The Broken Heart

The Broken Heart

A Chapter by Serena Tan
"

The Broken Heart

"

Chapter 1:

          Selene Newton was sitting on a black chair inside a small coffee corner beside her college. She was writing an essay which she had to turn in within two hours. Her left hand was holding a cup of coffee which she hadn’t yet drunk at all.

The coffee corner was quiet with only a few customers sitting inside.

“Assignment?” a voice came.

Selene looked up, and smiled at a cute barista.

“Yeah,” she replied.

“I think you’d better put the cup down,” the barista pointed at the cup in Selene’s hand. “Or you’ll surely have to rewrite the whole essay.”

“Oh,” the girl jerked a bit. She hadn’t realized how long she had been holding it. All of her concentration was on the essay.

“Thank you, Anny!” she said to the barista. “I was about to dirty my assignment!”

Anny chuckled. “Should you want anything else, let me know.”

“Sure,” said Selene.

Anny nodded and wandered away to greet other customers.

Selene turned back to the essay in front of her. She was about to finish it. There was only half a paragraph left. She had all the information in her head, but the problem was that she still hadn’t got any idea of how to end it appropriately.

As she was thinking, she felt that Anny had wandered back to her table.

The girl chuckled. “Don’t worry, Anny. I’m not gonna dirty my essay.”

But it wasn’t Anny.

“Oh,” Selene murmured as she looked up. “It’s you.”

James sat down on the opposite chair. “I need to talk to you.”

“But I’ve got nothing to talk to you,” Selene looked back at her assignment without caring the boy who was sitting just opposite her.

James sighed deeply, trying his best to stop his voice from trembling.

“Selene, I’m sorry,” he spoke, looking at her. “Listen, I’m really sorry.”

“I’m bored of that word,” she said coldly. “And if you would be so kind, please give me some time to stay alone. I need to finish my assignment.”

James took a deep trembling breath. “Okay, I’ll come back to talk to you when you’re ready.”

Selene didn’t reply. She kept fixing her eyes on the paper.

The boy stood up, looked at her with sad eyes, and then left.

“It is over,” Selene closed her eyes. She was about to forget him.

Why did he come back to talk to her?

What else did he want from her?

“I’ve hurt enough,” the girl spoke, trying to be strong. She could still remember that terrible day clearly. She thought back to it.

          “You are very beautiful tonight,” James put Selene’s face in his soft palms, and looked into her bright blue eyes with love.

“Thank you, honey,” Selene giggled, putting her arms around his neck. “You are also very handsome tonight.”

James smiled and bent down to kiss her.

“Are you ready?” he whispered. Their faces were only a few millimeters away from each other.

Selene nodded. “Our friends must be waiting. Let’s go.”

“Okay, honey,” James walked to his shiny black sport car, and opened the door for his girlfriend.

“Thank you,” the girl sat down on a soft leather seat. She felt like being a princess.

She giggled as her prince jogged to the other side of the car, pulled the door open, and sat down beside her.

A minute later, the sport car whirled into life, and started to run.

          “Hey, Selene!” Jess, Selene’s friend, greeted her loudly from the corner of the hall. She was standing with her boyfriend, Alex.

“Jess!” Selene grasped James hand, and ran to her friend.

“Wow!” Jess clapped her hands merrily. “You’re beautiful!”

Selene laughed. “Thanks, girl! You’re beautiful, too. This red dress really suits you well!”

Jess looked at her dress proudly. “Alex bought me this.”

“Really?” Selene turned to Alex. “The dress is really nice!”

Alex shrugged. “Not as beautiful as my Jess.”

“Oh,” Jess put her arms around Alex’s neck, and they started to kiss.

“Do you thi…” Selene paused. James no longer stood beside her. “Where’s James?”

“Maybe he’s gone to the toilet,” Alex suggested. “I saw him walking to that direction just now.”

Selene looked to where Alex was pointing.

“Thanks, Alex!” she said, and then walked to the toilet to find her boyfriend.

          Selene had been walking around the hall for several rounds, but she couldn’t even see James’s shadow.

“Maybe he’s outside,” she murmured suspiciously, and walked out of the hall.

James was really there, talking on a phone. His face looked very serious.

“Here he is,” she whispered to herself. And as she was about to walk back to Jess, she suddenly paused when she heard something.

The girl sneaked back to hide behind the wall to listen.

“I’m really with my friends,” James’s voice was worried. “No, honey. I’m not with Selene. I told you! Selene and I have broken up! Why don’t you trust me? I only love you!”

Selene’s legs were out of strength. She sank down on the floor.

James’s was still talking. “Really! I don’t love her. I only love you, honey. I don’t have any special feeling for a banal and boring girl like Selene!”

Selene’s feeling was already out of control. She could feel the confusion and melancholy surrounding her. She didn’t know what to do now. Her brain had stopped processing. She bit her trembling lips as she started to cry. Her hands were clenched. The fists were so tight that the nails cut into her palms. Blood ran out of her hands, and dropped on the floor.

James seemed to have heard her crying. He hastily hung up the phone, and ran to see what was going on.

“Selene!” he yelled in shock. He sunk down on the floor, looking at his girlfriend in tear.

“Selene,” he put his hand out to touch her, but the girl pushed him away.

“Why are you doing this to me?” Selene screamed without caring who was watching. “Why are you doing this to me?”

“Honey, I…”

But James’s face was slapped before he could finish the sentence.

He slowly turned his face back to her. He touched his red cheek in disbelieve. “Honey,”

“I’m not your honey!” the girl pushed his chest vigorously. “GET OUT!”

“But,”

“I said GET OUT!”

          “Selene!” a loud voice pulled Selene back from her deep thought.

The girl jerked, and quickly turned to see who was calling her.

“Jess,” she smiled shamefully.

Jessica sighed and sat down beside her.

“Are you okay?” Jess asked. “I’d been calling you hundreds of times, but you never responded!”

“I’m sorry,” Selene leaned on Jess’s shoulder. “I was just thinking about something.”

Jess shook her head. “You looked very serious, you know that? I thought you were having some kind of heart attack.”

Selene chuckled. She tried to change the topic, but her friend didn’t let it go so easily.

“You were thinking about James, weren’t you?”

Selene frowned.

“I wasn’t.” she lied, but her friend didn’t seem to believe her.

“You’re cute, girl. You should look for a new boy. Stop thinking about that terrible guy!”

“I told yo…”

Jess fixed her eyes on Selene’s face. “You can’t lie to me. I know you too well.”

Selene sighed deeply. “Maybe you’re right. Maybe I should look for another boy.”

“That’s my girl!” Jess spoke merrily. “Stop being sad; come on! Okay, let me finish this essay for you. Now, I want you to get out of this place, and look for a cool boy!”

“Good idea!” the girl laughed and stood up. “You’re a better writer than I. Maybe you can finish this very last sentence for me. I’m going to find some boys now. BYE!”

And she ran out of the coffee corner before Jess could grasp her back.

“I’m gonna tell you that I was just joking,” Jess’s mouth was wide opened. So, how was she going to finish this essay? “Oh, s**t!”



© 2011 Serena Tan


Author's Note

Serena Tan
Please kindly give me your review :D
Thanks!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

208 Views
Added on October 20, 2011
Last Updated on October 20, 2011


Author

Serena Tan
Serena Tan

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Serena Tan


Preface Preface

A Chapter by Serena Tan