Yin 4: The Children of the Zodiac

Yin 4: The Children of the Zodiac

A Chapter by Sharmake Abdi Bouraleh
"

In which some context is finally provided! Yay!

"

Silence followed Sonic's proclamation. Kyo rubbed at his eyes, finally regaining his vision. Blinking, he gazed into the open chamber.

 

Kyo gasped.

 

Takamura instantly shot him a warning glare, but Kyo was too caught up in the magnificent view. The inside of the room was absolutely cavernous. Enormous pillars sculpted of solid white marble held up a large, crimson canopy upon which stood a flowing white marble dragon. The chamber was incredibly spacious, ornate Chinese carpets covering the expansive, white marble-tiled floor. Massive oil lanterns were placed in the four corners of the room, bathing the space in a brilliant, slightly flickering light. Black zabuton sitting pillows were arranged artfully on the floor, beside a large, wooden table with a silken white cloth placed over it. Books were strewn on the table, some old and open, some new and closed.

 

Paintings adorned the walls, depictions of soaring, uninhibited dragons winding about the room. They were of different colours, red and green and blue and yellow and many more. Kyo noted that the white dragon statue above the crimson canopy sharply contrasted with the colourful dragons on the walls -- while the others seemed to be free and unrestricted, the white dragon appeared to be still and far more imposing than the others.

 

In the centre of the room, sitting cross-legged before the table, sat an elderly man, small in stature but fierce in his gaze. He peered at them over his glasses, wispy gray eyebrows arched in annoyance. He wore a matching pair of a kimono and a hakama for pants. He held a thick, leather-bound book before him, and seemed to have been in the middle of the book. A grimace tugged at the corners of his lips, nose twitching in displeasure at the intrusion. He snorted, but waved them in regardless, eyes fastened upon the elegant woman before him.

 

"The Daughter of the Dragon, is it? And what brings you to my humble abode, Takamura Matsumoto? What business does the famed Itako Empress have with me? The Dragon of Death is always busy, you know."

 

"The Dragon of Death will make time for the Daughter of the Dragon." Takamura's tone brook no arguments. "I wouldn't visit your 'humble abode' otherwise, Haruhiko-san."

 

The old man grimaced. "No, I don't suspect you would." He gestured to the zabuton pillows on the floor on either sides of the table. "Sit down."

 

The itako complied, gesturing to Kyo to follow before stepping forward gracefully and kneeling for but a moment before sitting upon her legs, her body turned to face the owner of the chamber. Her sensu fan still obscured her face, her other hand hidden beneath the sleeve. Kyo stayed quietly by her side, looking down at his clasped hands in his lap.

 

His presence did not escape Haruhiko's notice. "Who are you, boy?"

 

Kyo twitched, and opened his mouth to speak before Takamura's sensu fan covered his mouth in an instant, preventing him from making any sound. The itako gazed calmly towards Haruhiko, not even bothering to glance at the surprised Kyo. "He is my ward, and currently none of your concern. We have other matters to discuss."

 

Haruhiko gazed at her sternly before a small, almost bitter smile crept onto his face. "Another ward of yours, Takamura? Heh. You don't exactly have the best track record when it comes to wards, now do you? You know far better than I."

 

For the first time since Kyo knew her, he felt Takamura tense. He felt a slight aura emitting from her -- anger? There was something that could get Takamura angry?

 

The priestess ignored his jab, bringing the sensu fan back to her face. "You'd do well not to disturb a sleeping dragon, Haruhiko-san. You may find it rather unwise." Her eyes narrowed dangerously, brow furrowing in displeasure. "If you're quite done, I must discuss that with you. I'm sure you recall what I am referring to."

 

Haruhiko's brow furrowed as well at the mention of the topic. "Why that, of all things? What good does it do to talk of possibilities?"

 

"Haruhiko-san, I consider you too smart to be this big a fool. It has been ordained. It was only a matter of when."

 

The old man harrumphed. "And the fact that you're bringing it up now..."

 

"...means that it has begun," Takamura finished for him. "Which brings me to you."

 

"What need do you have of an old man?" Haruhiko murmured, annoyed at being dragged into this. "I had hoped it would happen well past my time. How unlucky I must be."

 

"Yes, we all feel very sorry for you," the itako said dryly. "How unlucky indeed."

 

The sarcasm did not pass his notice. "Unluckiness aside, how do you know for certain?"

 

"Because the first step has already been taken. Hatsumomo has been taken by your Yakuza companions."

 

"I'm an old man," Haruhiko complained. "Remind me of how this prophecy went."

 

The itako didn't reply, instead pulling the kiseru from her kimono sleeve. Raising it to her lips, she inhaled, puffing momentarily, before exhaling a rather large cloud of smoke that lingered in the air. Before their eyes, the smoke began to take on shape, form, density. Within moments, an image was formed: a few 'smoke men' surrounded a single figure in the centre. The shadowy figure in the middle was undoubtedly female, Kyo could see. Was that Hatsumomo?

 

An ethereal voice began speaking in soft, almost singing tones.

 

"With the theft of innocence shall evil stake its claim"

 

The smoke melted together and reformed, now depicting a boy and a woman with skulls floating about her.

 

"A hero shall rise, aided by a whisperer of death"

 

Again the scene changed, this time with several new people in addition to the two, seemingly fighting several opponents.

 

"Through trials will he go, rising to fame"

 

The boy was with fewer members now, some having disappeared in a puff of smoke.

 

"Though not without loss, those who heave their last breath"

 

More shifting smoke, now people joining up the fight.

 

"Good shall strengthen and answer the call"

 

More figures joined, except on the opposing side; the benevolent side seemed to be overwhelmed.

 

"Evil, in turn, will display its might"

 

Companion turned upon companion, both on the benevolent and malevolent factions.

 

"Flowing blood and betrayal shall be suffered by all"

 

The room itself seemed to darken somewhat, and the smoke figures turned a darker shade of gray.

 

"The world shall fall into everlasting night"

 

The smoke swirled together, reforming in the shape of a snake. It seemed to be shedding its skin, and out crawled a boy from the remnants of the snake skin.

 

"From the serpent that sheds its bonds shall come a wise son"

 

The smoke shaped itself into the form of an oxen, a young girl on its neck and grasping its horns.

 

"And from the strong oxen shall a clever girl be birthed"

 

Now there were more than more than a dozen running together towards something.

 

"Through the efforts of the twelve shall the destined deeds be done"

 

The running stopped, now members within the group were pointing at each other, and some looked forlorn and others angry.

 

"With assistance from those whose secrets shall be unearthed"

 

Coming together, and spreading apart, the smoke now took on the shape of twelve different homes. Outside each of the homes stood a child, and an adult.

 

"Sheltered while raised by the companions of the dragon’s daughter"

 

The adults disappeared, and the children matured, rising from a crouching position and walking towards each other.

 

"Together as one must the children of the zodiac stand"

 

The children all put their hands on top one another's in a pile as though making an oath.

 

"With their combined strength shall they stop the slaughter"

 

Two large, grotesque and severed hands appeared, along with miniscule words like death, disaster, chaos, and murder being tossed into the ground where they disappeared.

 

"And undo the sins sowed by dead devil’s hands".

 

The ethereal voice went quiet, though a slight echo could be heard in the enormous chamber. Takamura dispelled the remaining smoke with a simple wave of her sensu fan, the wisps quickly fading away from sight.

 

Haruhiko looked grumpier than ever. "A lot of death and disorder supposedly resulting from the kidnapping of a single girl. Are you sure that "loss of innocence" doesn't mean the girl just got fucked?"

 

Despite himself, Kyo felt a small smile form on his face. This man by be crass and crude, but he was also humorous. He was starting to like the Dragon of Death. The boy paused, mulling over what Takamura said. He didn't like the sound of this prophecy, not one bit. Who was the son born to the snake, and the daughter born to the oxen? Who was the twelve destined to stop things?

 

"I'm certain." Takamura didn't seem to share the humour. "As certain as the death destined to meet us all should the prophecy come to pass before the Children of the Zodiac can counteract it."

 

"Well then, we'd better damn well get on with it, don't you think? That still doesn't explain what this has to do with me."

 

"That's the best part." Takamura smiled. "The Dragon of Death is most invaluable to those who seek to stop the prophecy from ending horribly."

 

The old man's eyes narrowed. "How?"

 

"By joining me and gathering the Children of the Zodiac. As fond as you are of death and its secrets, Haruhiko-san, I very much doubt you wish to experience it yourself."

 

Haruhiko grunted. "Not yet. I may be getting on in years, but I've still got a lot of life left in me. They ought to name me the Dragon of Life, instead of that happy-go-lucky fellow." He gave a derisive look to the image of the green dragon on the wall.

 

"Unfortunately for you, that title is taken. I can assure you, however, that you will see your fair share of death should you come with me. At least deaths that don't include your own." She gave his abode a look over.

 

"Most everything is white, symbolizing the purity of death. Fitting."

 

"I got tired of dark and gloom being the main theme." He gave her an appraising look over his glasses. "You know full well the kumicho won't take too kindly to my defection, should I choose to do such. Not many men nor women can do as well as I can in this particular division of the Yakuza."

 

"Would you rather be covering up deaths for the cowardly mafia, or would you rather be putting your skills to good use and be more famous than your 'life partner'?" Haruhiko begrudgingly gave a small smile at her joke. "Really, Haruhiko-san," Takamura continued, "You invoked the Dragon's Dedication before the other Dragons and swore it by the Celestial Four. Your words are bound to the actions you promised, and the ultimate price for denial of you Dedication is death. Perhaps that would please you, a fitting end, don't you think?"

 

Haruhiko sighed. "I know. I simply hoped to prolong the conversation. It's not every day that a man has Takamura Matsumoto, the Daughter of the Dragon and the itako who is also known as the Whisperer of Death, come visit him." He gave her a knowing look. "It's not every day that I get to see the daughter of my beloved friend Hitoshi Matsumoto."

 

Takamura's face was impassive, but her tone was suddenly steely. "That man is dead. And he will stay that way."

 

The old man sighed. "You will have to forgive him one day, Takamura-san."

 

"Perhaps one day. Perhaps the day I die."

 

The Dragon of Death shook his head. "As you wish." Haruhiko heaved a sigh, before gesturing to the books around him.

 

"And all these books? Do you expect me to go on without them?"

 

Takamura snorted. "You have read every book in here thrice, Haruhiko-san. If you'd like, take only what you must. Traveling with a library upon one's back tends to not make one nimble."

 

Haruhiko considered that, before looking towards Sonic, who was standing to one side with a hand on his hip, listening to the conversation. "And what of you, Sonic? What do you plan to do?"

 

The blond man bowed. "I've been in your service for years, Haruhiko-sama. I expect to be in your service for many more."

 

Haruhiko smiled. "I am pleased to hear that. I also recall you have a photographic memory?"

 

Sonic nodded, straightening up. "An eidetic memory, yes. I've read all these books before. You needn't worry you'll forget something, Haruhiko-sama. I've got it all up here." He gestured to his head, tapping it lightly.

 

"Excellent, excellent," Haruhiko murmured. He caught and held Takamura's gaze. "I suppose you'll make up the loss of my cozy little abode?"

 

"In saké, if you'd like. I recall you're quite the drinker."

 

"Do I have a drinking buddy in you?"

 

"You just might."

 

Haruhiko chuckled. "Very well. I will come along and help you gather the Children of the Zodiac. Not that I ever had a choice." He gazed to the painting of the dragons soaring along the sky on the wall once more. "It's been quite some time since the Nine Dragons have been together, don't you think?"

 

Takamura reflected. "It's been 30 years, hasn't it? I was but a young woman then. Time flies as swiftly as the dragons do."

 

Kyo raised an eyebrow. Takamura is older than 30? She looked no older than thirty-five, when he had first met her. The way she spoke, she made it seem as though she was at least...

 

"Fifty years, and not a day past thirty. How do you do it?" Haruhiko gazed curiously at his companion.

 

The itako waved her sensu fan dismissively. "Saké is liquefied beauty. It's how I justify my alcoholism."

 

Haruhiko roared with laughter, clutching his belly as the sound erupted from him. "Takamura, you always did have a sharp wit! How very like your father!"

 

Takamura said nothing, and Haruhiko slowed his laughter, regaining his composure. "Well, it's been decided. I'm onboard this train to hell. What's next?"


The itako's onyx eyes glittered with a dangerous look. "Next, we reign in the Dragon of Life."



© 2014 Sharmake Abdi Bouraleh


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats



Author

Sharmake Abdi Bouraleh
Sharmake Abdi Bouraleh

Ontario, Canada



About
I'm a writer, but I don't know what to write here. Awks. more..

Writing