Day Minus Two

Day Minus Two

A Chapter by SarahK

Carlton had always believed his sister to be the only other sane person in his own hellhole of a white bread suburban household. He felt now, as he watched her scrubbing enthusiastically by the bathroom sink, that his usually impeccable judgement had been somewhat misplaced.

“You realise you’re a dead woman, right? Like super ultra dead mega dead woman?” he politely enquired, wobbling slightly from his seat on the edge of the bathtub. “It’s a shame really. You always were my favourite twin sister. Do you think mom and dad will give me a day off school for your funeral?”

“Nah.”

“Eloquent to the end I see. A true loss to this world.” Elizabeth watched in the mirror with some measure of exasperation as her decidedly unhelpful womb twin clutched his heart dramatically and fell backwards into the empty tub. “Ouch! What song do you want to be played at your wake?”

“Anything by Adam Young will do,” she replied, once again engrossed in her attempts to scrub off the colour from the tips of her hair.

“Bloody hell, I refuse to sit through that. Here then, might as well help.” Carton hoisted himself up and over to the sink. “For goodness’ sake Lil, remind me once again why you thought dying your hair blue was a good idea?”

Her face fell, which, considering her expression was already pretty panicky, was somewhat impressive.

“It wasn’t supposed to stay like this!” she whisper-wailed “it’s temporary! At least that’s what Blair said!”

“Ah yes, the mythical Blair.”

“She wouldn’t be so mythical if you’d just come to meet her!”

“And risk getting caught by mom and dad? No thanks. While I support your teenage rebellion thing, I support it from afar. I was always more of a silent protest kind of guy.”

“Silent as in invisible, forgotten, practically imaginary, rotting away in your bedroom all day?”

He whacked her with a blue stained sponge as the pair scrubbed at her long blond tresses. “Hey, I’m studying remember? Got to get into Harvard, or Yale, or whichever university’s been highest ranked in the country this year.”

“You need to get out more.” Elizabeth elbowed his ribs in gentle retaliation.

Carlton chuckled “I’m just grateful they aren’t sending me on Mission.”

Elizabeth turned to face her brother, grimacing slightly. “You know, one day you’re actually going to have to retaliate right? We can’t always do what our parents want for the rest of-“

“Yeah, yeah I know,” he interrupted “But don’t you think it’s just so much easier to keep our mouths shut? Wait it out for another year or two? You’re eighteen, you won’t be around much longer. And you’d stop getting into stupid situations like these.” He gestured to the lock in his hand, which had faded from a violent cobalt to an almost fetching periwinkle.

“It’s just hair dye, Coco. It shouldn’t even be such a big deal.” Elizabeth scrutinized her reflection for a moment and came to the daring conclusion of: “Screw it. It looks good.”

Carlton sighed as she flounced out, spraying the tiles and mirror with tiny droplets of water and catching him in the process. Oh well. At least now their parents would have something to be mad about other than the B he got in Economics last week.



© 2018 SarahK


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Loved how the dialogue revealed much of Elizabeth and Carlton character. Can't wait to meet this "mythical Blair". Much praise.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Again, a really cool story and I can't wait to read more.

Posted 5 Years Ago


SarahK

5 Years Ago

You are so lovely, thank you very much
Nice , I like it it's amazing story .

Posted 5 Years Ago


SarahK

5 Years Ago

Thank you!!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

145 Views
3 Reviews
Added on June 13, 2018
Last Updated on June 13, 2018


Author

SarahK
SarahK

About
I have come across a lot of spare time recently and thus I have now a lot of time to focus on something that intrigued me when I was 13: Creative writing. I hope you enjoy. more..

Writing
Decisive Decisive

A Story by SarahK


Day Minus Three Day Minus Three

A Chapter by SarahK


Day Minus One Day Minus One

A Chapter by SarahK