Freedom At Last

Freedom At Last

A Chapter by Steven Schroeck

Chapter 13

Freedom at Last

 

            Operation Double Reverse Psychology had worked after all.

            All through the night, the Anerian army tunneled their foxholes and met them up just outside the central plaza. Fred had talked to the commanders about a saying he knew back home, that went, “All roads lead to Rome.” The concept was simple: use the GPS technology that had been developed but not been put to use, and combine it with Operation Double Reverse Psychology, and the Sneilians would be stunned. Which they were, in the end.

            The central plaza lay in ruin the next day. Smoldering buildings lined the paved streets, and rubble lay strewn carelessly. It looked like a war-torn child’s play pen.

            Fred didn’t get any sleep that night. He lie awake in his bed, images running through his brain of the past few hours. I killed a fellow Anerian for an unjust cause. That thought raced through his mind, and the image of standing and watching him murder Ty on a television screen played before him. I need to get a hold of that video before someone else

            His alarm clock rang, and Fred rose to greet a new day dawning in Anera. He got dressed, rode his Anerian transport up the chute, and walked briskly out of the abandoned, boarded up house, heading to the central plaza once more.

 

•••

 

            The sun shone once more into the government building as Anerians flocked to the large courtroom where there stood 30 Sneilians, clad in their army robes.

            Fred was the presiding “judge.” He stood in front of the Sneilians and spoke. “My Anerian brothers and sisters, esteemed members of the army, and ordinary citizens alike. I bring you here today to witness what could possibly be the greatest demonstration of freedom this planet will ever see. For years, your planet has been ravished and tormented by these creatures called the Sneila. The past has been harsh and riddled with wars. But I think we can all agree today, that yesterday’s war saw the good once again emerge triumphant.”

            Cheers sprang up around the court room. Fred continued: “Many Anerians lost their lives amid the past two day’s tragic events. One of them was my good friend, and good friend to many, Nas.” He paused. This is for you, Nas. “But this day is not for grieving our lost ones-alas, that day will come. Today’s gathering is meant for the condemnation of these Sneilians you see before you in this courtroom. The actions these Sneilians have taken are crimes that, here on Anera, would result in exile, and/or execution, depending on severity. So that is why I believe, it is in the best interests of Anera, and the best interests of the entire Ecaps Galaxy, that these creatures not be executed.”

            Cries of murder rang through the courtroom. Boos were tossed around like tomatoes at a Shakespearean villain. Many Anerians rose from their seats to protest Fred’s statement.

            “QUIET,” Fred boomed. Everyone silenced immediately and continued on. “As I was saying… These creatures should not be executed. Therefore, I believe that it is best that the Sneilians are forever banned from the Ecaps Galaxy. Their planet will remain, but shall be forcefully evacuated within the month by a select Anerian army. Any Sneilian seen within the boundaries of the Ecaps Galaxy will thenceforth be executed on sight by any other planet in the galaxy.” He paused and looked at the gallery of Sneilians. “Do I make myself clear?”

            The Sneilians gave no visible sign of response. “Very well. You all agree with the terms. The Anerian Freedom Proclamation shall be signed before the return of the Sneilians to their home planet, convoyed by the select Anerian army. From there, after a month’s time, the evacuation will begin, and Esab will no longer be considered a planet.”

            Cheers sprung up from the crowd again, as this time they figured out that they might finally be freed from the Sneila at long last. 



© 2014 Steven Schroeck


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

116 Views
Added on July 30, 2014
Last Updated on July 30, 2014


Author

Steven Schroeck
Steven Schroeck

Cincinnati, OH



About
I am a junior in high school an an aspiring author. I'm currently in the process of writing my first novel. more..

Writing