Steam from My Cup

Steam from My Cup

A Poem by Rita L. Sev
"

This morning's solitude

"
The morning sunlight
stretches out,
harbinger of a new day

The steam from my cup
reaches upward,
a beacon of nebulous grey 

These quiet moments
defog my mind,
prepare me, come what may

Sunlight and steam 
evaporate with the calm;
time to make my way.

© 2013 Rita L. Sev


Author's Note

Rita L. Sev
This morning, as I was sipping my coffee before the start of the school day, the Art teacher commented that she could see the steam from my cup shimmering in the sunlight. I told her that she should draw the image - and I'd write a poem about it.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Awesome, it's good you get that moment of quiet time to start your day. I usually use every second i have to sleep sleep sleep.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

9 Years Ago

I am an early riser, and I love the morning in school before the kids come in to help me get "in the.. read more
How you can make the simplest things into beautiful works of art, my friend.
I love this piece. It would go beautifully in my daughter's kitchen, with it's coffee-themed decor...
Don't you ever put that pen down, Hun.
I say agian...you are destined for greatness!!

Posted 10 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

10 Years Ago

What a sweet thing to say - thank you, sincerely, Angel! This piece really was the result of that mo.. read more
A lovely piece thank you for sharing it. This poem prooves that you can create beauty from the small moments as well as those full of Sturm und Drang. I like to read poetry aloud and the aliteration to begin the final stanza creates a slowed pace indicative of the evaporation about to come. Nicely structured. I also like the image of the morning sunlight stretching out, much like a morning stretch after arising from bed.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

10 Years Ago

Thank you so much for your kind review, Steve. I love to find the poetry in the commonplace; our Ar.. read more
Rita, this poem would definitely wake me up. This was beautiful, engaging and enchanting. Thank you so much for sharing your morning with all of us.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

10 Years Ago

Thanks, Jack - those morning moments are my sanctuary; I'm glad to let you in!
Tea or Coffee?
I feel this nicely. It is an upper for me in the form of caffeine. It is beautiful the way this simply flows and just gives me a good feeling, like I might conquer this day. I will be sure to read this in the morning, give me a pick me up before I start my day. What can't you write about my dear? Seriously this and Derby Day are examples to your versatile poetic ability. Very nice art.
Sincerely
Christopher

Posted 10 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

10 Years Ago

Thank you so much, Christopher! I really enjoy finding the poems that are all around us. :)
and write a poem you did....splendid descriptive imagery and made me want to put down my beer and go put on a pot of coffee.................nah! it's miller time!

Posted 10 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

10 Years Ago

Ha! Keep the beer at this hour - but enjoy your coffee and quiet in the morning! Thanks, Quin!
quinfinn

10 Years Ago

that's the plan! you are welcome....
Methinks I see another pea! Ha!

Posted 10 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

10 Years Ago

:) Thanks, Angi! (Oh, and the Art teacher did indeed do a drawing...)
Beautiful words to start a new day, love this poem. thanks for sharing this stunning piece.

Posted 11 Years Ago


A beautiful poem. Good coffee and quiet time. Best part of a day. Thank you for sharing the excellent poetry.
Coyote

Posted 11 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

11 Years Ago

Thank you. Yes, that morning calm is much needed! Appreciate your review!

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1719 Views
15 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 3, 2013
Last Updated on April 3, 2013

Author

Rita L. Sev
Rita L. Sev

Philadelphia, PA



About
PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE "FRIENDING" ME: I am happy to be sharing my poems (and occasional stories) and thrilled to be reading fellow authors. About Friend Requests - It is wise to READ some of .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..