Yang 3: The Daughter of the Dragon

Yang 3: The Daughter of the Dragon

A Chapter by Sharmake Abdi Bouraleh
"

Takamura is more than she appears, and knows more than she lets on.

"

"Nani!?"

 

Takamura nodded, her eyes narrowing as she thought quickly. "That seems to be the case."

 

The two of them had moved to the backroom behind the bar, in order to grant them privacy in case any of the patrons spoke English. Kyo was still thoroughly confused about what had just occurred, and unbelieving of Takamura's words.

 

"But…but how? She didn't make one mention of Hatsumomo! What're you talking about?"

 

The innkeep shook her head. "Misaki warned you to be careful. What should a member of the Japanese mafia care for a little boy? Especially one she never met?"

 

"How do you know she never met m--"

 

"It is the nature of my business to know, Kyo."

 

The boy gave her an inquisitive look. Takamura did have a way of knowing things. He used to think it was as she said, and that she simply became well-informed by the nature of those who gossiped over drinks at her tavern, but he had begun to suspect something else entirely -- after all, Misaki had said that Takamura had once belonged to a crime syndicate...there was definitely more to this woman than just a simple barkeeper.

 

The itako raised the kiseru to her pink lips, brow furrowing in concentration. "But why?" she murmured. It seemed as though she were almost speaking to herself. "Why would the Yakuza show an interest in Hatsumomo? Do they think they can use her as a bargaining chip to secure my services?" Her nose wrinkled in distaste. "Cowards, the lot of them."

 

Kyo was still confused. "But how did you know they've got Hatsumomo?"

 

Takamura gazed at him, the depth of her onyx eyes seemingly limitless. "Do you not recall what Misaki told you before she left?’ Be more careful, Kyo-kun,' she said. Have you forgotten who else said that to you?"

 

It dawned on him then. Hatsumomo. She said it when they first met. He'd been utterly inebriated at the time, but he did have the uncanny ability to recall most everything after such a mind-blurring state. Why didn't he see it earlier?

 

"But," Kyo began, "how could she know? How would she know what Hatsumomo told me the first time we met? She wasn't there!" He didn't bother asking how she knew that either. He already knew the answer.

 

"You forget," Takamura responded, "it is also the nature of her business to know as well."

 

Kyo frowned. She wasn't wrong. "So what're we going to do? We have to go back and get her!"

 

"Patience, Kyo," the innkeep said, "We’ve yet to even determine their objective. Haven't you been told that 'haste makes waste'? Rushing in without knowing the situation will only end badly for you."

 

He huffed. "We don't have time to wait. The Yakuza have Hatsumomo, what more information do we need? Need I remind you that this is the Yakuza!?" Kyo pointed an accusatory finger towards Takamura, anger overtaking him. "You, better than anyone, should know what they are capable of doing!"

 

"And I do." The itako's eyes narrowed dangerously, throwing Kyo a look that chilled him to the bone despite himself. "I know better than you, which is why I also know that the Yakuza will not hurt Hatsumomo recklessly, cowards though they may be. 'Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.' You'd do well to remember that, Kyo." The comely barkeep blew away smoke with a lazy wave of her Japanese hand-fan, the sensu. Her kiseru's smoke went out instantly, and she pulled it back up her sleeve as opposed to her usual place in her hair. "What troubles me, however, is the reasoning of why Hatsumomo was taken. No doubt they realize I care for her. But surely there's something more to thi--" Takamura's eyebrows rose in surprise, as a dark thought came to her. She mouthed something wordlessly, realizing the potential implications. "Could it be?"

 

What's with her? "What's the matter?" Kyo didn't even know what was going on, but he had already formed bonds with Hatsumomo and Takamura. They were his friends. He couldn't leave them now.

 

Takamura's eyes flashed towards him, an appraising look. "It appears that you just may become a vital part in this."

 

"In what?"

 

Takamura snapped her fan shut, the resulting sharp sound taking Kyo by surprise. "Very well, then. It seems that it is beginning, so there is no reason to delay. Neither man nor woman can stop the wheel of fate once it has started turning. Come along, Kyo." Her kimono whirled about as she turned swiftly, heading back out into the bar. It was all Kyo could do to keep up with her brisk pace.

 

"Hayate-san," Takamura called out as she entered the bar room and headed for the door, "Keep an eye on the shop. I will be out for a while, so tend to the patrons. The bar must be kept open no matter what. You will have his help as well."

 

A rather handsome boy of Kyo's age bowed, his perpetually-windswept raven hair shifting a bit as he did so. "Yes, Takamura-sama." Kyo noted that Hayate also spoke fluent English. Their eyes met and Hayate offered a friendly smile, one that Kyo hesitantly returned, before Hayate entered behind the bar-stand and awaited customers. As Kyo studied him, he seemed to be talking to himself. None of the customers were interacting with him, so Kyo wondered why he was talking?

 

"Hayaku!" Takamura called as she disappeared from the door, and Kyo hurried after her, the banner flaps in the doorway proclaiming "Thank you for coming!" whipping about behind him.

 

Outside, bright sunlight blinded Kyo momentarily, causing the boy to raise a hand to his eyes. The streets were bustling with people, men and women and children; Kyo even spotted several tourists, some Caucasian, some African, some Hispanics. He assumed they were tourists, at least. He didn't see too many non-Japanese people for long in Tokyo.

 

Takamura's geta made sharp clacking noises against the concrete pavement, and Kyo chased after her. All around him were bright signs and billboards and large buildings, interspersed with large, criss-crossing streets and moderate traffic. The sky seemed to be a good one today, with white, fluffy clouds floating affably so high up above.  Kyo wondered how such a beautiful day could occur when something horrible had happened.

 

Takamura didn't seem too interested in the weather, however. She remained focused and determined, briskly heading towards her destination. The itako's dark hair cascaded out behind her, flowing softly in the soft breeze, her pink flower-depicted, white kimono, sleeves and all, billowing about her. The boy's own hair whipped about his head, his vision constantly disturbed by the hair in his field of vision.

 

"Where are we going?" Kyo asked over the wind, struggling to keep his vision clear.

 

"To see an old friend." Takamura answered without even turning back, and continued to head down busy street after busy street. "We'll be in need of his services."

 

"Do you know him very well?"

 

"Oh yes. He was an old friend of my father's."

 

Kyo kept quiet at that. He didn't know if he wanted to ask the next question. Takamura interpreted his silence correctly, and chuckled.

 

"Yes, he is part of the Yakuza. His task is to help fake deaths if and when such an event demands it. He also dealt with the dead bodies."

 

The boy cringed. He already didn't like the sound of this. He kept his opinion to himself, however. Takamura looked at him over her shoulder and smiled. She seemed to know it anyways.

 

Around a corner they went, and into a less-populated alleyway. There was a rusty door there, and what appeared to be an eye slot. The itako stopped abruptly, turning to face the boy who almost bumped into her. Takamura raised a single finger, her eyes fastened intently upon Kyo's.

 

"Listen closely, Kyo. We are about to enter Japanese mafia territory. You are not to make eye contact with anyone within, male or female, and do not answer any of their inquiries. Pay attention to what is said, but make no acknowledgement to what you've heard. You have no need for words now, only your ears. Stay behind me and silent, and no harm shall come to you. Disobey, and you may find your life endangered." Her eyes glittered darkly for a moment. "And it may not be just by their hands." Kyo felt uneasy; he knew Takamura would make good on her threats. He nodded.

 

"Good. Take note of what is, but do not ask questions. Should any trouble arise and I am unable to help you, return as quickly as you can to the inn. Hayate will help you from there."

 

"But what can happen? You make it sound like they're strong enough to beat you. You're the strongest woman I know!"

 

Takamura smiled slightly. "It is better to be cautious than it is to be sorry. I am not so big a fool as to consider every battle already won and every opponent already defeated." She pulled out her sensu fan and spread it open in one deft hand movement, raising it to her face; her nose and mouth were obscured from vision behind a lovely depiction of a soaring, feral dragon. "Any questions?"

 

"Yes, why do w--"

 

"You already forget. Had you been inside, you could already be dead now."

Kyo wondered what she meant, but then realized -- he had just been about to ask a question. He made a mental note to keep silent next time.

 

Takamura nodded in approval. "Let's go." Turning to the door, the innkeep knocked on the door in a particular manner, a pattern that Kyo did not recognize. The eye slot instantly opened, a pair of turquoise eyes staring out at her curiously. "And your business here would be...?"

 

The corner of Takamura's eyes crinkled as she smiled behind the sensu fan. "I'm disappointed you do not remember me, Sonic-san. Is that any way to greet a lady?"

 

The turquoise eyes widened in shock, and immediately the eye slot closed, the door opening moments later. A tall, blond young Caucasian man pushed the door open, stepping out into the alleyway. He looked to be in his early twenties. He was dressed in a fitted white dress shirt with a black waistcoat, black slacks and white leather dress shoes. His sleeves were rolled up, and Kyo could see "Sonic" and "Snowdrift" emblazoned upon the man's right and left forearms respectively. He had a pair of black sunglasses pushed up on his head, almost lost in his shock of straight, blond hair. He bowed deeply before Takamura. "Gomen nasai, Lady Takamura. I meant no disrespect. I was unable to tell it was you from behind your elegantly-crafted fan. Please forgive me."

 

"I should hope it does not happen again, Sonic-san. I suspect our old friend Haruhiko-san is here as well?"

 

The man rose from his bow, nodded all the while. A friendly smile appeared on his face, genuine in nature. "He just so happens to be here, Lady Takamura. I'm sure you knew before asking, however."

 

"Yes, but it would have been impolite of me to not ask."

 

Sonic laughed. "Fair enough. Shall I escort you to him?"

 

"If you would be so kind."

 

"I would." His eyes skimmed over Kyo, but he said nothing, offering a small wink and a polite smile instead. The man turned on his heels, heading into the darkness of the corridor behind him. Takamura gracefully followed, leaving Kyo to close the door and quickly catch up with them. The corridors were rather wide, and lit by torches placed in sconces lining the path. Sonic removed one and lead them further down the path. Discussions could be heard behind closed doors, the sounds of rowdiness and angry shouts. Other rooms were quieter.

 

The path got darker, and fewer torches remained the further they went down the corridor. Sonic's torch burned with a fire so bright, it illuminated a large amount of the pathway around them. Ugly sculptures of creatures loomed above near the ceiling. Gargoyles and Gorgons, Wolves and Witches, Demons and Dragons. He even spotted some Oni, large demonic ogres, and felt a shiver of fear race through him. They all seemed so life-like, about to strike at any minute. All of the creatures were unsettling, especially the way their eyes twinkled, the result of being orbs fashioned out of obsidian. He was glad they were only statuesque sculptures.

 

Kyo realized that the only sounds were of their footsteps clacking against the ground. The silence aside from that unnerved him for some reason. Finally, a door loomed out ahead in the distance. On it, Kyo saw, a doorknob fashioned around a dragon head that jutted out from the door itself, its mouth open. Sonic stepped aside, his left hand presenting the titanium door before them.

 

"I'm sure you know what to do, Lady Takamura." Sonic announced with a smile. "You are far more proficient than I, so it would be fitting for you to do it. Any time you're ready."

 

The itako stepped forward, bringing forth her kiseru pipe from her kimono sleeve. Sonic stepped forward, setting the tip of his torch to the end of her kiseru, and a small flame disappeared into the smoking pipe before he stepped back. He looked to Kyo before speaking.

 

"I recommend you step back away from the door, if you value your safety." Kyo complied, falling in beside Sonic.

 

Takamura raised the kiseru to her lips and inhaled, revelling in the smoke. Swift as a coursing river, Takamura stepped forward and threw her hands back, fire bursting from her mouth spontaneously as a steady stream of flames flowed towards open brass dragon's mouth. She held the fire flow for a few seconds, before straightening up and exhaling a large amount of smoke from her nostrils. Kyo just stared on, a mixture of awe and shock on his face. She just breathed flames. How can she do that..?

 

Sonic beamed at her, pleased with her performance. "Ferocious as usual, Lady Takamura. I've yet to master that level of the technique, despite working here for several years. Perhaps one day."

 

"Practice makes perfect," the itako responded, before gesturing to the door. The dragon's eyes were now lit up in a brilliant shade of red, and smoke drifted lazily from the nostrils of the brazen creature. Sonic stepped forward, donning a pair of white gloves he pulled from his waistcoat's pockets, and grasped the dragon's large nose ring that acted as a knocker for the door. He tapped it against the door thrice, a reverberating, hollow sound filling the air as a result, before taking the nose ring in both hands and pulling on it.

 

Slowly, the door began to open, a large groan from the hinges renting the air as Sonic pulled. Within ten seconds, the door had been fully pulled open, and a bright light from within bathed them all. Kyo could hear footsteps and realized it was Sonic entering the room. Before he could regain his clear vision, he heard a new voice speak with a menacingly low gruff tone.

 

"Who dares disturb the Dragon of Death in his own quarters?"


Sonic looked unperturbed as he responded brightly. "Why, the Daughter of the Dragon herself."



© 2014 Sharmake Abdi Bouraleh


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats



Author

Sharmake Abdi Bouraleh
Sharmake Abdi Bouraleh

Ontario, Canada



About
I'm a writer, but I don't know what to write here. Awks. more..

Writing