What I Do Not Love About You...

What I Do Not Love About You...

A Poem by Rita L. Sev
"

An unlove poem

"

A gentleman in the bakery

          with a racing form in the back pocket

          of his faded jeans

 

stopped me short

 

And simple recollections gathered

behind my dry-out-in-public eyes

 

~ Sunday morning diner breakfasts

~ silly songs you’d sing

~ dancing to Daddy’s Little Girl

 

Warmed on this cold autumn morning

          to the point of burn

 

I loved everything about you, but

 

…I do not love

          missing you…

© 2013 Rita L. Sev


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

You have taken some simple phrases, twisted them, wrung them out, and collected every drop of emotion and poignancy that could be derived from them. The closing five lines are near-devastatingly emotional, especially in how the previous images and sentiments culminate in them. This is a sad and cathartic piece by your standards, but one of your most powerful for that same reason. Great work my friend.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

10 Years Ago

Thank you for your thoughtful insights, K. I walk this path rarely, but when it beckons I must follo.. read more
So sad Rita, but some wonderful memories that you can carry with you forever.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

10 Years Ago

True, and I do feel their warmth... thank you, Jack.
The more you love them the harder it is...a sweet one indeed Rita but you have a lot of nice memories:)

Posted 10 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

10 Years Ago

I am so blessed to have these memories, you are right, Rose. Thank you.
((((Rita))))) this one found its way into my heart and soul. We will always be "daddy's little girl" no matter how old we are and anything can bring back a memory. The warmth of your love and the pain of your loss is expressed so beautifully in this poem. lydi**

Posted 10 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

10 Years Ago

Thank you, Lydi...
It is never fun missing someone... and those memories are so bittersweet.
a very well done poem.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

10 Years Ago

Thank you, Dale.
This brought a tear to my eye. Oh, how I miss being "Daddy's Little Girl"...
Sweet, sad, lovely poem, my friend...

Posted 10 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

10 Years Ago

Thank you, Angel... yes, that's a great position to be, but so hard to lose...
Oh it's so unsettling when that happens, something out of the blue and wham, you're back there again, good memories, and bittersweet reverie, great job at an un-love poem Rita, but it's all about love, isn't it?

Posted 10 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

10 Years Ago

Yes, indeed it is, Frieda. I recall that, on the day my father died, my brother said "The thing tha.. read more
Your poem pulls at my heart strings, Rita. I lost my Dad not quite five years ago and I can't tell you how often I see a man who even slightly resembles him, and I have to look again to see that, no, it's not he but someone who just looks a little like him. And once again I feel the loss and the sadness. Will it ever be any different, I have no idea. So I know precisely what you are speaking of and admire the way you have captured it. Very well done.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

10 Years Ago

Thank you, Joyce. It is a hole in the heart that cannot be filled...
It is so very difficult when we have these "smack me in the face" reminders of someone from the past! This is very good Rita! I am sorry for the loss and the reminders that let us know how very painful it is for you!!

Is this about your dear Dad? You mention dancing to Daddy's Little Girl so it makes me wonder - though it could be a lost boyfriend too. Your pain certainly is evident!!

Posted 10 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

10 Years Ago

Thank you so much, Sheila. Yes, as most of my poems that deal with loss, this is about my Dad. We w.. read more
Interesting story and images. Good poem.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

10 Years Ago

Thanks, Mark.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

546 Views
24 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on October 27, 2013
Last Updated on October 27, 2013

Author

Rita L. Sev
Rita L. Sev

Philadelphia, PA



About
PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE "FRIENDING" ME: I am happy to be sharing my poems (and occasional stories) and thrilled to be reading fellow authors. About Friend Requests - It is wise to READ some of .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..