Compartment 114
Compartment 114
Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Chapter Two

Chapter Two

A Chapter by ScottWinchester

 Chapter Two: A Memory of Fire (in a Cold, Cold Place)


            Nicolle Darling was known on the online community as Salem. She didn’t know why she selected that screen name. She had once read that 90% of all people exaggerate at least a little about themselves while online. She never lied on the computer, but if she did, perhaps it was in the screen name Salem. It had a particular dark edge to it, a brooding something, that suggested Nicolle was more dangerous than she actually was. In truth, the young woman Nicolle Darling had turned into was far from dangerous.
            It was early morning in Savannah, still an hour or so from school time. Nicolle moved through the unlit room to her laptop which, like everything else in the Darling home, seemed to be falling to pieces. Before Howard’s Hardware closed she had managed to bring in enough paychecks to buy the Grand Am (which needed as much work as a hobo) and the laptop. The laptop took several minutes to boot up; she would press the power button, go into her bathroom, brush her teeth, take a shower, get dressed, and then return. By then it was usually running alright. As for this morning, it was, the Tybee Lighthouse background vainly trying to brighten her room.
            The connection was slow; the Facebook home screen loaded an image at a time. As she waited, Nicolle listened for sounds of life, inclining her ear in the direction of the living room. She heard no expletives, burps, or drunken cackles... her mother was apparently still asleep. If she hurried she could make it out of the house before anyone woke.
            At last Facebook loaded; no messages, no notifications, no friend requests... par for the course. It was a sort of routine, she supposed, that she continued checking at all; her list of “friends” online was fairly sparse, she never posted anything, she never chatted with anyone, with the exception of Timmy, who didn't really count. He was online, she saw, so she quickly turned her chat off, hoping he hadn't noticed her momentary appearance.

           Opening a second tab, she began her I-do-this-every-morning checklist by going to her email... sometimes the local bookstore sent her coupons for printing off. Slowly, slowly the email loaded; as she waited an alert appeared in her Facebook tab: Timmy Stoker sent you a message.


            LordNemesisOfTheTower: Nicolle?

            
            Nicolle sighed. She could run but she could not hide.


            Salem4: yes Timmy?


            Timmy typed so quickly it was almost as if Nicolle were having a face-to-face conversation with him.


            LordNemesisOfTheTower: Are you invisible?

            Salem4: am I not appearing on your friend list?
            LordNemesisOfTheTower: No.
            Salem4: then yeah, Im invisible.

            LordNemesisOfTheTower: Of whom are you hiding from?

            LordNemesisOfTheTower: Not me, I hope lol.

 
            For the briefest moment Nicolle considered telling the truth. She let out a long sigh before responding.


            Salem4: no, just someone I met online. annoying.
            LordNemesisOfTheTower: Anyone I'm acquainted with?
            Salem4: no
            LordNemesisOfTheTower: What’s his name?


            Nicolle shook her head. As she completed her I-do-this-every-morning checklist, Timmy completed his; checking to see if he was going to be replaced by another guy. In order to be replaced, though, you had to hold a position in the first place. She supposed Timmy did hold a position... “Pathetic Nerd That Clings To My Leg”, and she allowed him that solely from pity and an inability to cause someone hurt. Timmy seemed to think he held the positions of “Best Friend”, “Bodyguard”, “Nicolle Darling’s All Time Favorite Pal”, and “Possible Future Boyfriend.” Timmy was mistaken.


            Salem4: it isn't a boy. And I need to be heading out soon.
            LordNemesisOfTheTower: Is that odious maternal fiend awakened yet?


For a moment Nicolle just stared at that sentence. The sole person my age that I speak to and he sounds like he's stuck in a renaissance fair.


            Salem4: not yet. I’ll see you at school in a bit.
            LordNemesisOfTheTower: Cool. See you Nicky.


How many times had she asked him not to call her that? She had gone against her better judgment and even told him why, and yet he persisted. Knowing that the nickname held sentimental significance for her, perhaps Timmy hoped that in using it he could melt the ice around her heart. Timmy was, again, mistaken.
            Not even bothering to correct him, Nicolle signed out of Facebook and turned her attention to her email account. Newsletters from various websites, that was all. She had hoped against reality that someone had written her a real message, an interesting stranger, maybe. But as far as she knew, no interesting strangers had her email address. She would likely be too shy to give it to them anyway.
            Nicolle turned off her computer and tip toed to the bathroom to prepare for her day. She knew of girls in her class that took over an hour to prepare their hair, and their face, and their clothes, etcetera, etcertera. Nicolle thought about this as she picked through her black wavy hair, dressed in the same clothes she dressed in last year, and applied zero makeup. She was out in fifteen minutes. Her record was five.
            Somewhere in the valleys of Nicolle’s mind she knew that she envied those girls, even if only a small bit. She didn’t envy their infatuation with material things, or whatever else populated their world, but she did envy the friendships. Being at the top of the totem pole, those girls were given opportunities to rub shoulders with more desirable people. At the bottom of the totem pole, or perhaps even under it, Nicolle had Timmy, who she would excitedly trade for quite nearly anyone else. She felt a little bad for thinking it, but it was the truth. He was well meaning, usually, but he was very needy, and horribly annoying, and hyper sensitive. And smelled a little, to be honest.
             Nicolle walked back to her room and, just as she sat down onto her bed, heard the floorboards squeak across the length of the house. She inhaled slowly, hopelessly, and exhaled.
            She stood, grabbed her school things, and made for the door. She hated herself for not leaving two minutes earlier; needing to walk through the living room to reach the front door, she’d pass her mother, or perhaps her stepfather. Her stepfather, Stephen, wasn’t as bad as her mom, but that didn’t mean she wanted to see him. As Nicolle neared the front of the house she smelled cigarette smoke; where ever there was smoke, there was Fire Woman.
            Nicolle stepped into the living room. Looking more like Zombie Woman than Fire Woman, her mother was reclined on the sofa, a cigarette in between her fingers. The TV flashed multicolors in what was mostly a dark room; some show was on about women seeking to find the real father to their child. Her mother loved it.
            “Hey,” Nicolle said.
            “Hey,” her mother said. Whether from sleepiness or something else, the slur in her speech made it sound like Heh. “Where’re you going?”
            “School,” Nicolle said. “It’s Tuesday.”
            “Hm.”
            Nicolle darted across the front of the television... Fire Woman was known to flare up if her line of sight was obstructed for longer than a quarter second... and never stopped moving toward the door. She opened it and stepped out.
            “Hey!”
            Nicolle cringed. She'd almost made it. She turned back to her mother.
            “Yeah?”
            “Yes ma’am,” her mother corrected. Heaven forbid she miss out on the respect she so sorely deserved.
            “Yes ma’am,” Nicolle said.
            “Make me some cereal before you go,” said her mother-extraordinaire.
            She walked over to the cabinet, pulled out a bowl, and upended the cereal box into it, filling it to the brim. She then opened the refrigerator door.
            “We don’t have any milk,” Nicolle said.
            “Hm?” Her mother grunted. The audience on the TV had just erupted into a fit of boos when a possible candidate for father walked on stage.
            “We don’t have any milk,” Nicolle said.
            “Go get some, will you?”
            “I can’t, I have school.”
            To this her mother didn’t reply, but remained keenly focused on the reality-show based pandemonium. In the eighteen years of knowing her mother, her morning routine had stayed fairly consistent: fall out of bed, inhale something, watch several hours of game shows and reality TV, happen upon breakfast, inhale something, nap, watch some more TV while inhaling something... same ol’ same ol’. Nicolle wondered which emotion she felt more: pity or disgust. With her mother’s attention momentarily elsewhere Nicolle walked to the door.
            “Hey!”
            “Yes ma’am?”
            “Bring me that bowl.”
            Nicolle returned to the kitchen and took the milkless cereal bowl to her mother. She received no thank you before finally, triumphantly, exiting the house.
            The morning was covered with a light fog, the crisp misty feeling of dawn. All of the lawn ornaments were covered in dew; the spare tire, Stephen’s broken down pickup truck, the ripped trampoline, the many-dented mailbox that still reads DARLING, the name of her father who long hadn’t lived there. Nicolle’s Grand Am, also many-dented, sat in the gravel driveway covered in mist.
            In the distance (her memory adds “over the fence, through the patch of woods, and up the hill”) Nicolle saw her grandparent’s house. Grandmama Longlegs passed away two years prior, and ever since then the popular opinion was that Granddaddy Longlegs sat alone in the house, sad and old. Nicolle feared that it was true; even now the house looked dark and dead, though this was likely more due to the early hour than anything.
            Opening her car door, Nicolle fell into the driver’s seat and turned the car on; it didn’t have a working heater, so Nicolle rubbed her arms to compensate. The back glass was covered in dew, so Nicolle, taking the freezing steering wheel in hand, backed out on memory instead, carefully and nervously reversing down the small hill to the main road. She exhaled victoriously upon reaching the bottom without having hit anything or killed anyone.
            Nicolle drifted through the vacant Savannah back roads, her mind wandering; what would have happened if, perhaps, she hadn’t backed out successfully, but instead, say, an eighteen wheeler slammed into her, throwing her from the car and mercifully ending her young but overall unsatisfactory life? Who would come to her funeral? Would her mom even care to have a funeral? Timmy would come, as would Granddaddy Longlegs. Those online would wonder what had become of Salem. That would be pretty much it. And after that, then what? Did Heaven and Hell exist? Unlikely. Just as unlikely as angels coming and taking people away after they had died.
           After driving for ten minutes or so, passing from the countryside to the edge of urban Savannah, the school appeared. Nicolle pulled into the student parking area, uncomfortable as the eyes of students watched her do so, and turned the car off. For a moment she merely sat and stared at the surroundings.

           From her front-row seat Nicolle had a terrifically nauseating view of the various cliques of Maple Hill High School, none of which she belonged to. There was the long-unwashed-hair group, oversized jeans and hoodies, pretending to not care, puffing cigarettes behind the gym; the anime-nerds, tonally deaf to their parents-basement look; the band people, not quite as geeky as most movies portray, but still just as frisky; the walking-alone-goody-types, so chaste they don't even socialize, complete with soft blue dresses and books carried in arm's nook; the utter a-holes, menaces to pretty much anyone; the nice-but-standoffish popular people, being standoffish beside their super nice cars way off in the distance; and the not-nice popular people, basking in the sun of their own greatness over in someone's truck bed, no qualms about setting fire to some poor peasant's day. Nicolle had an ongoing acquaintance with a girl from that group, Alyssa Craven, acquainted in the same way a dart board is to the thrower of darts.
            Letting out a characteristic sigh, Nicolle opened the car door and stepped out, a chilly breeze welcoming her to school...
           … something caught her attention from the corner of her left eye, under the arch of the school’s front doors; she turned and saw that she had missed out on one clique earlier, one that had just arrived on the grounds. They were the
real “popular ones” of Maple Hill High, evidenced by every eye in attendance turning to watch. Even Alyssa Craven and her crew grew silent and stared; it was like a couple of big dogs, used to being top of the food chain, were suddenly humbled by the appearance of a pride of lions.

               They each wore a pair of sunglasses; aviators, cat eyes, clip ons, all of them clearly expensive. They walked with the confidence of kings and queens in a throne room, power and influence aplenty. They were the Chess Club, capitalized like that, not “the chess club”; they were clearly more than just a club of chess players, everyone agreed. Well behaved yet generating a feeling of danger; well known despite their preference for silence and solitude; outstanding achievements and grades, all while making it look easy. Attractive. Picturesque. Untouchable. The Chess Club.

                 And there he was among them, a member himself: Elijah Beaumont. Nicolle crushed on him in the way girls crush on movie stars: from a distance, in total and full awareness that they will never speak to that celebrity in their life, that said celebrity will never even think of them or know they exist. So it was a fantasy, that was all. And what a fantasy it was.

The rest of the Chess Club stepped through the front doors, leaving Elijah behind. He scanned the school grounds, left to right, the wind in his hair, his cheekbones sharp enough to cut your finger on, that sexy scowl; a passerby, Nicolle supposed, could be totally forgiven for believing they were stumbling upon the shooting of a commercial. She slowly eased herself back through her open car door, fearful of him seeing her no-doubt tangled hair, of him seeing her rusty, ugly car, of him seeing her staring across the way at him. His eyes, hidden behind sunglasses, passed over where her car was parked, not seeing her at all.
            A hard 
thump on Nicolle’s left window made her jump, snapping her from her hyper-concentration on the high school’s front steps to just outside her window. Timmy Stoker smiled and waved, looking in on her as if he hadn’t seen her in weeks. This was the common reception. Six-foot-two inches tall, weighing in at two-hundred and forty pounds, Timmy did little to improve his image. His shirt, short-sleeved in February, was gray and read “pwn”.
            Nicolle sighed, realizing that now she had no choice but to get out; she fumbled with her bookbag, taking more time than necessary, looking out of the corner of her eye to the front steps one last time. No longer was Elijah Beaumont alone, but was now accompanied by she whom he had waited behind for, his girlfriend Presley Llewellyn. Wrapping an arm around her tiny waist, the two disappeared into the school. Nicolle closed her eyes, reluctantly absorbing the mortal blow. After a moment she opened the front door (Timmy had to move to keep from being hit) and put on a small, fake smile.
            “Greetings,” Timmy said, smiling.
            “Hey,” Nicolle replied.
            “I got 
The Tower of Gilgamish IV last night,” he said as Nicolle closed the car door; a piece of the side mirror, already broken, chipped and fell to the gravel below. Nicolle turned and walked toward the front doors of the school; Timmy followed. “Meant to tell you this morning.”
            “Hm,” Nicolle said, keeping her head down. Presley Llewellyn was so pretty... and she was a C cup, not a B cup... her hair wasn’t drab, wavy black, but blonde and straight, styled to look smart. Her body was athletic, too... and she was so pretty... she and her mother likely got along great...
            “The graphics are impressive,” Timmy continued, scratching the bridge of his nose. “Not that big of an improvement over 
Gilgamish III, but it had good graphics anyway.”
            “Hm,” Nicolle said. Nicolle faced the facts; Elijah Beaumont was out of her league as it was, on top of him already having Presley on his arm. This was no movie, where the poor underdog somehow won the amazing guy. She had no chance.
            “There are five-hundred different classes to make your main guy into. Or girl, you can be a girl, too. I’ll probably make a separate file and be a girl on there. I’ve already decided what class I want her to be.”
            A moment passed in silence before Nicolle realized she had missed her line. “Oh... what?”
            “A ninja,” he said. “But I’ll make her be an illuminator first so she can get the skill Radiance... eliminates fog of war. If I combine the speed stats of the ninja with the magical stat of the illuminator, she should come off as a potent adversary to whoever I’m facing online.” A second passed before he dramatically added, “Prepare to be vanquished, foes!”
            He laughed nervously at his own joke. Nicolle smiled a little to be polite... even with her head down she knew he would be watching for her reaction... but did no more.
            “And the world on there is very large,” he said. “Like, really large. One website estimated it could take serious gamers up to three-hundred hours to see it all. You’d love it.”
            Nicolle would not love it. Timmy’s mistaken opinion came from countless recesses spent sitting on the bleachers, Nicolle politely listening to the sole person sitting with her. One of these days, she swore, she would tell him she didn’t care. On that same day, she would inform Elijah Beaumont of her weird desire to bite his muscular shoulders. So never.
            They walked up the front steps together, tiny Nicolle leading large Timmy, and through the front doors. Students filled the hallways, some walking to class, others standing and talking. No one even looked up at their entrance.
            “I wish I was home schooled,” Nicolle said so softly that Timmy alone could hear. “I hate it here.”
            “Surely you don’t wish that,” Timmy said; as was usual, each word was enunciated perfectly. Nicolle thought he did this to sound refined, or perhaps British. He chuckled and said, “I mean, consider that for a moment.”
            Nicolle did. “You’ve got a point, I guess.” Having scored a point, Timmy beamed.
            Doing their best to avoid everyone else Nicolle and Timmy made their way to the first class, math with Mr. Meister; the students welcomed punishment by sometimes referring to him as “the Mathmeister”. Not listening to Timmy expound further about 
Gilgamish IV, Nicolle gave thought to the part nicknames play in high school life; apparently unsatisfied with whatever connotations came with a student’s real name, his or her peers thrust a new name upon them, complete with new connotations and social status. The fun part was in waiting to see if your nickname would be flattering or not; some, like Presley Llewellyn, were gifted with affectionate names (Nicolle recalled once hearing her greeted as “Blue Hawaii”); others, like Mr. Meister, were given names that could go either way (depended on if you liked math, Nicolle supposed). And yet others, bless them, were christened with a name that announced to all within earshot that they were hopeless losers. Such was the fate of Timmy Stoker.
            Nicolle had two nicknames, one self-given and virtually unknown, the other attained during childhood, forever lost with the giver. At school she had no nickname. For the most part, at school, she lacked a name altogether.
            Nicolle and Timmy entered the mostly empty classroom and sat in their usual by-the-window seats. Nicolle slumped in hers and sighed; Timmy leaned forward but said nothing, merely placing himself on standby mode just in case Nicolle decided to talk. But Nicolle would not talk. In a sense, she hadn’t talked since that day she found herself hiding in the bathroom.

            While in the lunchroom hours later something struck Nicolle as odd. Teachers prohibited cell phones, run on sentences, sleeping in class, and mixing chemicals in the lab, yet seemed completely at ease with throwing the many school cliques together in a small area. Like said chemicals, combustion sometimes occurred.
            Timmy had been unsuccessfully trying to get Nicolle to smile when a pizza slice struck him in the side of the face; in shock his hand slammed the table, sending an assortment of food into the air, most of it going all over Nicolle and Timmy themselves. Nicolle’s mouth was an O, milk and taco bits in her hair. She thought hearing about how quickly elves leveled up was the bottom of the barrel, but no. 
            “Arrrgh!” Timmy roared, standing and facing the direction of the loudest laughter. “Stop throwing crap!”
            No one claimed the pizza slice (though throughout the lunchroom students giggled into their hands), and after a moment Timmy plopped back into his seat huffing and puffing.
            “Ughh!” He vented. “Those idiots! Gah!”
            “Don’t let them know they get to you,” Nicolle said, partially from a desire to keep him from standing and drawing attention to them again. She had also noticed that, in anger, his cultivated accent had reverted back to a normal one.
            “I need to go over there and let them have it,” Timmy said, a seriously disturbed look in his eye. “It’s Clay and Anthony, anyway, probably.”
            “Just ignore them,” Nicolle said. A few seats down a slice of ham dropped from the sky and landed in a girl’s tea; she jumped out of her seat, huffed a little, puffed a little, and then sat back down, too low on the social totem pole for self-defense.
            “Why?” Timmy asked. “
Why? What did I do in existence to deserve being hit in the face with pizza?! I don’t do drugs. I don’t smoke. I don’t rape people.”
            Nicolle stayed quiet and ate her salad. Head down, she spied across the lunchroom to the table she had been watching moments before the pizza appeared. Others viewed it as the Chess Club’s usual table, and it was, but for Nicolle it was the daily seat of Elijah Beaumont, who sat a short distance away from those of the Chess Club. Presley Llewellyn sat at his right with no taco meat in her hair, a vase of withering flowers sat on their table; Nicolle hoped it was symbolic.
            “I wonder what you have to do to be in the Chess Club,” Nicolle said.
            Timmy shrugged, eyeing the sunglasses-wearing students across the room as if they had thrown the pizza. “I don’t know. I tried to join once, I’m good at chess, but they said I wasn’t good enough. I don’t think they’re even 
playing chess.”
            “What are you talking about?” Nicolle asked.
            “I mean, just look at them... like that one,” Timmy said, inclining his head toward a dark skinned boy wearing a Letterman jacket. His sunglasses were of the aviator kind. “He plays football, for goodness sakes. I think his name is Darius something... he used to throw food at me too, before he joined the Chess Club. And one time he got in trouble for pulling a girl’s pants down. Are you gonna tell me that he was good enough at chess to join and I wasn’t? Give me a break, there’s no way he even knows a knight from a bishop.” A few moments passed. “They’re probably some kind of sex club, or something.”
            Nicolle snorted a laugh. “Sex club?”
            But Timmy was serious. “Or something taboo. Whatever it is, they’re not playing chess in that classroom they meet in.”
            A few moments passed after Timmy’s dramatic words. Then an unopened carton of milk exploded across the back of his head.
            “WATCH OUT, STROKER!”
            The lunchroom was laughing; Timmy stood, his arms out to his sides, milk dripping from his hair and fingers. His face looked surprised, then murderous. He turned to confront his assailants.
            A guy a few tables down cupped his hands to his mouth like a megaphone. “What’s up Stroker, been 
stroking lately?!”
            The hilarity peaked; Timmy’s mouth opened and closed, no satisfactory retort coming to his aid.
            “Yo Stroker,” a random boy bellowed, “hope me and your mom didn’t wake you last night! She’s a real screamer!”
            “DON'T YOU DARE... DON'T EVEN THINK!... DON'T TALK ABOUT MY MAMA!” Timmy stuttered, but the laughter was louder. Seconds passed during which Nicolle thought that, just maybe, Timmy’s desire to stand up for himself would see him across the room throwing punches. But Timmy’s lip finally quivered one good, hard time, and it was over; grabbing his plate, angry torment on his face, he marched over to the garbage cans, threw away his food, and left the room.  
            “I think Stroker’s gonna cry, Nicolle, you might wanna fetch him a tissue or something,” a girl giggled from Nicolle’s left; she turned and saw Alyssa Craven, smiling. Nicolle wanted to think of something to reply with. Nothing came to mind.
            Timmy temporarily out of order, Nicolle found herself alone in a room with over one hundred students. She kept her head down and spoke to no one. She spied one last peek across the room before leaving; the flowers from before, the ones she thought were dying, were apparently not, as a single beautifully healthy flower was picked from the vase and placed behind Presley’s ear. Elijah smiled at his girlfriend; she looked stunning.

            The house was not the same as it had been ten years ago. In memory the house glowed as if divine, and to Nicolle it was; it was her sole refuge from the harsh elements of Fire Woman. Now the house did not glow; whether from the gray of the day or the way of the times, Nicolle closed her car door and walked toward a house that resembled the old days only a little.
            Elijah Beaumont had kissed Presley Llewellyn beneath the giant oak, the wind blowing her hair gently, his strong hand cupping the nape of her neck, unaware that Nicolle’s heart was breaking from her vantage point far away. It was a movie moment, the way Presley smiled up at him, the sweet forehead-to-forehead whispers they shared afterwards. That was the ending to a disastrous/normal school day, the sour cherry atop the mud pie, as her grandmother had once put it. The mud pie itself consisted of an angry and humiliated Timmy following her around the rest of the day, Alyssa Craven whispering to a friend with her hand covering her mouth and her eyes on Nicolle, a failed test, Presley Llewellyn’s existence, and a wet dog jumping chin-high at her and peppering her in whatever fluid it had covered itself in.
            Nicolle walked up the front steps, kicked off her shoes on the porch, and stepped inside. A familiar fragrance slammed into her, warm and nostalgic: the peculiar mix of cigar smell and raspberry candles. No lights were on; Nicolle wondered if anyone was home. Had the truck been parked out front...?
            “Nicolle?” A voice from out of sight. Raspy. Quiet. Hopeful.       

     “It’s me,” Nicolle said, walking down the hall and peeking inside the open door. The room was as cozy as it had ever been; appearing to be doing nothing in particular, Granddaddy Longlegs sat in his recliner in the back corner, his hands on his legs as he rocked.
            “Well look’a who’s here,” he smiled.
            “Tis me again,” Nicolle nodded, stepping into the room and breathing deep. For whatever reason the room did not allow her to escape the real world in the same magnitude as it had in years past, but it got the job done regardless; Nicolle crossed the room and hugged her grandfather’s neck.
            “Might as well take you out and back and shoot you,” he quipped with a cautious grin. “Come in here looking like that.”
            “Be my guest,” Nicolle said, rubbing her eyes. “It was one of those days.”
            He nodded, his smile softer, his expression sympathetic. “Well, let it all go now, dearheart... you’re here now. Can I get you something to chew on...?” He made to get up, but Nicolle waved him back down.
            “No, I’m fine, don’t worry about it... “
            “No, lemme just get in here and fix some flapjacks, won’t take but a minute...”
            Nicolle’s second refusal died on her lips with a small smile as her grandfather moaned and groaned himself off his recliner and, at a slow and somewhat steady pace, marched himself toward the kitchen. For “flapjacks”; Granddaddy Longlegs knew how to make little else despite being in his eighties. Grandmama Longlegs had been the cook of the house; for two years now Granddaddy Longlegs had been without her and apparently still didn’t quite know the way around the kitchen. He kept her raspberry candles lit in her absence.
            Twice in Nicolle’s life had grief taken over. The first had been when she was eight, at the time
their room became her room. The second time Nicolle had felt such grief had been recent, two years prior, when she was sixteen. She had known it was coming; each time she visited Grandmama Longlegs she noticed that tightening in her chest, a foreboding of what was doubtlessly coming whether she wanted it to or not. She passed away while Nicolle was at home, pretending to be sick to escape the bullying trends of Alyssa and others. Her mother had her cleaning the living room when the call came.
            Nicolle had always known that she hated death, but only at the passing of her grandmother did it occur to her just how badly she hated it. The grief of losing one of the few good things in her life (and permanently) was paralyzing; she barely made it out of her room for the funeral. She often wondered: why invest in loving someone or something when it will not last? She once wrote in an English class journal,
Love is a hard drug. It demands all of your resources, all of your time, all of your attention, and when you're feeling the effects, you happily give it. But once the love-drug is gone forever, and you can never get it back, all you're left with is pain, like the memory of fire when you're trapped in a cold, cold place.

            Wouldn't it be easier if she didn't love Granddaddy Longlegs? When the day came that he was no longer around, she'd experience no pain, no come-off from that love-drug. And knowing this, she loved her grandfather with her whole heart, this man that held her when she was happy, sad, and otherwise. And why was she pursuing Elijah Beaumont? What if she, against all odds, somehow married him or something? One day he would die, too, and all of that happiness would be evicted to make place for suffering.

            And despite these thoughts... still, she stared at Elijah Beaumont and hoped. Despite these thoughts, there she stood with her Granddaddy Longlegs in the kitchen, watching him flip a flapjack over the stove.
            “Sooo,” Granddaddy said, “what was so bad about today?”
            Nicolle sighed. “The usual.”
            “If ever badness can be called ‘the usual’, Nicolle, then something oughtta change... you reckon?”
            “You may be on to something,” Nicolle said. Though her response had been sarcastic it still reminded Nicolle that she did intend to change things, eventually. The background on her computer was a reminder of that; she had seen a picture of Tybee Lighthouse as a little girl and, both suddenly and without any real explanation, it had become her prime destination, a distant place of peace and freedom. Once the school year was over " this plan had stood for always " that was where she would be.
            Granddaddy Longlegs was apparently a mind-reader.
            “Still planning for Carolina after you graduate?”
            “Yes,” Nicolle said, feeling a hopeful thrill in her heart. “And you’re coming with me.”
            “You betcha,” he said, his eyes on his sizzling flapjacks. 
            “You are coming, right?”
            Granddaddy looked up and chuckled. “I said I would, didn’t I? Assuming I’m able.”
            “You will be,” she said.
            “Well, alright then,” he said with a small smile. “Flapjacks are done.”

            As with every flapjack before these were eaten in the sitting room, Granddaddy Longlegs in his rocker, Nicolle on the rug beside him. After a few silent bites Granddaddy cleared his throat.

            “Not like your Grandmama made them,” he said. “Goodness alive, that girl could summon dinner from the throne of the Almighty, far as I could tell. These taste like I summoned them from Hell.”

            “I like them,” Nicolle said timidly.

            “Well, maybe not from Hell,” he said, taking another bite. “But maybe compared to Grandmama's, maybe. I really miss her fried chicken... mmmm-mmm.” They ate in silence for a minute or so, then, spoken so tenderly that Nicolle's heart stopped: “I miss her.” When another minute passed in silence, he tossed his last flapjack to the side. “She's making flapjacks for the Lord now, I suppose.”

            Suddenly the most terrible of images entered Nicolle's mind: her grandmother's decaying body in the ground at the cemetery. Nicolle turned her head, as if turning away from the sight. She wanted to cry. Not bitter, angry tears, not necessarily. Tears of deep sorrow. Tears of hope lost. Her Grandmama wasn't making flapjacks for anyone anymore, she was gone. Forever. Others had to light her candles now.

            Time passed; Nicolle tried to drink in the peace but found it difficult; the wall clock ticked into the silent room, each passing second a reminder that the day was nearing a close and the nightmare was soon to replay the next day. She watched as Granddaddy Longlegs fought sleep and eventually lost, his plate of leftover flapjacks in his lap. Before long the sun was setting and Nicolle's stress level began to climb again. It was time to go.

            Cleaning the kitchen and taking a few flapjacks for later, Nicolle turned out the lights, locked the back door, and lastly returned to the sitting room to give her grandfather a goodbye hug. When she did he did not awaken, and a cold thought took her: he's finally gone tooAt last I am alone in the world.

            But his chest rose and fell still; Nicolle breathed easy " but not too easy " covered him up with a blanket, and made for the door. When she reached her car she sat there for nearly ten minutes, staring at the dark windows of her childhood refuge, before finally cranking her car, turning on the headlights, and driving away.

 

            Nicolle had been checking her empty inbox when her mother called her in for dinner. She found the kitchen table as it had always been: cluttered, barely any room for the pizza her stepfather had brought home. A picture of familial happiness if ever there had been one, Nicolle, stepfather, and her mother-extraordinaire crowded the table with paper plates in hand, the air thick with cigarette smoke. A busted car part covered Nicolle's eating area; her plate of pizza ended up in her lap.

            “I nearly killed that sonofabitch Randy today,” Stephen said. “Had the audacity to tell me Neal Jimmy Jones caused the wreck last Sunday, and I told him, I watched the race, Randy, Jones wasn't a mile from the wreck, he just said that cause he knows I like Jimmy Jones Motorsports, wanted to yank my chain, so I told him that I betted Aaron Thompson started the wreck, since he roots for Aaron Thompson so much. Neal Jimmy Jones didn't do nothing, I watched the thing.”

            “Randy's always been that way,” Sylvia said. A morsel of food flipped out of her bottom lip and onto her arm; she raised her arm up and licked it back up. “You should have told him to shut it cause at least your wife don't run around on you like his does. Angie's been over at that house down Garrison Road several times that I've seen while Randy's been at work.”

            “Don't doubt it,” Stephen said.

            “That kid that hangs out in his front yard might very well not be his,” Sylvia said.

            “Don't doubt it,” Stephen said, taking another bite. Nicolle ate as quickly as she could. What'd you do today?”

            Sylvia cackled. “Saw this one show, had Darryl Shellnut in it... forget the name... I was dying. That one scene where he got diarrhea nearly gave me diarrhea from laughing so damn hard.”

            “Heh,” Stephen grunted. A few moments passed in silence, save for the sound of pigs eating from a trough. Then: “I said I wanted milk with this, why'd you get me whatever the hell this is?”

                Sylvia didn't appear to hear him; she raised her eyebrows (I'm sorry, what did you say?) and he pointed an annoyed finger at his glass of sweet tea (I said, where is my milk?). Now Sylvia understood; she nodded dramatically. “Well... honey, we would have had milk tonight but SOMEBODY forgot to bring some home.”

                Stephen had been digging at his teeth with a toothpick; at this, wide eyed, he pulled it out and stared at Sylvia as if they were about to fist fight. “Might want to shut your dumb mouth, babe, you never asked me to do nothing, if you'd have said bring home milk"”

               “Not you, I didn't ask you,” Sylvia spat. Then, as if referring to a badly behaved pet, she waved her hand angrily in Nicolle's direction. Realizing her mother wasn't challenging him Stephen resumed picking at his teeth, but it wasn't so simple for Nicolle; the atmosphere in the room had changed, her mother had thrown down the gauntlet. Nicolle almost offered a defense for herself, but why? When were these sort of disputes ever winnable?

                “This sweet tea tastes like somebody might've messed in it,” Stephen said to no one in particular.

                “So if you weren't doing what your mama asked you today, what were you doing?” Sylvia asked, sucking pizza juice off her fingers. “Sulking in some corner?”

                “I went to school,” Nicolle said. She hadn't spoken for the entire meal so far; her voice came out in a weak croak. She took a sip of her sweet tea. It tasted horrible.

                “Mmhm... and what about after that, hm?” Her mother's voice was so self-righteous, the honorable judge on high. “What about then?”

                “I visited Grandpa.”

                “He say whether or not he was gonna pay me back for coming up and fixing his sink?” Stephen asked, burping under his breath. “I can't afford to do free labor, now, he needs to be a man and pay up. I've got a family to feed.”

            “How's he doing?” Sylvia asked with a scowl. “Probably still wasting away up there... that's all he does now that Mama's gone.”

            “He's fine,” Nicolle said. “He made me some lunch.”

            “Now, I understand having a little bit to mourn after somebody dies and all,” Stephen said, leaning back in his chair and rubbing his belly. “I understand that. But damn, he needs to get over himself.”

                 “Aint dat tha trugh,” Sylvia said, her mouth full of pizza. She swallowed and said, “He acts like he aint got no other kin left alive. Don't ever come down and see me, never. And you know, Nicolle was round about the same way when Adam died. Sulky, mopey, playing the martyr, all that, drawing pictures of them together, and I'm thinking, draw a damn picture of me, I'm alive! I'm still kicking! Adam's done gone!”

                 Nicolle stopped in mid-chew, her mother's words lancing an old wound wide open. Adam. Thinking of him was unbearable, here and now, at this point in her life, at this kitchen table, after this day. We're gonna escape he'd said once with a grin, and she imagined them in mountains, or foreign cities, living it up anywhere but here, but that was over a decade ago, and here she was. Adam.

                Like the memory of fire in a cold, cold place.

                Nicolle began to cry.

               “Hear about Lloyd and ol what's her name, the bug-eyed woman, what's her name?”

               “I don't know,” Sylvia said, slapping her chest once, twice, three times, and belch.

               “Well, George said today that Lloyd's run out on his old lady, he's supposedly sleeping in bug-eyed lady's shed out back. Linda straight up,” burp, “straight up asked her if he was out there and she said no, but Lloyd's running his mouth down at the plant, said that bug-eyed what's-her-name... Charlene... she goes out there late at night.”

               “Promiscuous sex, is what it is,” Sylvia said.

               “Yeah.”

               “Don't know why anybody would run around with Lloyd... his face looks like he got it smashed in with a two-by-four.”

               “Hm.”

               “Well, maybe they'll both catch some rare nasty disease and all their nasty parts'll just fall off,” Sylvia said, grunting laughter.

                Nicolle sobbed hard and her stepfather and mother turned and saw her, their relaxed expressions vanishing.

              “What in the...??! What's your problem??” Sylvia flung her hands into the air. Stephen looked content to not get involved. “Well??”

               Nicolle shook her head; she couldn't speak.

               Sylvia's chair skidded backward and fell as her mother rose to her feet. Nicolle refused to look up at her but could see her in her mind, finger pointing angrily, her mother-extraordinaire's face messed up with fury. Her volume went from a one to a ten in no time; Sylvia was apparently picking up from whatever last argument.

               “HERE WE GO AGAIN, EVERYBODY STOP WHAT THEY'RE DOING, NICKY'S HAVING A SISSY FIT, UH-GIN! Ruining family dinner, no concern for others, honking that nose over there! What is your problem?? Answer me!”

                Nicolle shook her head, tried to answer, but no words came.

                “HM? HM? What??”

                Nicolle's breathing was choppy and pained. “I-I-I'm... … n-not... h-h-happy...”

                Silence followed. She was still unable to look at her mother but she knew the look she was wearing: absolute disbelief at what she was hearing, an expression of shock, as if the stupidest thing ever uttered in recorded time had just been said by the stupidest person ever.

                “Not HAPPY?? That pizza that I provided not good enough??! That bed you sleep on, paid for by your MOTHER, not super-squishy enough for you?? You should be counting your lucky stars, Nicolle, to have a mama like me, when I've heard of parents charging kids RENT to stay under their roof, and out of the kindness of MY heart, you get FOOD, you get WATER, you get SHELTER, you get EVERYTHING, or is this ADAM AGAIN, HUH?? HE WOULD BE ASHAMED OF HOW YOU LOOK AT ME, LIKE YOUR CRAP DON'T STINK AND YOU'RE ALL HIGH AND MIGHTY... what, can't take the truth??!”

               Nicolle was out of her seat and walking away, her movements like a zombie.

              “YOU SHOULD BE CHECKED OUT BY A PSYCHIATRIST, YOU HAVE SOMETHING SERIOUSLY WRONG WITH YOU, DON'T DISRESPECT YOUR MOTHER, NICOLLE, DON'T--”

                Nicolle closed the door to her room, fading her mother's yells to an unintelligible hum. She unbuttoned her pants and let them fall to the floor, removed her shirt, removed her B cup (not C cup) bra, and spilled into bed. She cried for a while, and once she stopped, she stared into her blank wall, into her lifeless room, into the carpet, and eventually into the future: she saw tomorrow the same as today, and the day after that, and the day after that, and all the days to come.



© 2016 ScottWinchester


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Nice move into the future with the Online world... interesting sluggishness, how Nicolle busied herself with the norm whilst techno slowly came into action!

Your words just stream out but in a tidy, controlled manner, few ripples of change of tempo which in fact add a little extra to the whole.

Your descriptions of the foremost and lesser mortals in this chapter are so graphic: the various groups at High School - especially the Chess Club members (clever!), the mother for whom i already, regretfully but unapologetically, have a secret title... and then, Nicolle. She, the stranded loner traumatised by Adam's death and i think, on the cusp of an extreme adventure, future..

The foillowing got to me, must stop letting emotions get the better of me!

' She often wondered: why invest in loving someone or something when it will not last? She once wrote in an English class journal, Love is a hard drug. It demands all of your resources, all of your time, all of your attention, and when you're feeling the effects, you happily give it. But once the love-drug is gone forever, and you can never get it back, all you're left with is pain, like the memory of fire when you're trapped in a cold, cold place. '

Only criticism: small font makes for tired eyes, have to stop for now, at this point.

Posted 8 Years Ago


ScottWinchester

7 Years Ago

You commented here seven months ago?? Wow, I'm so sorry... this site never notified me, I didn't eve.. read more
I love how sarcastic Nicolle is, especially when it comes to her mom! Overall, she seems like a real character and I like that you added in her insecurities about making friends- that was definitely something a girl her age feels.

Posted 10 Years Ago


ScottWinchester

10 Years Ago

lol Thank you for saying so; as a guy writing for a girl can be a little intimidating, but I did the.. read more
very emotional chapter. well done

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1574 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 1, 2013
Last Updated on January 2, 2016


Author

ScottWinchester
ScottWinchester

Cullman, AL



About
This is the official page for Scott Winchester's THE CHESS CLUB. Nicolle Darling knows all about unhappy living. Friendless, broke, and abused, she spends her time reminiscing about the days when h.. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by ScottWinchester



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..