Schoolday Memories

Schoolday Memories

A Poem by Rita L. Sev
"

<>

"

I went to school for many years

(That’s why I am so clever)

And memories of teachers past

Will stay with me forever

It’s not so much the lessons

That have lingered all these years,

But which instructors taught with love

And which ones ruled with fear...

 

© 2014 Rita L. Sev


Author's Note

Rita L. Sev
Just a thought as the school year starts to wind down...

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

But which instructors taught with love
And which ones ruled with fear...

Well you know what side I fall on. Wonderful write, Rita.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

9 Years Ago

:) Thanks, Pryde.
my goal as an elementary teacher in the future is to be remembered as I remember my own elementary teachers. I love this poem. It brought back many memories for me.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

9 Years Ago

Best career choice ever! As a teacher, you are always part of their memories... Thanks, Brittany.
Yes, it's so true...and when I remember my own 4th grade experience I am extra kind to my students. Some teach using Machiavelli's The Prince as a handbook but oh those teachers who brought light in the classroom, they are remembered forever because they are the ones who truly make a difference.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

9 Years Ago

Recalling all of my teachers makes me the teacher I am; some taught through example, and some throug.. read more
Reminds me of my kindergarten teacher. Sometimes I wonder if I would recognize her if I saw her on the street. This piece was short but touching :) Nicely penned!
-QuanaWana

Posted 9 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

9 Years Ago

If she had an impact on you, good or bad, you'd know her... Thanks, Shaquana.
A wonderful poem and message. Rule with example and love not with fear and intimidation. I totally agree. ...:).......

Posted 9 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

9 Years Ago

Thank you, Sami!
Sami Khalil

9 Years Ago

You are welcome...:).......
Good and bad, you never forget. The best ones, however, live on in you.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

9 Years Ago

That is my hope.. Thanks, Rachelle!
Makes me think of the kids last night and the many teachers :) It was the Awanas awards think that's how ya spell it. That really made me smile seeing the kids in all. I was never part of anything but I do have some story to tell in all this, Back in my time we had R-A meetings I hated it and a old pastor knew it, He was a former pastor and was in study that wensday night, come here he said. You don't care much for R-A do you he asked I said nope!!! I was never much on things myself as a kid he said. We talked a long time listen to a ball game drank a pop together, he said from now on on a wensday night you can come here to hide lol. I learn a lot about Christ:) Some things ya don't forget.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

9 Years Ago

That's so true, Jon - that there are some things we never forget. Thank you for your insights here!
0000000000000000000000000000

9 Years Ago

Smilessssssssssssssss welcome Sister Rita
This one makes me think of many of the high school teachers I had. A retired chemistry professor from Buffalo University was a teacher at my school. He was quite intimidating, made it seem like he was a teacher who ruled by fear, then we would show us a softer side. Probably one of the most interesting I had.

Then there was my English teacher who had us act out the sword fight from Romeo and Juliet with real Swords. He also had us stand on our desks, like the scene from Dead Poets society.

Anyway, I really liked this one. I liked the musings between the ones who taught with love, and the ones who taught with fear. I hope the rest of the school year goes well for you.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

10 Years Ago

Hi, Christian - great to see you! That English teacher sounds awesome - certainly memorable! Thanks.. read more
Clockwork

10 Years Ago

Good to see you too, Rita. He really was!
so true ..love the theme and rhythm and rhyme .. you are very good at it .. not easy for me to do .. your poem has sparked memories for sure .. i grew up in a Catholic School so those ruling with fear were many which made those that did not all the more like Cinderellas and Snow Whites .. then in high school i went to be taught be the "Brothers" and i will tell you ..they were not my brothers .. they were all fear mongers and did not hesitate to rule with the dread Brother Dominik's "paddle" ... a hand crafted weapon that whistled through the air when wielded .. the good Brother D had drilled holes in it to "..cut down on wind resistance" .. i never received such a punishment but several of my classmates did .. very traumatic for the whole class .. you know i love your stuff Rita .. always uplifting!
E.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

10 Years Ago

E, that is very similar to my experience - Catholic school, the nuns... but there were some who were.. read more
Einstein Noodle

10 Years Ago

yes .. i had a big crush on Sister Mary Theorella, a true angel (3rd grade) and Mrs. Graff in 4th gr.. read more
I have such memories too, although It seems to me I was always afraid of my teachers. But I think that was me, not them.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

10 Years Ago

I was a shy kid, so I was easily afraid, but there were some wonderful teachers who knew how to reac.. read more

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

410 Views
14 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on May 12, 2014
Last Updated on May 12, 2014

Author

Rita L. Sev
Rita L. Sev

Philadelphia, PA



About
PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE "FRIENDING" ME: I am happy to be sharing my poems (and occasional stories) and thrilled to be reading fellow authors. About Friend Requests - It is wise to READ some of .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


The Voyage The Voyage

A Poem by s y e


Dust Dust

A Poem by Rita L. Sev