance, and Dr. Kearney implored us to make the most of it.
“He’s an amazing guy. Took what everyone was thinking –including myself- and turned it right around. Instead of feeling sorry for our families and moping around, as I’ve been doing, we should keep ourselves alive, and look out for each other. We’re one large family, he said. In an awkwardly idealistic sense, I can see what he means, and the man knows what he’s talking about.
“The evils of the world aren’t going to go away with the purging of the outside. For all I know, we have a couple ex-cons in here. Of course, I’m sure that they won’t do anything. What could they do? There’s no money system, so stealing, robbing, mugging, holding up shopping areas… it’s useless. Also, everyone’s going to have to know everyone after a while. Two thousand people might be a lot, but it’s not large enough to keep to yourself for very long.
A buzzer on Smith’s desk goes off. “Sir, could you please come outside for a moment? We have a bit of an issue we’d like your insight on.”
            “Yes, just a second,” he replies. “I’ll continue this broadcast in just a moment.” The camera goes dim as it enters standby mode.
            Apparently, he edits the content afterwards because, almost immediately, he’s back. “Alright, back to business. It seems that a couple people would like to meet with me, but I told them to come back in an hour or so, so that I can get this log up onto the mainframe and ready. It’s more of a journal than a worklog, I suppose, but I believe that it is important, so that future generations in Oasis can see how it all started.
            “Actually, I can go ahead and wrap this one up. It’ll probably be a few days before I am able to put up another transmission. Now that the locks have been sealed, business is really going to pick up. I’ll keep updating, though. Fifth transmission over.”
 

What would you like to do?
 
[1] View log again.
[2] Return to log menu.
[3] Return to root menu.

 
Loading log menu… Please stand by.


© 2008 Emily


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

242 Views
Added on February 6, 2008


Author

Emily
Emily

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada



About
uhhh hi D: more..

Writing
Teaser Teaser

A Story by Emily


Lucidity Lucidity

A Story by Emily