Into First Gear- Watch Out For Billy

Into First Gear- Watch Out For Billy

A Chapter by Spencer Barker

One hundred percent swam across the driver’s test slip, all in glossy red, just like Billy’s new car he was not aware of, yet. A grin spread across his face the moment he emerged through the solitary government doors into the small crowd of onlookers- his family.


“And?” his Mother asked, a hopeful, cheering spirit wishing to rip through her skin like the monster of the night.


“Yep” was all he had to say and his family came to him, hugs and kisses all around. It was the happiest day of his life and to celebrate: a ride.


Backing into the driveway, his Mother jumped out just as soon as the car stopped (had it?). Too late. She was off and running into the house. Her summer dress swayed around her, the breeze coming and going, and she was gone. She was back in less than a second (almost) and had something tremendously shiny in her hands. She gave up trying to withhold her smile and let it free. She couldn’t hold it any longer! “Here you go, sweetie. Congratulations!”


The Corvette emblem shined in Billy’s face, making it look like he had been smothered in butterscotch. He couldn’t believe it; finally he had gotten his wish. But where was the car?


Vrooom Vrooom came the car down the road. The sun played off it, showing the true beauty of what held in front of Billy’s eyes.


It was blue.


Not red.


It thundered into the driveway. His father stepped out and greeted his son with a big smile. “Oh son, isn’t it pretty?”


“Yeah, thanks Dad.” But he didn’t think it was pretty. It was blue, the color of the sea, the sky, and the color of his freakin’ toothpaste. He wanted red. He wanted red and it wasn’t. He wanted red, it was blue instead. It was blue and every time he looked at it, he realized his must have looked red himself since his father was watching him in true concern.


“Son, what’s wrong? Don’t you like it?”


“It isn’t the right color.” He must have turned exceptionally red, for his father’s eyes now grew with the heat they were looking at.


“Billy, I’m sorry. I just… your Mother and I thought that blue would be a nice color… and it goes with your eyes, after all.


“I don’t care if it goes with my eyes. I wanted red, not blue. I wanted red, not blue. I wanted red, the color of blood, not the blue, the color of my toothpaste.” Then he was off in a flash, into the car he went. His Father ran to the car pleading for him to get out, to talk, to hug his son, and tell him he was sorry, and they would re-paint the car. But it was too late. Billy rolled out of the driveway, backed up, hitting the neighbor’s garbage can as he went, and stormed down the road. A smile started to form at the very creases and worked its way to his ears. The road had his name on it and he was ready to roll. Watch out everyone. Billy has a new car and believe me, he's mad. 



© 2016 Spencer Barker


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

115 Views
Added on April 12, 2016
Last Updated on April 12, 2016
Tags: Horror, Cars, Writing, Book, Terror, Survival