One

One

A Chapter by Adam

                    A WEEK HAD PASSED SINCE MY ARRIVAL TO LONDON AND CONVERSATION between Aiden and I had been very slim.  I couldn’t expect anything more than that, for now at least, because we were all experiencing our own emotions and Aiden lived with mother all of his life.  I knew he was hit the hardest and in my head I couldn’t help but sympathize for him.  As I laid on my back staring into the olive colored ceiling I began to think more about the past week in depth.  It seemed as I got deeper and deeper into the detailed aspect of it all, the possible scenarios of death that could have transpired, I became overwhelmed with a looming grief—a monstrosity suckling on what bright concepts I lingered on.  So much was its thievery on my content outlook that I began to feel remorse for having been content at all about anything.  Optimism looked out of place now, felt like a sting of impudence on my mother’s memory and my brother’s feelings.

                It had come to my attention that—in my days as a vampire—I became more susceptible to apathy than anything else.  The normal human condition, the fear of death and time constraint, held no real importance in our lives.  This event now had been a mere incident in the threads of our existence as a whole.  But the personal aspect of this seemed to bring back the portion of Aiden and I that had once been human.  This was the time where we were most vulnerable to ourselves.  My sadness was something I didn’t want to bear, alone at least, so I sat up in my bed and extended my arms to release the tension that pooled around my spine with every intention to hit the town this night.  When I sat upright, I caught my reflection in one of the mirrors that lined my room.  I didn’t linger there long, but in the time I was there I noticed the contours of my face…my slightly sunken cheeks and the soft gray tones around my blue-gray eyes.  I found myself to be a hideous masterpiece.  I stood, not looking at the reflection of myself anymore, and walked out of the room in a velvet motion, leaving the soft scent of vanilla behind and entering the stuffy, opium scented main foyer.  What a change it had been since mother died.  Had she still been alive the whole house would have been doused in the scent of sandalwood.  Now, Aiden left her memory in the thick choking claws of the one drug that affected the vampire species.  I ceased my breathing, seeing as how I didn’t need it anyway, and entered into the sitting room where Aiden lay naked and wasted.

                “This is a fine way to mourn for her…bleeding Christ Aiden...There are better ways to deal with this like hav-“

                Aiden sat up and cut off my sentence quickly, the same shade of eyes as mine glaring back at me with the fury of a thousand fires.

                “Don’t preach to me…I uphold the rules of the coven…where as you would deal with your problems violently…taking revenge instead of taking leave from your elitist sophisticate stand point.  Now tell me, is taking the life of another living creature be it our enemy or not…a good way to mourn?”

                Admittedly he had a valid point; I never felt the rules that restricted the coven to be quite fair when it came to violence.  I only stood there, and said not a word as my brother scoffed at me as he laid back down, continuing his use of the opiates in his possession.  I turned and gently opened the door to the outside world looking back only for a second before I left Aiden to his folly.

 

 

                The midnight air was crisp and inviting, the scent of humans vacant since most were tucked away safely in their homes.  In the distance I could see the sharp silhouette of trees and tall buildings and before those silhouettes the twinkling reflection of the crescent moon on the bay.  I began to walk towards the sparkling body, the air dampening as I inched closer and closer to its banks.  When I had gotten within two feet of the water I sat down in the dew drenched grass and stared out across the silent pool.  Thoughts of the past few weeks flooded back to me too, manifesting themselves between the hypnotic rhythms of the shimmering reflections before me.  Images of mother…the news I received after the flight…it all came back.  A tear began to well in my eye until a slight ruffle and the soft sound of a woman clearing her throat broke through the silent walls around me.

                “I figured I would find you around here somewhere”

 

NOTE: I did some editing.  If you think I should add something or take something away please do not hesitate to tell me.

 

 



© 2008 Adam


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

pretty good

Posted 15 Years Ago


A nice second chapter. So far so good.

Posted 15 Years Ago


I think it's brilliant. It captured my attention right away, what with all of the detail, etc. I'm looking forward to reading more. Not to be rude, but hurry up with that, will you? Haha, just kidding.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

sorry it took me so long, I have a life again, which sucks
I like it so far, I would like to you go into more detail in the beginning with Aiden's emotions
Don't hate me if it takes a week for me to review =]:
But yeah, send more soon (I was sad to see it was so short, can't wait for the rest...)
zA~

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

163 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 27, 2008
Last Updated on October 18, 2008


Author

Adam
Adam

China Grove, NC



About
I'm a college freshman and have always had a passion for creative writing. Sometimes I stray from my norms and begin some sort of political satire but it never goes anywhere so I stick to my old pal .. more..

Writing
Four Four

A Book by Adam


Corpseflower Corpseflower

A Book by Adam


Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by Adam