Out of Park- Billy's Awakening

Out of Park- Billy's Awakening

A Chapter by Spencer Barker

Bark! Bark!

The neighbor’s dogs stood, their fence drenched in the dew of a late nights rain. Their eyes gleamed the moonlight playing upon the streets sidewalk, suggesting their next move.

 A rumbling engine, the washing machine in the house on the end of the block, carted off the main road onto the small private driveway of Ridgewood, its headlights shining through the drapes of all who sleep and all who dream. Vroom vroom, shuttered the red corvette, now circling around the hedge. Headlights played the soft song of a carnival, glancing from house to house. Why this ruckus didn’t wake the children, pets, adults of these homes, no one knows. But one child. One curious, sneaky child.

              

Billy woke with a start; his eyes swam with the dew that had acclaimed to the fence restricting the dogs. What was it that woke him? With such a quiet night, not even the crickets, not even the frogs of the pond could take this up. Getting out of bed, he tripped over a stack of magazines: National Geographic Kids. If Billy truly cared about them, you would have thought of him to pick them back up in the neat stack they were already in. But no.

“Ouchy” he said, the stack cascading down onto rugged floor. He waved past them, gasping in breath as he saw the sight down in front of his house: A red corvette pulled up, engine revving, the dark hood of a driver looking up into Billy’s eye. Billy took a double take, sure he saw a glint from the eye of the driver.


Boom, and the car was off. The tires waring along the edges as it went, screaming to wake the neighbors with its high load. And with this Billy said, “Cool!”



© 2016 Spencer Barker


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

137 Views
Added on March 30, 2016
Last Updated on March 30, 2016
Tags: Horror, Cars, Writing, Book, Terror, Survival