Chapter 7

Chapter 7

A Chapter by Kloverfield

I went back to my room and changed.  Just as I was leaving, Mercy was passing in the hall.  She was wearing blue, and she smiled at me.  

"Did you find your way to Mother?" Mercy asked cheerfully.  

I nodded, not really all that happy to see her.  I wasn't all too happy with losing her in the crowd earlier.

"Oh, Etharnealis is looking for you.  He's waiting outside for you, last time I saw him," she told me.  

"Thanks."

"Are you still planning on protecting me?" I asked Ethan then I found him waiting for me at the door of the castle.  

He looked at me and nodded.  "Mother asked me to, and so I will."

"Then don't try to stop me,"I scolded him, stalking past him.  "We need to get Down Under, and fast.  We can't waste time.  Do you know a quick way?  Is it possible to get there back through the paint?"

Ethan shook his head. "The only way Down Under is through the paint, but we could ride there.  My brother, Ahkierro, watches over the barn."

I looked at him over my shoulder.  "There's a barn?"

Ethan nodded, then pointed off into the clouds that surrounded the castle.  "Over there.  It's huge, but you don't even know it's there until you're about to run into it.  The clouds are that thick, otherwise, the barn would be a terrible eyesore."

I raised an eyebrow.  "Okay…lead the way."

He took my hand and started off.

"Don't be afraid,"Ethan cautioned.  "There's nothing dangerous in the clouds, but don't come wandering here by yourself.  You could get lost here forever, or fall off the side of the Realm."

"Is the Realm flat?" I asked surprised.

Ethan chuckled.  "Extremely.  But it has many levels, like a cake, or a sky scraper."

I shook my head.  I couldn't imagine a flat place.  I liked outer space too much.

8. Outer Space

9. Stars

10. Constellations

"Here we are."

I looked around, but the only things I saw were clouds.  "Where?"

Ethan chuckled.  He reached his hand out into the cloud, and I could hear him knock.  A squeaky door opened, and Ethan pulled me inside a dark, clear, minty smelling barn.  After my eyes adjusted, I gasped.  The barn was huge.  I couldn't see the end of it.  The animals inside were fantastic, everything from tiny ants to colossal whales, from rainbow pixies to gem-like dragons.  

"Do you like it?" Ethan asked.

"Oh yeah."

"May I introduce you to my brother, Ahkierro."

I turned.  Ethan and Ahkierro stood side by side, nearly identical, except for Etharnealis was dissolving into the background.  They both had sandy blonde hair and light brown eyes.  I could see that Ahkierro was a man, while Ethan still had years to go.  Even their clothing was identical, loose tan shirts and cowhide pants.

I smiled politely.  "Pleasure to meet you.  I'm Aemy."

Ahkierro smiled in return.  He bowed quickly.  "So you want a steed to run to paint, eh?"

I nodded eagerly.  "Something fast."

He rushed off, checking a stall every once in a while.  "Ah, here they are."  Ethan and I caught up to him as he opened the stall door.  

Two very large yellow birds hopped out.  I gasped.

"Are those…?" I breathed.

Ahkierro nodded.  "Straight from Spira, or wherever they first appeared."

I grinned.  "I bet one of these chocobos is Theo's friend."  

One bird perked up.  "Did you say…Theo?"

I nodded and stepped up to him.  I looked up at him.  "He was your boy, wasn't he?"

The bird nodded vigorously.  "Did you know him?"

I smiled.  "He sat at the same table my girl did at lunch.  I've never seen you before.  Has it been… long… since you…?"  I was trying to be sensitive.

The chocobo shrugged.  I didn't know that was possible.  "I try not to think about it," it squeaked.  A smile burst onto my face.  Giant yellow squeaking chick-like birds are too adorable.

Ahkierro coughed.  "Well then.  This one's Enix,"he motioned to the one I had been talking to, "and the other's Lren.  She's uber shy, but she'll warm up to you.  Here, give her this."  He held out a humongous strawberry larger than his own head.

I took it and offered it to the skittish bird.  Lren eyed it and stepped closer.

"It's alright, isn't it?" she asked Ahkierro.  Her voice was beautiful.  It was rich and velvety, and the best way I can think of to explain it is as a thick maroon color.

Ahkierro nodded.  "Yes, of course it's alright."

Lren snapped it up and tore a chunk out of the berry.  After she swallowed, she said,"I guess you're okay, for a skinny child."

I bit my lip.  If I've learned anything from Love, it's when to keep my mouth shut.  Why wouldn't anyone just ignore the fact that I was so skinny and small and child-like?

Ahkierro smirked.  "Let me help you up."  He held out his hands for me to step up.

"Thanks."  I mounted quickly and pat Lren's head.

Ethan was up on Enix the next moment.  "Let's go, Aemy."

I smiled and nudged Lren.  "Let's beat those boys."

If birds could laugh, she did.  Well, I suppose that if something could talk, it could laugh, as well.  Lren raced out of the barn, through the fog, and over the castle courtyard before I could blink.

I yelled with exhilaration.  I've always been a speed demon.  No one could keep me tethered.

11. Speed

"Aemy!"  Ethan sounded so far away.  "Wait up!"

I turned to look over my shoulder.  Enix was dashing to catch up with Etahn flailing to grab the reigns on his back.

I laughed.  "I give no mercy to the slow!"

At that moment, my breath was knocked out of me, and I was lying on my face on a crumbling stone staircase.

"Expect no mercy," a chilling, rasping voice whispered next to my ear.

I rolled to my side, trying to breathe through my spasms.  I looked up through the shooting pain.  Knelling above me was a shadow, blocking out all light.

"Ah, my dear, don't be afraid.  I'm not anywhere near as frightening as my master."  The shadow stroked my cheek.  It was colder than that time Love got stuck in snow.  I shook from the overwhelming cold, emanating through my entire body from my cheek.

"Get away from her!" I heard Ethan yell.  I strained to look at him.  He looked to be brandishing a magnificently glowing sword.

The shadow laughed.  "I've seen you before.  Where is your gold armor?  Too heavy for you, sissy knight?"

I could hear Ethan begin to growl.  It grew gradually until he was roaring.  He hurtled towards us with his sword ready.

The shadow calmly placed his frigid hand on my shoulder and whispered.  "Ssenk radre tuo ot y tnuo bym dnaf lesymg nirb."



© 2011 Kloverfield


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

236 Views
Added on October 18, 2011
Last Updated on October 18, 2011


Author

Kloverfield
Kloverfield

ID



About
I am an avid dreamer, and the only thing between me and putting my dreams down on paper is having the time to write. I am dearly devoted to family, and most of my stories are about friendships. I am.. more..

Writing
Introduction Introduction

A Chapter by Kloverfield