The Full moon

The Full moon

A Chapter by Beck Louise
"

This is where the story starts to take off, so please, review :)

"

The forest is quiet. Too quiet I think. It unsettles me to hear not a sound, as I creep further into the depths of the woods, keeping my eyes scanning and my ears alert. We're in hunting teams tonight. I can see Roderick out of the corner of my eye, mirroring my steps. He, too, is moving cautiously, making sure to keep an eye on every part of the woods around him. I stop suddenly as he swings his fist up, signalling the sight of prey. My eyes dart in his line of vision, searching but not seeing. I look to him, and he presses a finger gently to his lips, and I stay silent, assuming the animal is close. His feet are light on the ground, silent. He has a talent for sneaking up on things, his footsteps are so quiet, so gentle. As a hunter, this makes him one of the most dangerous in our pack. His fingers grip tighter on his blade, and I can see his eyes focusing on the prey. He lunges, and I hear the deathly moan of the blade hitting a vital organ. I move over to help him, leaning down, I twist the creatures neck, stopping it's awful writhing, immediately. For a moment, he catches my eye, and we share a moment of relief at the silence of the deer. It's a common misconception that our kind enjoy killing. Sometimes, yes, but not always. It can be a horrible experience for us, hearing a perfectly innocent creature scream in pain, dying, and knowing it's our fault. Gregory is the exception to this. Roderick can be as bad sometimes, but he's not ruthless, he doesn't have that evil glint in his eyes that I see in Gregory.

Should we take it back home?” He asks, after we have both quenched our thirst.

I don't know, perhaps” I know that Flint is always glad of the meat, but hauling the animal all the way from this distant part of the woods seems like a wasted effort. I'm sure he and Freda will have caught something at any rate.

I'm sure Gregory will have killed something” Roderick stands, not giving the animal a second look, and begins to walk away.

Roderick? We can't just leave it here, someone might find it” I remind him. He shouldn't need reminding of the dangers of not properly disposing of prey. He gives me a cold look, obviously annoyed at my condescension, but I brush it off without any concern. We lift the deer together, and after securing a few rocks to it, throw it over the nearby cliff into the crashing waves below. Sighing in relief, we both turn back and head home.


Some way through the woods, we come to a stop, realising we've neither seen nor heard from any of the others for many hours now. We've covered the majority of forest whilst walking back, and it seems strange to have not ran into any of them.

It does seem awfully strange” Roderick agrees, as I express my concerns. A stern look paints over my face as I scan the scenery.

Roderick! I grab him and pull him to the ground, leaving him to yell out in shock

What is it?” he asks, pulling himself back onto his feet, to kneel down, wiping the dirt from his trousers.

I can see a light” I say, quite absently, but focused, my eyes following the white light in the distance.

A light?” He asks, seemingly confused as to why this is so terrifying that I felt the need to pull him onto the ground.

It could be Ivan” He ducks down further then. Ivan. He calls himself the “vampire hunter” his entire family have been hunting us for centuries, with little success. Ivan is much more relentless than his predecessors though, he has a need to kill us. He's dangerous. He killed my father. After that, he vowed we would all meet the same fate. He doesn't know how many there is, but he won't stop until he's sure, we are all gone. I despise him for what he did to my father, an innocent man, a good man. Until the time of my fathers death, Gregory had never killed any living thing. I was the hunter in the family. He was shy, quiet. A far cry from what he's now become. He's not my brother anymore. When he looked into my fathers empty eyes, something changed in him. He became ruthless, hell bent on getting revenge on anything living. This is where his hate for the human race stems from. His revenge is towards all of them. Toward Flint too. When my father was no longer there to guide us, the responsibility fell to Flint. My brothers resentment towards him is greater than I can explain. I think he feels he is trying to replace my father.

We need to get out of here, now” I warn, this is not the night for a showdown with Ivan. Roderick nods in agreement, and leads us both, still hiding, farther through the woods.

I'm worried about the others” I whisper “What if something has happened to them? You said yourself it was strange we haven't seen them all night” He looks up, thoughtfully

I'm sure they're fine, they've probably went back to the house, we have been out here for quite some time” he concludes. I do see sense in what he's saying, but I can't rid myself of the worry I feel.

I'm sure you're right, and they've just gone back to the house, but we really can't be sure” I go to continue but he cuts me off

No, Rookery, we mustn't, you know that!” He hisses

I have to make sure he hasn't got them!” I snap at him. I go to turn but he grabs my wrist and pulls me back down.

No! It's too dangerous!” I shake my head

I'm going to go, with or without you” I stay firm in my voice and he purses his lips in frustration, weighing out his options.

If we get caught” He keeps his eyes in focus with mine “you run, okay? Don't turn back, don't look for me and do not come back for me if something happens, understand?” I nod, glad that I won't be alone, but less enthused to the agreement.


We creep slowly through the woods, keeping ears and eyes alert. It's not like hunting, though. We are the prey this time, we are the ones with the vulnerability. My eyes are constantly scanning the areas around me. I know that I'm more likely to see them than to hear them. Flint and Freda will know it's too dangerous to call any of our names out. Gregory is not as careful, but I'm less worried about him. I doubt he's hiding. He's so arrogant, he wouldn't even hide from Ivan. He would just run outright, not caring if he was chased. He would put us all in danger to satisfy his own ego.

I see no one. I hear no one. Not even a sign that they were ever here. I hear Ivan's van, still running, but parked. It's positioned in a clearing in the woods, it's search light scanning the trees, carefully. We both crouch, very low, behind a large Rhododendron bush. From our hiding place, Ivan is just visible, pacing the clearing. My stomach tumbles horribly at the sight of him. It brings a horrible nausea to me, seeing him, being so close to him.


I scan around the clearing, but it appears Roderick was right. I see no sign of Flint, or Freda, or indeed, Gregory. I look to him and he raises his eyebrows, shaking his head slightly. I look away, in annoyance. He knows why we had to come, why I had to. Surely he understands. I won't see any of my family meet the same fate as my father, not at the hands of this man. We both jump slightly, as Ivan lets out an excited chuckle, running towards his van. I can hear a faint beeping noise, and my heart begins to thud horribly in my chest.

I got you this time” He mutters, a horrible twisted satisfaction in his voice

I know you're there, beasts! You might as well start running now” He yells into the forest. I turn to Roderick in panic, but he just presses his finger to his lips to signal my silence. I swallow hard. Roderick edges forward, carefully, making sure he doesn't break any twigs, or crunch any leaves. I look behind me, but whichever route we take, I see no way of avoiding him seeing us.


I jump, as Roderick touches my arm. He is pointing to the left of us, and I follow him as he creeps round the shrubbery. I can't help but to keep glancing at Ivan, making sure he remains ignorant to our position. He keeps a close eye on every part of the woods, trying desperately to find us. We both freeze as he moves over in our direction. I'm struggling to keep my balance as I stopped on an uneven ground. He hasn't seen us, but he remains standing there. Roderick is too far away to hold me balanced. I wobble horrible, trying not to fall. His face shows worry as he turns his head slightly, only to see my rocking back and forth, gritting my teeth from trying so hard not to fall over. He shakes his head in terror, but it's too late. I lose all balance and go crashing to the ground. There is no doubting what the noise was, and Ivan is too quick not to notice. I hear his footsteps, and I have no time to waste. Despite our agreement, Roderick pulls me up from the dirt and we both run, frantically. I can hear his footsteps, so horribly close to mine. Even his heavy breathing, it sickens me, it terrifies me.


He seems to be slowing down, and this is when I push myself to run faster. I run and run until my legs can take no more. I fall against a massive oak tree, making sure I stay hidden. Roderick is no longer next to me, we must have lost each other whilst we were running. I scan the area around me, panicking slightly. Looking behind, I still see nothing. It seems like hours I wait, heart beating out of my chest. At one point, I can almost feel my sanity slipping away, as I go out of my mind with worry for all four of my most loved ones. Roderick could very well have saved my life back there. This is when the guilt sets in. He saved my life, even though, it was all my fault we were in that position, that he was. I should have made him go home, I should have told him I was going alone, gave him no alternative. Now he could be dead for all I know, and it's all down to me. I scrunch my face up, and shake these horrible thoughts from my head. Now, is certainly not the time to be getting emotional. I need to be focused, ruthless, unrelenting.


I nearly start to run as I hear a branch break just near me. I let out a relieved sigh, as I see Roderick, fall gently down, his back against the tree just across from mine. He nods, acknowledging that we are both okay. No smile. This is no time for happiness. Ivan is still close. We both sit, as quiet as possible, and listen for any sign of movement. There are twigs breaking in the distance. We are both still. Waiting. I can hear his wheezing breath, as he moves carefully along the stretch of forest towards us. In that moment, I begin to remember my father. His memory forever tainted by that one night.


I can still remember it all so vividly. I can smell the earth, the earth that shattered around him as he fell to the ground. I remember the sound of his pain. The moan of agony as the stake was driven through his heart. But mostly, I remember my brother.


Father!” Flint had held him back for long enough. He couldn't stand back anymore. He just ran, until he fell to the ground, next to my fathers dead body. His arms, wrapped around the man he had idolised so, he sobbed, more than I thought he ever could. I could hear the pain in his voice, as it cracked. I could only stand there, my heart in tatters, and tears staining my face. I couldn't sob like Gregory. All feeling had left me, and I just felt numb. It wasn't real to me, none of it was real. My father couldn't be dead, it didn't make sense, none of it did. He was too strong, I thought he would always make it through anything.

Flint moved forward, trying to prize Gregory off of my fathers limp body, but it was in vain.

No!” His voice was mangled from the tears, unrecognisable. “I won't leave him!” He screamed, refusing to let go.

We must leave, Gregory! It's not safe here!” He remained pulling him, as he fought to stay by my fathers side

I don't care! Let him take me too” at these last words, he completely broke down. He was so weak from the crying, that Flint easily overpowered him, lifting him away from the broken body.

The image of my fathers lifeless body being carried home by Roderick and Flint. It's something which will haunt me, eternally.


The crack of the branch stirs my thoughts. I realise, Ivan is close. I can hear my heart, beating hard in my chest. Looking to Roderick, he gives me a grave look. I see him mouth something but I can't quite figure it out. Ivan is almost there now. I shake my head, trying to signal my confusion. I begin to breathe heavier as I see his boots, placed carefully right next to me. Pushing harder against the tree, I try to hide, but he knows I'm there. He lunges at me, throwing the stake, narrowly missing my arm.

RUN!” I hear Roderick's voice, screaming desperately to me, and he throws himself onto Ivan's back, fighting and wrestling. I want to stay, I want to help him. But I told him, I agreed, to run if he told me to run, to not look back.


I run. I run as fast as I can. There is no getting tired this time, I need to get home. When I reach the door, I almost go through it. The panic in my body won't leave, I fall in the door. Gregory and Freda are sitting, nervously, whilst Flint is pacing the floor, clearly anxious. When he sees me, he runs over and pulls me into a hug. Gregory is the first to notice, Roderick is his best friend.

Where is Roderick?” He stands as he speaks, advancing on me, and I can see the aggression in his expression. I'm breathing to heavy to answer properly

He told me to run” I choke, struggling to find air.

You left him?!” He spits, coming right into my face, and Flint is forced to push him back

Leave it, Gregory!” he demands. He's right though, for once. I feel a horrible twisting guilt, undulating down through my body.

How could you just leave him?” He mutters, bitterly.

And you?! You knew Ivan was there! All of you did! What did you do to help either of us?!” I scream at all of them. Flint looks slightly taken aback.

I'll tell you; nothing. You all sat here” The bitter tone in my voice scares even me “For all you knew both of us could have been dead” I finish, looking away from them all.

You know why we couldn't go back, Rookery” Flint is trying to keep calm, but I can tell I've riled him.


We barely have time to mull over the guilt and anger between us. The door bangs, and Roderick enters, breathing heavy. His face is badly scratched, and this only makes me feel worse. We all just stare at him, almost amazed he made it home.

I had to” He coughs “Throw him off track” He's wheezing awfully, and he can't seem to catch his breath. Gregory gives him a slap on the back, in appreciation, all the while throwing me a deathly stare. When he regains his composure, he addresses us all.

He knows we're here now. He's only going to be more determined after tonight, we have to leave”

Leave?” I ask, taken aback by this sudden decision

Rookery, he's not going to leave us alone, not until we're all dead, you saw what he was like tonight, we can't spend the next however many years living in fear” This is when Gregory interjects with a snort.

Fear? I do not fear him”

Gregory, Roderick is right, he's not going to stop until we are all gone”
“All the more reason to kill him now!” I must admit, the temptation does flood into me, but I shake it off, knowing that killing Ivan will only lead to more trouble.

Gregory, that's enough” Flint holds a hand up, his tolerance for my brother's hatred lessening.

We need to figure out what we are going to do” He paces, thoughtfully. “We can't just up and leave without figuring out our next steps” There's no talking for a few minutes, we are all watching Flint, carefully analysing his expression, trying to figure out his thoughts. Finally, he stands up straight, taking a deep breath.

I think I need to go into the village” Immediately, there is no obvious reaction, just a silent shock.

It's too dangerous” I'm shaking my head, speaking words that my brain isn't aware of.

and so we do what? Just wait here, to be hunted like dogs?” I retreat into myself. I hate it when he makes me feel so ridiculous.

Tomorrow, I'll make sure I stay hidden, listen for talk in the village, then tomorrow night, we plan our next steps” As usual, his word is law, and that settles the matter. I don't say anything, I won't pretend I'm okay with it. I worry for Flint, though I know he doesn't need it. Then, I thought that about my father too. It's why I'm so cautious. He was strong, sensible, like Flint. I just worry he will meet the same fate.



I think I might retire now” This is the first time I've heard Freda speak at all tonight. It's the first time I really notice her. I frown, seeing the strained state of her face. She looks drained and almost ill. I watch her as she moves. Her movement is slow, like she's having to push herself for even this much. It plays on my mind, the thought that something might be wrong. I say nothing though, I needn't make it any of my business, but it worries me none the less. Gregory follows Freda, and this is when Flint speaks again.


I thought you were going to speak to him” I see Roderick look to me, obviously wondering about the reason.

I did, but if you remember, I told you already, he listens to no one, and especially not me”

Well what did you say to him?” He presses, and I feel the anger flair up in me. Does he not realise I can do nothing? I wish he would stop putting this great amount of pressure on me.

What does it matter? It obviously made no difference” I turn away from him, wandering aimlessly around the room, trying to work off my anger.

He needs to stop this behaviour!”

Then go!” I yell, jerking round “Go tell him! Instead of putting the blame on me! I haven't seen you trying to talk to him!” He draws back, frowning at me. I take a deep breath and try to recompose myself. For a moment, we just stare at each other, none of us ready to say anything.

What behaviour?” We both look round. I had almost forgotten he was there.

This severe hatred for mortals” Flint says, quite casually

Oh” This is all he says, but I know he feels the same as I. The mere thought of attempting to change Gregory's view on humans is something which can send your stomach into turmoil.

Anyway, I'm afraid I have to retire, also. There is, no doubt, a big day ahead tomorrow” He doesn't wait around for anyone bidding him goodnight. I feel a great deal of anger toward him at the moment, and I won't hide it.




Everyone has left, and for the second time tonight, Roderick and I, are left alone. I shift, very awkwardly, feeling I owe him something, a feeling which I don't entirely enjoy.

Thank you” I push myself to say this “for tonight. You, um, you saved my life” I don't look at him

My pleasure, let's just say you owe me one” He's smirking, and winks at me. I frown. I don't really think this is the time for this kind of behaviour.

Lighten up Rook” He begs, throwing his head back in exasperation.

Sorry” even this is said with a certain dryness. His smile fades, and he looks at me, quite sadly.

You used to be so happy” I widen my eyes. His confession knocked me a little.

Used to?” I ask, my voice struggling slightly.

I can't remember the last time I saw you laugh” He admits, and I find myself glazing over slightly, trying to remember a time when I had it inside me to laugh, to be truly happy. I feel tears sting my eyes, but I refuse to cry, not in front of Roderick. Not in front of anyone.

We used to have fun” this is somewhere in between a question and a statement. I push it toward him, fearfully. He nods, his lips only slightly curving. I smile back, and we share a moment of getting back the appreciation we might have lost for each other.

I do remember. I remember a time when Roderick and I were closer. We would be together, constantly. We were inseparable. This was a time I could have called him my best friend.

I've been so busy being resentful about my brother changing, that I didn't realise, I have too.

There was a time, it seems to long ago now, when I was carefree. I was a happy child, full of wonder at the world. Seeing the beauty in everything, that was what I did best. Now I must be pushed to see anything as beautiful. The world has revealed itself as a cold, torturous place.

In the process of shutting the cold world out, I've shut out someone who really didn't deserve to be pushed away. I scrunch my eyes up, trying to rid myself of all of this weak emotion.

Flint's right, we have a big day tomorrow” I turn away and head for the door

And Rookery” I turn to see his face is quite serious, and I swallow hard.

Yes?” I see the seriousness disappear and he begins to smirk.

Try not to fall over on your way” I smirk back, feeling lighter than I had but a moment ago.

As I make my way to the cellar, I keep smiling. My mind is cast back to the years before my fathers death. I hadn't noticed at all, how much I missed Roderick. He'd been such a good friend to me.







© 2012 Beck Louise


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

nicely done :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


Another amazing story from you. You truly take the reader there as you write your stories.

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

287 Views
2 Reviews
Added on December 5, 2012
Last Updated on December 5, 2012
Tags: vampire, horror, hunting


Author

Beck Louise
Beck Louise

United Kingdom



About
I'm Beck. I'm a writer focusing on women's fictions, drama, and historical romance. I am active on this platform again as of March 2023, so please send any read requests and I will make sure I ge.. more..

Writing