Lily of the Valley

Lily of the Valley

A Story by Roary

There was something stranger then strange and more awful then not on that day…yes that day, you know the day I am talking about and do not be so coy as if to act unaware or aloof about what happened.  You are not so clever and I am not so kind as to let you forget the workings of it. I was just a puppet and despite your claim to innocence, I know what you are now. I watched from below as you pulled my strings, and I danced for the first time ever. I had never fathomed such restlessness or lack of ambition even for a moment but you brought it and then it was gone.  All these things from a four poster bed in a four blocked town in the middle of Athens, Georgia.

We sat on fences and chucked rocks, but you were smarter then I was. You spoke of transcending the ages like it was impossible but the knowledge you had, made you know better, forced you. Did it force your hand to?  Or was that something that was more my style? I did love her, just so you know..it was never a lie or something said in anger to keep you tasting the sours of your deceit.

Sleep walking but not, walking in a never ending winter of dreams in a parallel land nothing and everything like our own. This I believed was impossible, or I felt I knew it to be and yet I know you did it! I can’t explain it any other way and from that crocodile smile. I know you know better as well. The last few days you spoke of flowers, and when she came to me she spoke of the same azure blue lilies, but unlike your blessing she spoke of it as haunting. The flowers that feasted on ones soul showing your fate and fortune with every drop of dew that fell. You cursed her to know the end and then you blessed her to believe that she would live.

Weeks passed and that Azure blue frosted over to a forbidden winter, never to show it’s secrets again, never to be touched or caressed with warmth. The beauty lasted forever now in a frosted slumber and this you believed was quite beautiful, but for her the only thing of beauty was that which could breath and every day in the garden the frost began to attempt to crawl her toes and then her legs as if to keep her for it’s collection. You saw it happen, the garden found the missing flower and yet you did not stop it.

You were like the snow in your cold amusement but she was warm breath passing through and in it’s loneliness and solitude the garden reached out. She no longer spoke of the flowers she dreamed of to me, but she rarely spoke of anything now a days. You brought her there, I cannot convict a felon of your caliber but your desire had made you sick. In my arms the cold of her soul was chilling me and I could not warm the sinking eyes that grew heavier by the day.

The last time I saw you as we sat on the fence you said you saw the way in your dream last night you said you could lead her from the winter . I was a fool you see, a petty fool trying to be the hero, but isn’t that every man’s outlandish fantasy that carried over from childhood. I listened to your words and I believed them and on your fence, I was stricken as you walked me to her and led me to bring her to you. I danced heartily like the hanged man who had yet to see his noose. She was led away with you and I let you speak as you touched her face as if to give her hope but if I had seen the paling of her skin, I would have known it was not the truth you had told. As she drew away you called her the name I remember well , ‘Lilly of the valley’ but as she left your hands it was in my arms she consoled herself and this you could not stand , I know it to be true by the indifference in your eyes.

 

As we laid to sleep that night I prayed for the first time that God would keep her soul with me but praying is for fools when pushed against the evils in this world. She seemed stagnant as she laid and I wrapped my arms so tightly I thought I might purge her of all air. We slept and in my mind I saw it for the first time in the way they described it , the blue azure ocean of flowers, but the deathly winter they spoke of had only grown worse  than any of their words could have described. I walked through the valley and there she was frozen stiff on the floor, as the winter ravished her and consumed her greedily for the moments warmth she had left. As I drew closer I knew why you could not bear to stop as by her body you laid encased only as a victim of association, your hand linked with hers . Fool you were to think I wouldn’t know it , fool you were to think I would stand those eyes on the precious girl.  You had made me pull her to you and now she was beside you. I leaned before my frozen bride but a kiss did not break the spell as I was no prince and a lovely maid was no longer in sight. The ice shattered and with it so did you both.

 It fell away like a horrible haze as I woke up in my bed. She on the left and you on the floor, cold as the ice I had broke you from.  Lilly of the valley, the flower you named for her and in your summer dreams you lived, but the brightest summer can only be followed by the harshest winter. In that winter I lost you both and in the malice of my anguish, I saved two sinners from a moral sin and committed myself to two in your name.


© 2011 Roary


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Beautiful chapter..

Posted 12 Years Ago


amazing






Posted 12 Years Ago


amazing






Posted 12 Years Ago


amazing






Posted 12 Years Ago


amazing






Posted 12 Years Ago


amazing






Posted 12 Years Ago


amazing






Posted 12 Years Ago


amazing






Posted 12 Years Ago


amazing






Posted 12 Years Ago


amazing






Posted 12 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe

Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Stats

375 Views
20 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 11, 2011
Last Updated on December 29, 2011

Author

Roary
Roary

huntsville, TX



About
Little bit sweet Little bit twisted Could check it out but the items not listed You could keep it in boxes Or wrap it in paper Peg it with needles Or still it with the stapler Might love it i.. more..

Writing
Seeing Through Seeing Through

A Poem by Roary



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Them. Them.

A Poem by Steve(: