Making the Cut

Making the Cut

A Poem by Rita L. Sev
"

Life is full of games

"

Who makes the cut

in this pitiless sport?

 

Is the criteria

of the shallowest sort?

 

Is the judgment of talent,

perhaps players’ resolve,

 

or unknown potential

that’s bound to evolve?

 

In this harsh competition

of unwilling contenders,

 

the rules keep changing;

we are all offenders.

 

Weary of games

where no one’s victorious,

 

just soothing the egos

of the unduly vainglorious.

 

© 2013 Rita L. Sev


Author's Note

Rita L. Sev
Is this why "Life Coaches" have a job?

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Yes, the unwilling contenders are usually the ones that end up with life coaches when it's the rule breakers that need help. Good one Rita.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

10 Years Ago

Good point - Thanks, R&B
What's learned in sports is applied in life. However, I understand what you're saying here. Some things in sports aren't fair and neither is it fair in life. You have drawn the parallel. I am a high school lacrosse coach and I have 2 sons who are on duel athletic/academic scholarships in college. Believe me, through my years, I have seen a lot of the unfair and unjust in sports and in life.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

10 Years Ago

Amen - thanks for your insights on this, Damien.
this is why so few are successful players. whether in sports or in real time, all are subject to unimaginable scrutiny and judgment. humane is a wonderful concept, in theory, in principle and as a point of fact....a myth. well penned!

Posted 10 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

10 Years Ago

Thank you. Success in sports is easy to assess - in real Life, the prize is different for everyone.... read more
"Harsh Competition" ... "Unwilling Contenders"
Loved the connection with those two phrases. It's funny, because that almost describes life in a nutshell. Life and sports are very synonymous and I enjoyed the parallel you created. It's the reason humans are addicted to sports, in my opinion. The competition, the excitement, the disappointment, the egos... make up the story of life itself.

Loved this - fav.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

10 Years Ago

Thank you, Cyntax! A good point about human addiction to sports. It's so easy to get caught up in th.. read more
Deuces

10 Years Ago

True. A lot of times there is no next season :)
No, well maybe, but not exclusively.
Life coaches also help people with problems in their life they can't deal with on their own. People like me =-)
This is a great piece. Superb flow and meaning. This has many meanings though that could apply to this and I like that about it. I see as it could be a generalized description of life, an actual sport, even the flame wars that go on here and the review process as well Etc. There is a great amount of description and elegant smooth easy to follow flow. In all my above mentioned contexts I believe this piece is very good and embodying of the potential within all said contexts. I love it.

"Is the judgment of talent,
perhaps players’ resolve,

or unknown potential
that’s bound to evolve?"

These two stanzas were my favorite. They are ever descriptive of those who compete and may not be up to the challenge but push on anyway. As if to say is there not beauty in their determination, being my own person of mediocre talent and yet I still keep spewing. Well I must say as usual never a disappointment and always a pleasure to enjoy.
Sincerely
Christopher
100/100

Posted 10 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

10 Years Ago

Thank you, Chris - you got it right on. Life is a game, and every facet therein is its own competiti.. read more
unsavable_soul

10 Years Ago

Most inspiring,
I always enjoy your reads, they almost never fail to put me in a better mood... read more
Hahaha. This topic has always been of great interest to me. I confess, I am a naturally inclined athlete. However, it drives me nuts when kids get left on the bench because coaches just want to win. It's a GAME for god's sake. My husband on the other hand, is not an athlete at all. But he LOVES sports. And he has the WORST sportmanship I've ever seen. In fact I refuse to watch games with him.

So short answer, Yes, this is why life coaches have a job. Some people just don't understand that its a GAME!!!!

Nicely penned by the way :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

10 Years Ago

Ha! Being from Philly, I know a thing or two about poor sportsmanship! :) But in the game of Life, .. read more
If life is a game, who in the bloody hell wrote the rules? Because that is one twisted fellah. I digress; very nice poem. I like how you're always questioning the issue rather than outright just showing the problems. You make me want to investigate them myself by using this questioning, and it certainly engages me as a reader. It flows very nicely, and this is another very nice Rita piece. Keep it up :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

10 Years Ago

Thank you, Will. I think we write the rules ourselves, but show no one the book - and then change th.. read more
very well written piece . i liked the metaphorical representations of sports to average life .

Posted 10 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

10 Years Ago

Thank you! In Life, we have to learn to play fair.
Layin' it out and breakin' it down! (Also makes sense the other way round.)
What can I say?--this piece is its own review.
Keenly insightful work, Rita!

Posted 10 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

10 Years Ago

Thank you, Frank! Much appreciated.
I wish I had a life coach, Rita. Thoughtful, well-crafted, little piece.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

10 Years Ago

Thank you, Diego! I appreciate your review.

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

331 Views
18 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on May 15, 2013
Last Updated on May 16, 2013

Author

Rita L. Sev
Rita L. Sev

Philadelphia, PA



About
PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE "FRIENDING" ME: I am happy to be sharing my poems (and occasional stories) and thrilled to be reading fellow authors. About Friend Requests - It is wise to READ some of .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..