Diary  Mad Man

Diary Mad Man

A Story by Ryan

Diary of a Mad Man

Entry 1

 

  July 2, 2016- The day was whisking away as I was lounging on the balcony of my small apartment racking my brain to figure out how I could spend the day. Coming up with nothing I trudged back inside as it was already getting too hot to stay outdoors. As I was looking around the apartment I couldn’t help but notice how utterly plain and dull the small one bedroom one bath apartment really was. That’s when a good idea hit me! I’ll journey around town and see if I could get my hands on some interesting decorations from some garage sales to hopefully bring a little life to this otherwise lifeless living space! Spurred by the excitement I quickly got dressed and hopped into the car. Remembering a sign that advertised a garage sale in a neighborhood not too far away, I decided that it was going to be my first stop. The first garage sale had quite an impressive array of random stuff sprawled out across the driveway and when I got out of the car to take a look I wasn’t disappointed. After acquiring two posters, a nice painting of a fishing boat, and a small somewhat ornate book shelf I asked the lady in charge of this particular stop apart of a hopefully exciting excursion if they knew anyone else having a garage sale.

     Fortunately they were able to point me towards another neighborhood that had them often. But that is where my good fortune stopped, the next two garage sales had nothing of interest and by this time it was already around three in the afternoon. After some debate I decided to go to a neighborhood that I knew of that often had something going on. The area was a little far away but I decided to go there hoping there was something going on and make that my last sojourn which I was thusly rewarded for. When I got to the area there was a bright yellow poster advertising a yard sale. Rather intrigued by the poster my spirits were lifted because why would they have such an eye catching poster if not to have such eye catching items for sale? The house was pretty easy to find for it was quite different than the houses around it. The house was of the old Victorian style the yard was well kept but the house still maintained an old rustic look to it.

  Curiosity aroused I walked up to the driveway and was pleased with what lay before me there were many interesting antiques out. There were a couple of old and decorative rocking chairs, a cabinet of some kind that had a western like yellow, green, and brown design to it, an old tea set that looked like it belonged in the 30’s and quite a variety of other interesting and miscellaneous things. I quickly said high to the owners of the house and continued to browse the wares and that’s when I caught sight of something very strange out of the corner of my eye. It was a rather vivid small tabletop statue of what seemed to be a dragon, gargoyle type creature sitting on its hind legs and holding a deep red glass ball in its claws, the sunlight reflected and fractured into it brilliant colors and seemingly strange patterns. There was also a distinctive feel that the glass ball gave off as it having an intense unfathomable depth to it that you could almost get lost in. The overall detail of the statue was striking and crisp and the condition was rather remarkable. I jumped as the owner spoke to me not realizing they had noticed me looking at the statue and had made their way over to me. They were very enthusiastic about the statue and seemed rather keen to sell it away. I asked the price and when they told me it was only five dollars I was immediately sold on it. I looked around the yard sale a little more but being happy with such an intriguing find in the statue I put it away in my car and drove for home. When I got home I put up the posters and picture and set up the bookshelf putting the statue on top of it, I felt pretty satisfied with how the day went and with the fact that my apartment wasn’t quite so boring as it was before.

  It is rather strange though as I am sitting at my computer writing this entry I can’t help but feel that the statue has some strange presence to it as I feel oddly aware of it. I also can’t help but be somewhat entranced by the glass orb it holds, whenever I look at it the light seems to shift and I am yet again knowledgeable of some strange depth that I can’t understand but somehow feel. But I digress I suppose I am only getting this feeling because it is something new and if I do say so myself rather beautiful. Now as it is getting late I will sign off for now and perhaps make it somewhat of a hobby to go to more garage sales in the future it was quite entertaining but we shall see.

© 2016 Ryan


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

96 Views
Added on July 5, 2016
Last Updated on July 5, 2016

Author

Ryan
Ryan

Writing
Journey Journey

A Story by Ryan


Mountain Mountain

A Poem by Ryan


Aurora Borealis Aurora Borealis

A Poem by Ryan