Prologue

Prologue

A Chapter by Adam

          The pilot announced a small bit of turbulence over the intercom prompting several passengers to snort as they were pulled out of a noisy slumber to fasten their seatbelts.  I had noticed the plane shake a few times shortly after takeoff, and I had foreseen the announcement as I walked into the planes pit to take my seat, but of course…I had the abilities others did not.  I watched my reflection in the window shake as I tried to trace the features of my pale visage, ceasing for a moment to push a few strands of my hair that obscured my vision away.  We must have entered the confines of England because I could hear the small droplets of rain pound against the planes windowpanes.  London was close…I could feel the presence of my own kind close and that is how I knew.  I was home.

               

           About twenty minutes later we descended upon the airport and even from so close the lights of the city were astounding.  I could see the tower bridge, crawling with cars and double decked buses and, although I brushed it off as my imagination getting the best of me, I saw flickers of light below the plane on the landing platforms…but they weren’t landing lights…they didn’t sway back and forth in order to direct the pilot downward—they were merely flickering lights going as quick as they came.  The plane landed and the thanks of the pilot accompanied with the shuffle of exiting passengers pulled me from my contemplative state.  A surge of happiness rippled across my body, pulling the corners of my mouth up slightly as I stood—halfway at least because I was a bit too tall for the plane.  I exited the plane, righting myself to my full six foot eight inch span and allowed my nostrils to take in the stuffy, stale air of the boarding tunnel.  It was one of few awful smells in London but the memories of the smell of my mothers’ dinners distracted me from it all. 

 

As I glided down the boarding tunnel I felt the strong pressure my kind emitted.  It was then I knew my brother was waiting on me.  It had been so long since I had seen my brother in reality yet, in some aspects, I saw him in the mirror every morning.  We were identical twins after all.  I saw my exit before me and quickened my pace, stepping silently between those who walked slower than I to finally enter the less stuffy, yet equally stale smelling lobby.  There stood my doppelganger of a sibling grasping a sign between his slender, pale tendril-like fingers—sporting a sharp grin on his handsomely pale face.

 

                “Brother Ambrose!” He yelled at me as I walked into view.

 

                I grinned the same sharp grin he bored and walked quickly to him, wrapping my arms around his frame before letting him go and sighing.

 

                “I haven’t seen you in ages Aiden.  How is mother?”

 

                Aiden’s smile faded as I spoke of mother.  His mouth seemed to tremble with sadness and awkwardness, jaw set into a firm, disconcerting line as his arms went limp on either side of his torso.  He cleared his throat several times which made me uncomfortable.  Something was terribly wrong.

               Please No CSS

                “Ambrose…I tried to get in touch with you but never got through…something has happened and-“

 

 

                “What happened?” I cut him off in mid sentence, an aura of panic creeping over my body.  I studied his all too familiar features—searching for an answer—a smirk that suggested he was pulling my leg.  But his pale skin never rose to crease in a smile.  My eyes darted across his frame, the tenseness of his toned torso apparent between our bond as siblings both biologically and in the since of vampire brotherhood.  His hands were now clenched; head tilted downward creating a black curtain to veil the sadness in his eyes.  There was no need in hiding it from me that he was perturbed and upset but to every ‘man’ his own way of dealing with matters that were most human amongst us.  He spoke from beneath the curtain of hair.

 

 

                “A few weeks ago mother was in an accident…”

 

 

                I began to interrupt but he raised his hand to silence me, trembling with what emotion he dealt with.

 

 

                “Please Ambrose…just listen.  They broke the treaty…those dirty mongrels broke the pact we made so long ago.  Luca called it an aged peace that went frail with time.”  He trailed off.

 

 

                Luca was a name I knew well—knew and despised.  He was the oldest son of Mars and heir to his fathers’ title of pack leader once he died.  But, Luca couldn’t wait for Mars to be involved in an accident, what with the peace treaty the vampires and lycanthropes created there had been no war—only accidents.  Thus Luca was driven by greed and power to kill his father and blame it on my kind.  I knew better than that…and I knew that my family needed me, sharing the rights to our family’s title with Aiden it was my duty to be there just in case.  Apparently, I was too late.  My slender fingers curled into my palms, nails digging into the skin as I fought back both a surge of anger and despair.  Aiden continued.

 

 

                “Luca…blamed mother for Mars’ death, saying that she wanted to kill off the power of our enemy and slowly eat away at their population.  Being the pawns they are, every werewolf believed.”

 

 

                As Aiden continue his explanation my mind began to wander as I digressed into blackness, a misunderstanding of the circumstances.  Every werewolf?  Even Milla?  I couldn’t believe that…but I could only nod solemnly as my brother finished.

 

 

                There were no words spoken on the ride home, the silver Lexus acting as a tomb, suffocating every discussion before it began.  I stared out of the window, cold skin resting upon the glass as I watched the lights of London go by; The Clash’s London Calling playing low in the background.  When we reached our home, a sprawling estate on the vast ‘back lawns’ of the city, I exited the vehicle without a word to my brother and slowly walked across the cobblestone drive to the large, French style door.  I opened that wooden slab into the smell of vanilla and the soft light of candles.  Everything was so quiet, even the cats separated themselves from their usual mewing.  These things would have made me smile…if my mother were there to greet me as she always was.  This place was no longer home—I was a stranger to this place now.

 

 

                Aiden walked up behind me, pushing gently past and heading upstairs.  I heard his bedroom door close gently.  I sighed and took a place on the couch, the soft orange glow of the candles turning my pale skin into a tan gold.  I was attacked by thought now.

 

 

                “Home sweet Home.”



© 2008 Adam


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
hey
hey this is really great! i've hated the a lot vampire/werewolf stuff after twilight took off, but this is quite good. keep up the good work :]

Posted 15 Years Ago


I like how you opened this. Was pretty clean and visual. Again I am interested in the story. A good sign. Because typically the first few paragraphs is the deciding point. A lot of readers tend to draw away if the opening doesn't hook them. Nice work.

Posted 15 Years Ago


I like how you opened this. Was pretty clean and visual. Again I am interested in the story. A good sign. Because typically the first few paragraphs is the deciding point. A lot of readers tend to draw away if the opening doesn't hook them. Nice work.

Posted 15 Years Ago


its great, but then again i have a thing for vampire stories....
it reminds me of the Twilight series a bit.... those are amazing.

Posted 15 Years Ago


Wow, this is reallly good. this is almost like my story except the wereolf is the man, and the vampir half human is a vampires My story is called Nessie's Story, please read it if you get the chance. I hope your story gets published into a book, cus this story is beyond extrodinary.

Posted 15 Years Ago


I loved it the names are so cool, and I like the sound of the main character, keep going with this.

Posted 15 Years Ago


Really cool and interesting, I love it! Great imagery you practicly paint a picture. Excellent characters...they kinda stick with you.

Posted 15 Years Ago


I truly do like it and am very interested in where it is going
the only thing I would change is more detail but that is totally up to you
I like the plot so far
the read requests are in the share box at the top of the page by your writing
write more soon
=]:
zA~

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

253 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 22, 2008
Last Updated on August 25, 2008


Author

Adam
Adam

China Grove, NC



About
I'm a college freshman and have always had a passion for creative writing. Sometimes I stray from my norms and begin some sort of political satire but it never goes anywhere so I stick to my old pal .. more..

Writing
Four Four

A Book by Adam


Corpseflower Corpseflower

A Book by Adam


Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by Adam