Killing me coldly

Killing me coldly

A Chapter by Beck Louise

I keep a close eye on her as she stumbles through the forest. Flying above makes it easier to keep track of her. Her disorientation is quite obvious. I doubt she even knows that the direction she's running in will only lead her into the most dangerous part of the woods. She's reached it now.

The rock face. It stops anyone from leaving the forest, if you don't wish them to.

Back in my natural form, I approach her, smoothly, almost calmly. The last thing I need is for her to run in the other direction. Her initial reaction is confusion. I expect she thought I was Gregory. The fear in her eyes is blurred only somewhat by the pitiful tears falling. She matches every step I take towards her, until her back is forced against the hard, cold rock.

“Please, please, we didn't mean to trespass” She pleads, but I have no pity.

“You've seen too much” I say, emotionless, pushing the point of my dagger onto my finger, threateningly.

“No, no! I won't tell anyone, I swear” She is sobbing so hard now that I can scarcely make out her words. Though I know, this is not her fault, I cannot let emotion rule me. She must die. That's just the way. I fly forward, pushing her against the rock. She looks away, pathetic moans escaping her lips. I pull the dagger to her throat and without another hesitation, slide it across, feeling her head fall against me, lifeless. My monstrous nature takes over me. The smell of her blood grabs me like a magnet. I sink my teeth into her neck.


“Nice work sis” Gregory is behind me, followed by Roderick, who obviously caught up with him amidst the chase. I notice the blood dripping from both of their mouths. The other man is dead.

“Where are the others?” I enquire, noticing their absence.

“Still hunting I imagine, they didn't catch on to the real hunt we had going on” Gregory smirks, surveying the woman’s body, now limp, collapsed, on the ground. I wipe the blood, now dripping from my chin.

“Did she beg and plead?” Laughs Gregory harshly, spitting on the remains of the woman.

“They all do” His amusement at the destruction of innocent people unsettles me. I realise it should be in our nature, but some of us find it slightly distasteful to mock the dead. My brother relishes in the killing of mortals.


“Humans? What happened?” Flint lands down next to Roderick, observing the mutilated woman's body with confusion, obviously having already seen one, or both, of the other men. Freda is not far behind him. The sight of the dead woman unnerves her as usual. She chooses to look away, almost as if she doesn't even know it's there.

“They trespassed.” Grunts Gregory

“So you just killed them?” He looks to me, knowing this is not usually my style, but the blood still falling from my teeth would tell a different story. Seeing his expression, I feel the need to defend myself, for the second time today.

“She saw Gregory kill another. I had to.” He nods, understanding the need for me to become brutal.

“We must collect the bodies” He says simply, moving towards the woman. He collects her carefully in his arms and motions to the boys to go collect the men. I see Roderick and Gregory transform once more and fly into the depth of the woods, searching for the bodies of the victims.

I follow Flint, along with Freda, who holds firmly onto my hand.

“I know he's your brother, but Gregory really does scare me sometimes” She whispers in my ear. I must admit I feel the same. It's normal for us to need blood, to lust for it. He's different. Blood doesn't suffice. It must be human.


When we arrive back at the house, the bodies of the two men are lying, mutilated and unrecognisable on the kitchen table. Freda walks straight down the corridor, obviously exhausted. Gregory and Roderick are sitting at the kitchen table, talking in excitement of tonight's epic hunt. Flint looks to me, and I know it's our job now to get rid of the bodies. This is always the part of hunting I despise. It seems silly really, when you've just killed and mutilated a human, that you should be disgusted by burning their body. The fire, it's just such a terrifying object for us. I've seen our kind burned to death before, and I know I'll see it again. Watching someone burn, even if already dead, it just brings those horrific images back. I'd rather keep them in a hidden corner of my mind, never bothering me.


Flint is kneeling on a rock, watching as the fire engulfs the three lifeless bodies. The smell is unbearable, but we're used to it by now. I try my best to avoid looking, but it's surprisingly difficult. Flint throws a rock at the fire, watching as the sparks fly.

“We need to talk about Gregory” He says, finally

“Okay” I say, not really understanding why he's having this conversation with me and not my brother.

“He's getting out of control. I've been thinking this for a while now, and tonight just confirmed it” I nod vaguely.

“You have to talk to him” I look then

“And you think he'll listen?” I say, indignantly.

“You're his sister, that gives you more chance than any of us” I roll my eyes. In my opinion, I have less advantage than anyone in this pack, when it comes to Gregory.

“You should know by now Flint, he listens to no one, and even less to me.” I look down

“At any rate, someone needs to talk to him, it may as well be you” I swallow hard, trying to conceal my annoyance. There's nothing I want less right now than to talk to my brother. I kick the fire moodily, scowling at the ash as it flies out at me.

“What's wrong with you?” He frowns at me as I chuck a bit of wood into the fire, quite aggressively.

“Nothing” I mumble, fiercely.

“Be careful, you're beginning to look like your brother” He smirks. At first I turn to scowl at him, but when I see the light hearted smirk, my face softens and we both laugh.


“Gregory?” I call out, searching in the dark house for him. I hear nothing but the creaking of the old floorboards and the gentle whining of the ancient walls. I enter the cellar, but none of the coffins are closed. I wander around, wondering if he's perhaps transformed. I see no sign of life, searching the corners and darkest spaces of the cold room. I lean down over his coffin, seeing the worn inside, which used to be a deep blood red, now faded to a dull scarlett. I tut at the condition of it, making a mental note to refurbish all of our coffins soon. I hear something drop behind me, and I whip around in fright, only to see Gregory, kneeling on Roderick's coffin, smiling evilly at me.

“Sister, dearest” He tilts his head. I notice his eyes. The red is almost luminous, and so prominent in the dark room. His eyes are always red when he's at his most vicious. I can hear the gentle hiss of his breath against his fangs, and I don't deny that at this, his most terrifying, I feel intimidated, almost as though I'm his prey. I shuffle gently, moving away from him, feeling uncomfortable being so close. I feel his glowing scarlett eyes following me, as I move, unblinking.

“I sense this isn't a call of pleasure” He smirks. I shake my head, my facial expression remaining calous.

“Flint sent you” He says, jumping down onto the floor.

“No one sent me” I hiss “I take orders from no one” He chuckles, amused at his own ability to push my buttons.

“Then go ahead, what is it you wish to bore me with? What issue is it, that my sister felt so pressing to disturb me with?” He never moves his eyes from me, constantly watching my movements, as I try my best to avoid his watch.


“Tonight” I begin. I see his frown appear. “That kind of careless behaviour, it's just not acceptable, you know that” He laughs again. My head jerks up to throw him a harsh look.

“Oh careless behaviour, they should not have been there”

“Gregory! I'm serious, do you not realise what you risk?! Do you?!” His careless nonchalant response has fuelled my anger, my frustration.

“Of course I do!” He spits back, his eyes almost inflaming with anger.

“You are selfish! You don't only risk yourself, you risk us all!” We are face to face now, hissing at each other in fury.

“And you think I do not know the risks?!” He yells, rising onto his toes, towering over me.

“You obviously don't care!” I retort

“No! I don't! Humans are vermin!” He spits at his side, showing his disgust. “They deserve to be destroyed”

“No one deserves what you did tonight!” I cry out

“And what if the shoe were on the other foot? You think they would not do the very same thing if given the chance!” He has silenced me then. I know there is some truth in his words.

“You know I speak the truth” He laughs, hollowly.

“Accept that I know what I'm talking about. They are a horrible race” His face is pure hate

“You know nothing!” I yell “You disgust me.”

“What's going on?” Roderick stands in the doorway, his eyes darting from me to Gregory with a look of panic and confusion. As usual, Gregory's eyes stay focused on me, almost burning through me.

“Nothing” He says, coldly, still focused on me. “We were just having a little chat, weren't we, Rook” He ruffles my hair, but I push his condescending hand away. He pushes past Roderick, giving him a fake grin, probably feeling quite amused with himself right now.


I stand, rooted to the spot. Stuck there, by anger and frustration. By complete disgust at my own flesh and blood. My family.

“Are you alright?” Roderick seems concerned, as I don't move, showing no signs of emotion.

“Fine, why wouldn't I be” I say, more coldly than I meant, and then push past him. He always treats me like a child, like I need protected. I don't need anyone's help. He needn't care so much. I'm just fine by myself.




© 2012 Beck Louise


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I'm really liking this... I remember reading the first chapter on Wattpad. Please continue!

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

589 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on September 3, 2012
Last Updated on September 3, 2012


Author

Beck Louise
Beck Louise

United Kingdom



About
I'm Beck. I'm a writer focusing on women's fictions, drama, and historical romance. I am active on this platform again as of March 2023, so please send any read requests and I will make sure I ge.. more..

Writing