Chapter 1: Somewhere between Bariston and Bridgeton (1547)

Chapter 1: Somewhere between Bariston and Bridgeton (1547)

A Chapter by Sabriel09
"

Describes what happened and the mysterious man she runs into at a tavern

"

The pounding of hooves was the only sound heard in the quiet Shurwood Forest. A young female elven vampire, with hair as black as night and skin as pale as the moon, rode on a beautiful white Percheron stallion. She looks to be eighteen but is really much older. Some call her the White Witch while others call her Ice Devil. Her name is Sabriel, with eyes the color of ice blue crystal. She runs day and night from the Royal Guards of Mundrago Country. They accuse her of being a witch because she was the only survivor of a plague that hit South Bariston. But that is another story and shall be told another time.

Sabriel has been running for three full moons. The villagers of North Bariston shunned her after the plague. Sabriel dreads coming encounter with strangers and enemies for they all want her head on a platter. The king, her father, was the one who ordered these charges.

Sabriel sleeps while riding Pegasus, her stallion. She only stops when she eats or needs to bathe. This night she decided to stop for a brandy and a bath. "Come Pegasus, faster. Run like the wind." Sabriel whispered as she leaned forward in her saddle. "Run 'til you can't run no more."

Pegasus picked up speed, making the trees around them flash by in a blur. Sabriel pulled the reins gently making Pegasus slow as they neared the gates of Bridgeton. She slid from the saddle, landing with a thud. She pulled her cloak around her shoulders and pulled her hood low over her head. Sabriel grabbed Pegasus' reins and let him into Bridgeton. 

She kept her eyes to the ground as she made her way towards the Harte Tavern/Inn. She tied Pegasus to a post , grabbed her Sword of Aeons and strapped that to her hip than her Longbow of Aeons and strapped that to her back. After making sure everything was in place, she slowly made her way up the tavern steps.

Upon entering, Sabriel nervously scanned the room. There were paintings of King Gerald, her father, on the walls, a bear rug in front of a fireplace with chairs and a couch to the left wall, a staircase in the back right of the room, a bar counter with stools tables and chairs just left of the staircase, and a clerk's desk to the right of the front door.

Sabriel walked to the bar and took a seat at the end of the bar. She pulled her hood back before nodding to the bartender, "I would like Brandy on the rocks, please."

"Yes, mistress," the bartender responded before turning to get the brandy.

A tall, handsome man in black breeches, that showed off his lean thighs and calves, and a white doublet with three buttons undone to show off his muscular chest, walked over to the bar and leaned against. He looked Sabriel up and down before speaking in a low husky voice. "Who may you be, m'lady?" He ran his index finger down her arm as he continued looking her over with familiarity in his eyes.

"My name is Celia," Sabriel lied as she laid a couple of coins on the bar for the bartender. "What's yours, m'lord?" She nervously took a sip of brandy as recognition went off in her head.

"My name is Hendrik. I'm the captan of the Royal Guards," He smirked a little bit, watching her reaction. "You like like the wench I'm looking for....I think her name is Sabriel."

Sabriel stiffened at the sound of her name, the glass resting on her bottom lip. 'That damned Hendrik! I knew father would send my one and only true love!' Sabriel thought to herself. "I beg your pardon but I do not know who your talking about. I have never heard of such a wench. Please excuse me sir, but I am rather tired and need rest for my journey ahead."

Standing, Sabriel placed a 100 gil on the counter before nodding to Hendrik and making her way towards the clerks desk. She rents a room than walks out to Pegasus grabbing her clothing sack and walking back inside. Ignoring Hendrik, Sabriel heads straight for the stairs.

Hendrik grabs Sabriel by the elbow as she gets to the stairs. "What's the big rush, miss?" He looked at her questioningly. "I was hoping we could sit and get to know each other more!"

"I'm tired and need rest, m'lord!" Sabriel snapped trying to pull away. "We can talk on the morrow before I leave."

Hendrik released Sabriel and watched her go upstairs before nodding to his men. At his nod, his men got into their positions and watches as Hendrik ascended the stairs.

******************

Once in the safety of her room, Sabriel locked the door and goes to the bathroom, stripping off her dust laddened clothing. She slides into the bathtub, groaning with relaxation as the warmth penetrates her sore muscles. "Ahh....tis nice to have a relax warm bath!" Sabriel sighed closing her eyes and leaning back in the tub.

"It sure is!" Hendrik answers while leaning against the door frame, a grin across his face.

Sabriel shrieks as she tries to hide shield her naked torso. "WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING HERE? HOW DID YOU GET IN, THE DOORS ARE LOCKED?"

Hendrik chuckles softly, watching her scramble for cover. "Learn to check your windows, wench. And like I said I want to get to know you more. You do look like my old beloved. Now hurry up so we can talk." He stalked out of the bathroom without a backwards glance, slamming the door behind him.

Sabriel gets out with a sigh of relief as she pulls the plug in the tub, draining it. Wrapping a towel around her torso, Sabriel steps out the tub and slowly walks into the main room. 'Men, they have no respect for women!' She thought angrily to herself, seeing Hendrik leaning against the wall.

"Aye, now we can talk, m'lord. What is it you want?" Sabriel snapped as she walked over to her clothing sack and pulls out a black leather jumpsuit. She glares at Hendrik before turning her back on him and dropping the towel to the ground. 

Hendrik watched the woman get dressed, lust filling his eyes before speaking. "Sabriel, you need not lie to me. I would be able to pick  you out from a crowd. Now come, I'm taking you back to your father."

She froze, undergarments resting in her hands. "What are you talking about?" She pulled her undergarments on, her heart pounding against her rib cage. "I told you that my name is Celia, not Sabriel."

Hendrik slammed a fist against the wall. "Oh stop with the lying! Like I said I could spot you in a crowd! Who could forget such a face?" He growled rubbing his knuckles. "Ever since you betrayed, I have not been able to get your face out of my mind."

Sabriel slides into her black leather jumpsuiting, zipping it up in the back, than grabs a black corset and puts that on, tying it nice and tight. "So you think I betrayed you? I had no other choice than to run out! You would have suffered too if we had married. Everyone would have harassed you for being with a 'witch'!" She snapped. "I loved you and still do, Hendrik! You know how I am! I am not giving up that easily."

Hendrik advanced towards her, his anger and love for this woman sky-rocketing. "Lies! You have always deceived me! And you will go to your father one way or another! I hate doing this because I love you so but it is for your own good! Now I realize that you are just another wench who lies to get her way!" He pinned her against the wall, his face inches from hers. He lefts out a gasp, his eyes widening as he feels pressure on his groin. "Hey, watch what your doing with that thing."

"Nay, I have no need to watch the things I do!" She presses the dagger a little harder. "Now, I will go with you, if you promise no harm will be done to me or my horse."

"Aye, no harm will be done to you unless you try to escape or kill us." Hendrik hisses loudly. "Now get that thing away from my groin!"

Sabriel grins in satisfaction as she slides the dagger back into her boot. She glances in Hendrik's direction before packing her things. "Now leave me so I can get ready for the long journey to my father's court."

As Hendrik leaves, he whispers something into a guard's ear before descending the stairs. The guard looks Sabriel from head to toe grinning to himself. 

Sabriel notices the guard grinnning at her. "Sir, may I shut the door a little bit so I can change into my riding clothes?"

The guard grunts and shuts the door leaving it open a crack. After he shuts the door, Sabriel quickly, but quietly, gathers her things, stapping her bow and sword into place. She makes for the window, opening it silently. She looks over the ledge than steps onto it, tossing her bag onto the roof. She grabs the top of the window frame, swinging herself into the air. Sabriel flips and lands with a soft thud on the roof, grabbing her bag.

Sabriel stealthily  moves towards the front of the tavern, her feet barely making a sound on the roof. She lays on her belly and looks over the ledge, noticing guards blocking the door. She turns slightly and slides down to the edge of the roof. She whistles for Pegasus, smirking at his reply whiney.

She glances over the ledge, seeing Pegasus, and flings her bag to the ground. She than grabs the ledge, flipping herself over and landing with a soft thud in Pegasus' saddle. As she grabs her bag from the ground, she digs her heels into Pegasus' side sending him sprinting into the forest. Sabriel smiles evilly to herself thinking of Hendrik's reaction.

Sabriel and Pegasus sped through the forest with out a backward glance to see if anyone followed.



© 2010 Sabriel09


Author's Note

Sabriel09
ignore errors and let me know if i need to change anything

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

The story is very good. All the characters are interesting and I like the tale so far. Description and detail kept me interesting in the plot. Conversation was enough to keep the pace of the story moving properly. A excellent chapter. I will read on.
Coyote

Posted 14 Years Ago


So i know it isn't the greatest story ever, so I would love i if you guys helped me fix mistakes.

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

302 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 5, 2009
Last Updated on January 11, 2010


Author

Sabriel09
Sabriel09

Hartley, IA



About
I like to read about vampires and romances. I am more into vampires but I like them even better it there is a romance involved. I am into anime as well. My favorite anime is Bleach. I am currently wri.. more..

Writing
My Heart My Heart

A Poem by Sabriel09


You are! You are!

A Poem by Sabriel09