Chiaroscuro

Chiaroscuro

A Poem by Rita L. Sev
"

~~~

"

Knock knock.

 

          Who’s there?


 

It’s Death.

 

I’ve come

for your very last breath…

© 2014 Rita L. Sev


Author's Note

Rita L. Sev
Get it? ;)

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

there are so many marvelous examples in art ... leave it to Rita to paint it in a poem ... i see myself answering "Who’s there? " while looking through the peep hole and making sure the chain is bolted .. do you think that will stop him?? ;)
E.

Posted 9 Years Ago


The shades of light and the dark play in the shadows. Who shall answer that knock...not I.
Chiaroscuro was the name of the rat in Despereaux who didn't want to live in the dark of the dungeon but would never really be accepted in the light. I like your shaded meaning.

Posted 9 Years Ago


I've read all the reviews, and I can't improve on this. Your point is well made in a very few words.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Witty but with seriousness of death, creative and relevant. A good concept and poem...:)...........

Posted 9 Years Ago


I'm keeping the door closed


Posted 9 Years Ago


Okay that is it, I am never answering the door again. a very witty poem in such simple words.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

9 Years Ago

Lol! Thanks, Dale.
The Rock And Roll Cowboy(REBEL WITH A CAUSE)

9 Years Ago

You are welcome :)
Took a minute. Chiaroscuro, contrast of light and dark, knock knock jokes are light, death is dark.

Not fully getting the italics vs. bold. Is that showing light vs dark as italics vs bold?
Italics vs. bold made me think one person said the italics and the other the bold - but that's not true - because death said knock knock right?

I love the word Chiaroscuro, the concept is witty, I think it could be improved with some futzing of the formatting or maybe even another line or two like "... death who?" - but death doesn't play along and continues with your last line. Or not. Your poem your decision.

Posted 9 Years Ago


C. Rose

9 Years Ago

It might not give away too much to have "Knock Knock" be bold.
C. Rose

9 Years Ago

Is "who's there" both bold and italic now?
C. Rose

9 Years Ago

And I changed my mind. 4 lines is good. While you could add more of the classic back and forth knock.. read more
yes, get it...
the lightness of the knock knock joke, the darkness of who it actually is and that it is sooner or later going to happen.

better look through the peephole before opening that door.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

9 Years Ago

Good advice... hope he doesn't sneak in through the back... Thanks, Jacob.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

746 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 7, 2014
Last Updated on June 7, 2014

Author

Rita L. Sev
Rita L. Sev

Philadelphia, PA



About
PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE "FRIENDING" ME: I am happy to be sharing my poems (and occasional stories) and thrilled to be reading fellow authors. About Friend Requests - It is wise to READ some of .. more..

Writing